Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys:
I just thought I'd put this out there.
We had fun with it.
This is my first attempt at designing a scenario.
If you could call it that.

By Chris Saad
CC EUROPE
SITUATION REPORT
Central Germany 1945

American and Russian troops are searching for V2 rocket components and plans, when two forces meet.
Both forces engage the other to secure vital technology.

BOARD 6: Configured as per scenario generation

OB RUSSIANS: Any elite company and assigned leaders as per scenario generation
OB AMERICANS: Any line company and assigned leaders as per scenario generation
Support troops and defense points as per scenario generation

YEAR MARKER: 1945
VICTORY POINT MARKER: As per scenario generation
TIME/SUDDEN DEATH MARKER: 0/8
TROOP QUALTY/ORDER LIMIT: Russian – Elite/4
American – Line/4
POSTURE: As per scenario generation
INITIATIVE: As per scenario generation
OBJECTIVE CHITS: Open: A F K N Q
Russian – none
American – none
OBJECTIVE CONTROL: As per scenario generation
SET UP: As per scenario generation
SURRENDER MARKERS: As per scenario generation
FIRST TURN: As per scenario generation

We just played it, with one side choosing a Russian guards rifle company, and the other choosing an American veteran rifle company.
Sergeant Kaminsky was chosen with the support roll, making both postures recon.
The Russians have the initiative card and set up first, 4 hexes from the bottom edge of the map image, the Americans set up next, 4 from the top edge.
The firefight ended on the first sudden death roll.
It was hard fought and could easily have gone either way.

Thanks for checking it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't there some issues with using two Allied decks in a scenario? Something to do with the distribution of random hexes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Idea, looks like it was a fun game.

The American deck and the Russian deck both have identical random hex determinations, so without an axis deck in play there are ROWS of hexes which are safer from snipers and air strikes, etc, than adjacent rows. A clever player would take advantage of that and keep his crucial leaders on the safer rows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
Aren't there some issues with using two Allied decks in a scenario? Something to do with the distribution of random hexes?

As I recall the allied decks and the axis decks each generate half of the possible random hexes.

I'm not sure offhand whether this is a serious practical problem or just a minor quirk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
The American deck and the Russian deck both have identical random hex determinations, so without an axis deck in play there are ROWS of hexes which are safer from snipers and air strikes, etc, than adjacent rows. A clever player would take advantage of that and keep his crucial leaders on the safer rows.

That's not a real issue. You're already safe from your own Sniper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initiative numbers are both even also.
We just decided if the initiatives are equal, we roll, the greater of which gets the card.
Even though the decks aren't designed to oppose each other, we never ran into any issues that required a special ruling during play.
At least none that we noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
From what I can tell you will never have a blaze event. There may be other events that won't occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We had a breeze event, no blaze though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some of the Russian Actions around Melee will be useless ( win VP against a German ) unless you SSR it. But overall, mechanically it would work I think.

As far as the Random hex thing, doesn't matter. Both players can take advantage in theory; its not like in ASL where one side has a higher likelihood of Snipers than another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
Do you generate both Breeze and Blaze?

Only AXIS deck has Blaze event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
Gunderian007 wrote:

Option : shuffle Axis deck.. when a russian event roll, dice roll, or hex roll is need, just discard the next russian card AND roll on the axis deck ???

When Russian player needs to make a new deck, make the same with Axis deck ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmoipap wrote:
ahmedhadzi wrote:
Gunderian007 wrote:

Option : shuffle Axis deck.. when a russian event roll, dice roll, or hex roll is need, just discard the next russian card AND roll on the axis deck ???

When Russian player needs to make a new deck, make the same with Axis deck ....

Easier solution would be for one of the allies to deduct 1 from all of the random hexes. So if you roll A2 you read A1.

As for the Blaze there is several solutions.
German and Italian deck have 6 Blaze events in their deck.
USA and Russians have 6 Breeze events in their deck. If they play against each other, one just treats Breeze as Blaze and that's that.

Brits and French have 12 Breeze events, Partisans have 6. This is 16.67% of their decks which is double the percentage from the other decks. This only poses a problem if you want to throw Brits against French or Partisans or any other option within those three. To keep things manageable if that happens, Partisans can treat their Breeze as Blaze.
If French play the Brits, then every other Breeze event should be treated as Blaze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
msg tools
mbmbmb
We've played out many Russian vs French (Allied Minor: Polish) battles simulating the early 1939 Soviet Invasion of Poland and had a great time

We use the urban sniper (+2 +4) alternate rule, so the columns weren't really an issue. Breeze/ Blaze just alternated between them when they came up. Never had any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.