Subject: Game for 4 year olds? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried out the basic/first version on my 8 year old nephew at the weekend, and it was a bit complex for him. Are 4 year olds really supposed to be able to play this?

I mean he was able to follow the steps but I think the gameplay was a bit over his head. I don't think he'd be able to play it with his peers and I'd be surprised if a group of 4 year olds could play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with my 4 (now 5) year old is that this game does not work at this age. Even in its simplified version, the core of the game relies on negotiation.

Beyond that, even with me guiding the negotiations, my daughter did not seem to have fun. I will try again sometime down the line, but I think this a failed attempt to make a "kids version" of a popular title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can't imagine trying it with a 4 yo, but I imagine possibly some kids are more studious than others. Maybe it's cultural! laugh

I'm surprised that it was such a specific age though, if they didn't test it out much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Jenson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it maybe 3 or 4 times with my 4 year old and my 6 year old. The 6 year old seems to be starting to grasp the concepts well, the 4 year old has to be guided through all of her turns. My turn is typically over in 10 seconds while their turns take several minutes each. They both enjoy it because they find the cards humorous and enjoy having a board game that they can play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.