Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
“Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.” ― George Iles
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister and I began playing Takenoko yesterday for the first time and we love it. However there were a few things that we felt needed some changes to make the game better. We don't wish to change the rules too much but we didn't like:

How we intend to go for Panda or Gardener objectives rather than Plot objectives.

How the value of Plot objectives are not worth the trouble of completing them.

Since I'm familiar with Ticket to Ride, I found this variant and thought it was a great idea:

Choice in Objectives

I like the idea of shuffling all of the objective cards together. I've also read this variant:

Simple variant to correct imbalance in objective cards

It tells you to take a card from underneath the deck so you don't see the back of the cards but I think it would be fiddly that way.

I've also read somewhere that you could make the plot objectives count twice their labeled value if irrigated. If not irrigated, you get the printed value.

The question is what do you think? And what other necessary rules did you feel needed to change and found a variant for it? Such as the weather dice etc.?

I would appreciate it a lot.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We only use one variant rule, the official Diversity one from the Chibis rulebook:

Chibis rulebook wrote:
Note: The following variants can be played with or without
this expansion.

Gourmet
The Panda cannot eat the bamboo’s first shoots, only the upper
sections.

Diversity
At the end of the game, each set of different Objectives categories
(Plots / Gardener / Panda) earns 3 additional points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've also read somewhere that you could make the plot objectives count twice their labeled value if irrigated. If not irrigated, you get the printed value.

I thought the plots has to be irrigated to score? Am I wrong about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
Quote:

I thought the plots has to be irrigated to score? Am I wrong about this?

No, you're not.
Plots must be entirely irrigated in order to score the corresponding objective card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do.

But it's hard to do, hence people not taking those objectives very often. They were just explaining a variant to make them more attractive/easier to score, so they would get taken more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that Gardner/Panda objectives tend to be easier, I've not found Plot objectives to be undervalued in our games, especially later in the game with a well developed garden

I think having a variant that would allow for plots to be scored for non-irrigation or double for irrigation would really hurt the balance...swing it to far towards plots being to valuable. But has anyone played it that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:
We only use one variant rule, the official Diversity one from the Chibis rulebook:

Chibis rulebook wrote:
this expansion.

Gourmet
sections.

Diversity

Thank you, I shall try this one! We have just played a game of Takenoko an hour ago and we've tried the variant where you shuffle all of the objective cards together and then draw a card from the bottom of the deck. We didn't like it at all, it made the the game heavily luck dependent. My sister got a lot of Gardener objectives while I got Plot objectives with cheap values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
While I agree that Gardner/Panda objectives tend to be easier, I've not found Plot objectives to be undervalued in our games, especially later in the game with a well developed garden

I think having a variant that would allow for plots to be scored for non-irrigation or double for irrigation would really hurt the balance...swing it to far towards plots being to valuable. But has anyone played it that way?

Plot objectives are really not worth the trouble. I'd be wasting too much actions cultivating plots and irrigating them only to get two or four points. Especially when I could use even less actions to get the Panda eat or the Gardener grow bamboos for six or more points. That's why I was wondering if that variant would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the official diversity variant plus

- when choosing to take channels you take two instead of one

- to claim panda objectives the panda must be on the pond tile during your turn (my daughter interprets as it has to poo. .. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:
tmgergo wrote:

Chibis rulebook wrote:
this expansion.

Gourmet
sections.

Diversity

Thank you, I shall try this one! We have just played a game of Takenoko an hour ago and we've tried the variant where you shuffle all of the objective cards together and then draw a card from the bottom of the deck. We didn't like it at all, it made the the game heavily luck dependent. My sister got a lot of Gardener objectives while I got Plot objectives with cheap values.

Tried this variant this morning, thank you! I believe this is the best one yet! With this variant I'm more than eager to grab those Plot objectives and not ignore them! I won this time, managed to get 9 additional points for completing 3 sets of different objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matmo wrote:
I use the official diversity variant plus

- when choosing to take channels you take two instead of one

- to claim panda objectives the panda must be on the pond tile during your turn (my daughter interprets as it has to poo. .. )

Haha, the last one! That's so cute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried changing parts of the weather dice? I thought this one was a great idea:

Question mark becomes Lightning Gardener

What do you think? Has anyone tried it please?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One thing I forgot: it's not really a variant, only a setup house rule.
We 'draft' the starting hand of cards. Everyone draws two per type, keeps one of each, discard the other (+ reshuffle the decks).

You can pick and choose three cards that kind of work together with this.
E.g. if you have a green gardener card you will probably want to add a couple of green tiles to the garden anyway, so it's a good idea to keep a plot card with green tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.