3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Game Night - Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bakalos
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, this past weekend I had a pretty epic board game night and wanted to report on it.

Start of the night: 6:00 PM My SO and I began by preparing a smorgasbord of healthy snacks, from a nice veggie platter, some fine cheeses, pate and crackers, a home made healthy spinach dip and various other munchies like, nuts and fruit etc. The first 3 people showed around 6 PM and we began the night with a light game of Carcassonne. 2 of them had never played modern day board gaming so it was a light and easy way to start. The game was a success and one of the new players ended up winning by 1 point! After that I got word that 2 more people were on their way, so while we waited for them, I taught the new people the dice game 10,000 (Maybe Farkle?) to play as a filler, while me and one of my core gaming friends played a quick match of BattleCON. I played as Tanis and he played as Lymn. The match started really bad for me, as he got me down to 6 health without me even hitting him once! I got into my rhythm though and came back with a huge finisher attack hitting him for 12 damage. I ended up winning the match with 1 health left. CRAZY!

Main Event: 8:00 PM After this game was over, everyone had shown up, we had a total of 12 people over and after everyone had settled in and got a drink/ate. I set up Deception: Murder in Hong Kong it was our first time playing it with the max number of players. It was amazing! everyone got so into it and we all had a blast. I played it on easy and only gave everyone 3 weapons and 3 evidence as there was 11 people guessing. As soon as we finished, the murder was caught and the accomplice and them made a guess for the witness and was wrong! Investigators win. Everyone immediately wanted to play again. We did just that and once again it was highly entertaining and we guessed the murderer on the first accusation, but this time they knew the witness and killed them, winning the game. Overall it played exactly how I suspected and was very happy with it. I packed it up after the 2nd game and moved onto Codenames because I wanted everyone involved. We played 3 rounds and everyone had fun as usual. After this we decided to split into 2 groups so we could play some smaller games. One group of 8 people stayed at the big table and 4 people split off to the smaller table. I set up Captain SONAR at the big table and taught everyone the game. Everyone was really excited based on my description of it, including 3 people who never played board games. The game started a little slow and clunky, teams were messing up when they could use powers, forgetting that they clear all damage when surfacing etc. but somewhere around halfway through it just clicked and it got very intense! Everyone was screaming and yelling and racing to blow each other up.
Meanwhile at the other table, my SO setup some lighter games for everyone. They started with a quick game of Sushi Go Party!, after that they played a game of Ticket To Ride: Europe. It went really smooth and everyone was enjoying it. After they finished both those games the big table was now on their 2nd game of Captain SONAR. So the smaller table moved to some smaller games as 2 of the people were quite drunk and unable to play, so my SO and a friend played a game of Patchwork while we finished blowing Submarines up!

End of the Night: 1:00 AM Things began slowing down after Captain SONAR was finished, we spent about 30 minutes talking about our experience and what everyone thought. Overall it was everyones favorite game of the night and want to play again! At this point a few people began leaving. There were only a few people left and I recommended Castles of Mad King Ludwig ( I bought the Polish version because my fiancee is Polish) the few people left thought it looked cool and my fiancee translated for everyone and helped teach it. The game went really well and the 3 people playing enjoyed it a lot. While they finished up I played a match of Summoner Wars with a friend who loves Magic: The Gathering and wanted to see what this game was like. She really liked it!
At this point it was 3:00 AM everyone was pooped and ready to go home. I walked everyone out and then we passed out hard! I got lots of compliments on a very good night of gaming and everyone wants to do it again!

That's my session report. Let me know what you think or comment on any epic gaming nights you have had recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great night! I brought out Deception: Murder in Hong Kong at a recent game night where we were supposed to play that and two other games... and we just ended up playing 5 rounds of Deception. Even the two who normally don't join the games much at all were absolutely engrossed and loved Deception. I was (mostly pleasantly) surprised.

The one I'm curious about is Captain Sonar. I've not tried this one yet, but normally I'm lucky to get 6 people all playing a game at once. Would this game still be fun at just 6?

In any case, kudos on the excellent game night, and I hope you have many more like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bakalos
Canada
flag msg tools
Captain SONAR would still be great at 6, as long as the two Captains are familiar with the game, as they will need to perform two roles the Captain and the First Mate (The easiest role) assuming the Captain can do that, the game will play great at 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.