Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eric chang
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I destroy this dice tower, I thought it would be nice to share a piece (pun intended) laugh

Like most people, I wanted a solution for keeping dice rolls on the table and from disturbing the game pieces. I've had too many earthquakes on the island of Catan. At first, I tried the box cover- no, dice trays weren't satisfying. After some searching, I discovered dice towers! I couldn't wait to try my hand at making one. I bought foam core and drew a quick sketch.

Here it is in action.

As you can see from the bent bottom foam core bar just above the die, it got plenty of action over the years.

Some interesting things to note
Size- Could have made it smaller.
Front- transparency film.
*One of the best parts of this tower.
Side- interlocking joints.
*Made it easier to hot glue for alignment
Top- A window to guide the dice to the first baffle.
*Increased the chance that the dice will land on the first baffle. (See second pic)
Top Baffle- white adhesive foam sheet.
*Dampens sound and cushions initial impact.
Movable Tray- friction fit.
*In hindsight, I should have made the lip higher with internal side barriers. However, I liked that the yellow felt helped slow the dice down a bit.

Dice Storage

I'm not sure how important this is but apparently, when building a dice tower, make sure that your gap between baffles is smaller than the size of the dice!

Geek Chic
dice tower on Left- no gap.
Mine on Right- almost the size of a die.

I felt exuberant after seeing it take form, like a mad scientist and his frankensteinish creation. I stood it tall and threw in some dice as if I was feeding the monster. The dice thumped a hollow sound against the foam core wall, and as the dice zig-zagged down, the plastic clanged together in delight. A broad smile sprung across my face and with no effort at all, I found myself laughing. What was left to do but to declare proudly, "It's alive!"

Okay, this post is done. I'm killing it. zombie
Gotta upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.