Subject: Are the cubes supposed to be limited? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran out of one cube type before the end of the game (gold - once the big castle points had gone, everyone started to hoard gold, and the game ran on and on as only one player was trying to close it out).

We decided that as the rules said that there were "about" 100 assorted cubes, that the component mix wasn't supposed to be a hard limit, and kept track of the extra gold earned on a bot of paper. Were we right to do so, or is the cube mix supposed to influence the gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not believe that the cubes are supposed to be limited. The same thing seems to happen in Yspahan. However, the rules state that if no one builds a section of the castle in a turn, you remove 2 tokens. Were you playing by this rule? This should limit the length of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
No it's not supposed to be limited.

Normally the cubes provided in the box would be enough for 95% of the games, but hoarding is always a problem

Tip : when you've got a lot of gold, try to build a prestige building. It's really rewarding !

Regards,
Cyril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - we'd built the lot.

I suspect that it was a slightly odd game - we were using the basic rules, yes we'd forgotten the "discard two tokens" rule, started with a lot of meat available, stone appeared halfway through the game, and there was very little wood all game. So instead of going for sets of cubes for the castle, three out of the 4 players went for prestige buildings then gold.

As I was the 4th player, and whupped them, I don't think that gold hoarding was the best move ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.