Subject: Will it be a good game for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I am not an experienced gamer, rather casual, but I like to learn. I play quite a lot, but mainly the same games. I haven't got many of them. I've played games like Carcassone or Ticket to Ride, but I guess they're far less complicated. Things I like in board games:
1. Theme - just like in Ticket to Ride, I really like to think about building the routes.
2. A little bit of luck, but not too much. It should make the game funnier, but you should have some strategy to be able to win nevertheless what was on the dices.
3. I like to use the brain and my memory.

Do you think I will like the game? How complicated is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, though the game is a 10 with 2p for me, your parameters don't lead me to believe that you will like this. It really is amazing, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw good opinions and I liked the main "idea" of the game. The thing I am mainly afraid of is that I'm too inexperienced for it. We usually play as 2 or 3 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with 2 or 3, that's the best player counts. It isn't overly difficult to understand, but to excel at it would take some experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read (and watched the explanation on yt) the rules and they aren't too difficult but I see the difficulty to be quite good at the game. The thing I like is the theme and the many options you can make during your turn.

Maybe I'll ask such a question: is it a good game to start playing more ambitious games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with a couple of less gamer-y friends, they liked it, though they certainly struggled to pick it up well in the first play - One of them did a second game and did far better (Not enough to beat my scores, but I play a 'lot' of games ^^).

Getting your heads around it the first play without someone who knows it might be a bit of a pain, but I think if your group can get 2-3 games under your belt it could start to shine - If you think people won't give it the chance, maybe not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nilcorc wrote:
Hello,
I am not an experienced gamer, rather casual, but I like to learn. I play quite a lot, but mainly the same games. I haven't got many of them. I've played games like Carcassone or Ticket to Ride, but I guess they're far less complicated.

Grand Austria is a couple steps more complicated that those listed. The rule book is several pages, maybe 4. Whereas the rule set for Ticket to ride is about half a page.
nilcorc wrote:

Things I like in board games:
1. Theme - just like in Ticket to Ride, I really like to think about building the routes.
2. A little bit of luck, but not too much. It should make the game funnier, but you should have some strategy to be able to win nevertheless what was on the dices.
3. I like to use the brain and my memory.

I think this game has a strong theme to game relationship. Not everyone does. There is no route building. The dice in this game do make for some luck, but it is largely mitigated by your choices. There isn't much "memory" mechanic to this game.
nilcorc wrote:

Do you think I will like the game? How complicated is it?

it'll take about 20 mintues to cover the rules, and 2-3 games to master the rules. It's likely just a bit more than you have in mind, but . . . who knows, you just might enjoy it. Any chance of trying it before you buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know there's no route building That was just an example, here from what I've seen you can feed the guests and put them to the rooms and that's quite nice.

I don't think I'll be able to try the game without buying it. Unless there's an online version with AI... But I haven't heard of such a thing.

I know it's much complicated than the games I've mentioned but is it a good game to start playing more difficult games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could be great for you.
Yes you'll need some time to learn the rules and play your first game but after that you'll have a ton of fun.
On occasion you'll need to look up a card in the rulebook, but most icons are very intuitive after your first play.
The game is also great with 2 and 3, a bit less so with 4 (you sometimes need to wait some time between turns).

And your interest in this led you here already and that is a very good sign aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nilcorc wrote:

I know it's much complicated than the games I've mentioned but is it a good game to start playing more difficult games?

Normally I wouldn't recommend this as a step up from the games you played. Your skipping a step sort to say.
But since you found this appealing by yourself I think you'll like it. you like the theme, a bit of luck, but still decisions to deal with those situations. It's a very cool game I think you'll greatly love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nilcorc wrote:

I think it might be, if you start with 2 or 3 players. I don't mind it at 4 players, but lots of people complain about excessive down time between turns so I'd start with less first game.

It's definitely a middle weight game in my book. And one of the most thematic in my collection. It is much lighter than Agricola, Le Harve, Caylus, Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphratis, Power Grid, Russian Railroads, Age of Steam, Carson City, Goa. It's a similar weight to El Grande for me. Don't know if any of those mean anything to you.
Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the problem, the name of 1 of 2 of those mean something to me, but I've never played them as
1. I am not a fan of such themes
2. I've started playing board games around a year ago.

I like to think logically and I like games that haven't got complicated rules but are quite difficult to master (e.g. bridge). I just think about a step forward in board games and also I'd like to play a game that's not about dwarves or killing trolls. Not sci-fi, fantasy or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nilcorc wrote:
That's the problem, the name of 1 of 2 of those mean something to me, but I've never played them as
1. I am not a fan of such themes
2. I've started playing board games around a year ago.

I like to think logically and I like games that haven't got complicated rules but are quite difficult to master (e.g. bridge). I just think about a step forward in board games and also I'd like to play a game that's not about dwarves or killing trolls. Not sci-fi, fantasy or something like that.

I'll drop 1 recommendation then Coal Baron
It in between ticket to ride and grand austria hotel.
Theme is mining coal, getting them up to the surface and delivering them by train, carts or trucks.
Very fun game.

You can check out You Tube to see games being played to give you an idea it it's for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like Coal Baron as well. Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I do like Coal Baron as well. Good stuff!

thumbsup

Oh and it plays great at al player counts which is nice aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nilcorc wrote:
I read (and watched the explanation on yt) the rules and they aren't too difficult but I see the difficulty to be quite good at the game. The thing I like is the theme and the many options you can make during your turn.

Maybe I'll ask such a question: is it a good game to start playing more ambitious games?

You have probably seen enough from the videos to see if you would like it. What's not to like

I would agree this is a little more that one step up but not that much more. Though there is a lot going on in the game, I think the Complexity rating on this is a little inflated (BGG 3.22).

So yeah, it might be a little ambitious but with the help of Miwi's excellent play through and other videos like Rahdo - you can do it!!

My wife and I played this game for the first time this weekend and LOVED it (We also got through without a single mistake which almost never happens.)

Other recommendations would be: Cinque Terre. This is a little easier to pick up, (but for some reason makes my brain hurt more). BGG weight/complexity 2.39. Love it!

Takenoko (BGG 1.98): Just a great, fun game!

Sanssouci (BGG 2.05): It is a light, easy going next step game.

Regardless, have fun gaming and maybe report back if you got the game and how it went. There's a lot of great folks here to help!

Now I want to try Coal Baron as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you showed me so many new games, that I'll probably be spoilt for choice!

I'll report when I get one of those games, currently I'm a little bit for GAH but I need to read (and watch some films on yt) about the games you suggested. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janusz Smola
Poland
Dubeninki
PL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most likely Grand Austria Hotel will be big step forward in game complexity for you and your game partners.
Its great game but during first few plays you might feel like it is too hard and scores are too random. If you think that won't be a problem then you should go for it. Otherwise I suggest to get some less complex games (lets say 2.5-2.8 complexity on bgg).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again,

I don't know if you're still interested but I'll share my experience with you. Finally I decided to get this game, because after watching some rahdo's gameplays I liked the mechanisms in GAH the most of all.

Before it came, we (me and my game partners) borrowed 7 wonders as a game a little bit more complicated than e.g. Catan or Ticket to Ride and I think it was a good idea. We spent a few evenings playing that and we had so much fun and it prepared us for something harder (much harder). But even though 7W was easier, I think I prefer GAH. It's not so random, but sometimes after the game I feel how many things I should have done better and what stupid moves I've made. I think it's quite a popular mistake for a beginner that I too often count for something nice from the dice... As I said I really like the mechanics, I like the fact I have got so many choices and ways to win the game, I also like the theme, the pictures and that the game makes me think a lot. I have fun.

What I didn't like is what most people say: the time between my turns. One of my friends like to think a lot on his move and when we play in 3, I can make some tea or check something on the net. But for 2 people - it's great. The other thing which is a drawback for me is the quality of the cards. The pictures are nice, the symbols are quite logical (sometimes of course we need to check them, but it's easy to remember the actions on cards), but unfortunately the cards are very thin and I think they will be in a bad condition quite soon.

To sum up, thanks for your advice, I think this game will make me a better gamer and I'm gonna spend a lot of hours having fun while playing it. If you've got any remarks or something, please reply to this post.

PS. Sorry if the description is a little bit chaotic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with many of the posters on here that it will be a big step up in complexity for you. That being said, I think you can handle it. Most people don't give themselves enough credit when it comes it board games, and the mechanisms in GAH aren't so tough. I would highly suggest printing out one of the many cheat sheets on board game geek for the people you're playing with as deciphering the iconography can be the hardest part for new players.

If you are truly interested in upping your complexity I do have a few other suggestions for you.

As many people on this forum have mentioned 7 Wonders is a phenomenal step up from those intro games and is really good with every player count but 2. It will do "wonders" for teaching your group about modern card games and how to build a tableau.

Another great title is Castles of Burgundy, it might not look super interesting but I promise if you give it a chance like it. It's tile laying isn't any more difficult than Carcassone, but it does a phenomenal job of teaching new players Euro style scoring and how to work within markets. .

Finally Lords of Waterdeep and Viticulture are both excellent introductory worker placement games. Each of them are a blast to play and aren't so complexed that new players will get overwhelmed with the amount of choices available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nilcorc wrote:
Hello again,

I don't know if you're still interested but I'll share my experience with you. Finally I decided to get this game, because after watching some rahdo's gameplays I liked the mechanisms in GAH the most of all.

Very nice to hear you enjoyed it.
Have some geekgold to get a grand Austria hotel badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, I am just after another play of this game and I think this was the best of all (of course in a 2-player game). None of us has done over 150 points yet, but we're getting close. Now it was around 130-140 and the more games we play, the more interesting they are. And I have a feeling I start to understand it better.

I would also like to thank you for the recommendation of Coal Baron. I think it can be really nice (I liked the gameplay), but a) it was quite hard to get b) I still preferred GAH after gameplays.

What do you think about games like Isle of Skye or Agricola. They're available in my library and I think I will borrow one of them after Christmas.

Thanks for all other recommendations, I'll check them out, maybe I'll find them in a library nearby too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nilcorc wrote:

I would also like to thank you for the recommendation of Coal Baron. I think it can be really nice (I liked the gameplay), but a) it was quite hard to get b) I still preferred GAH after gameplays.

What do you think about games like Isle of Skye or Agricola. They're available in my library and I think I will borrow one of them after Christmas.

Thanks for all other recommendations, I'll check them out, maybe I'll find them in a library nearby too.

Coal Baron (or Gluck Auf as it is called aswell) is certainly one to keep an eye out for.
For us it's that perfect light but still brain burning. Although our real love lies withing more medium to heavy games with no mean interaction, those and cooperative games are my gf and mine preferred games.

Isle of skye we just got (just being last Friday) and we played it twice so far. Very cool game, bidding games that are great with 2 are a rare thing, and this works brilliant. Also very cool tile laying puzzle.

Agricola we had very early in our collection, but my gf disliked how mean and unforgiving the game could be. She generally dislikes games that are unforgiving in a mean matter.
Maybe we'll try the new edition someday. With alot more games under our belt these days maybe Agricola could work for us.

I would like to throw one more recommendation your way, this was a personal hot at Essen game for me. Ulm
Very cool example of a perfect medium euro with cool interaction, plays fast works like a charm with 2.

Feel free to ask if you got any more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Mastalerz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All recommendations given here seem to be interesting, but I can't afford so many games at once and not all of them are available at the library.

I'd like to ask about one more thing. As there are times when I don't have gamers around, I found out that there's a solo variant of GAH. Is it a good way to master my skills in this game when I don't have anybody to play it with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew fawcett
England
YEOVIL
Somerset
flag msg tools
Mateusz, I think you might find Austria a bit tricky. On the description of every game on BGG there is a "complexity rating". Without being patronising, you might like one with a slightly lower rating. I would recommend Quadropolis. Castles of Mad King Ludwig is good, also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.