Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The status of Japan is a bit enigmatic in this game. According to the rules (15.3.1) it sides with the Allies once the CW and Germany are at war, however the exact control of its forces are split between Germany (controlling most naval and all land forces) and the CW (controlling some naval forces). My question is this: On the turn the CW declares on Germany, are German units considered surprised if any Japanese units (both CW and German controlled) attack them. This is especially confusing, as the CW would act with the Japanese units it controls during the same impulse it declared war on Germany, while Germany would do so on the following CP impulse (presumably to invade German ports).

Interestingly, the defender in an invasion can choose to omit the nominal defense force, which is exactly what did I when my German controlled Japanese attacked my German territorials in Tsingtao. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Germany is surprised by Japanese units, too, on the turn CW goes to war with Germany. Regardless of whether they are controlled by the German player or not - they are still "Japan".

Oh, and good idea on the German player choosing to ignore the German notional on the Japanese invasion! I must confess that didn't occur to me... but it's clearly the right way to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I raised the question about the notional units resisting Japanese invasions on this thread and the response was that they couldn't do that. I would expect this to be errata-ed at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Witmer wrote:
I raised the question about the notional units resisting Japanese invasions on this thread and the response was that they couldn't do that. I would expect this to be errata-ed at some point.

Thanks. If that's what the designer says, it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Witmer wrote:
I raised the question about the notional units resisting Japanese invasions on this thread and the response was that they couldn't do that.

That makes sense... time to put some Japanese infantry back into the forcepool whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.