Subject: If I use ramparts, is purple dice pretty much necessary? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,
Just got Troyes and Ladies of Troyes in the mail today. Pretty excited to bring it to game night. Knowing that there are always tons of games at our game night, games get cycled very slowly, so basically after a session of Troyes it could be a few months before it comes out again. So I want to be sure this outing is as succesful as possible to ensure it comes out again.

We are a group of medium heavy euro players (trajan, caverna, concordia, orleans etc...) most are familiar with Troyes, and some have played it online.

I was considering playing Troyes with the ladies expansion mostly to use the ramparts (bring in all the extra cards next time we play). Being that Troyes is such a tight game, it seems to me that it is nearly impossible to bring out the ramparts without having an extra dice (purple) as there are already so many things to do. Is this a correct interpretation, or can one really bring in the ramparts without the purple dice.

Thank you for your input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never play with the purple die. It makes things too easy on the players devil It also extends the length of the game. The ramparts also extends the length of the game. So, when you combine both, some have complained about the length of the game with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah I agree. Pick some of the modules, not all. Personally, I usually just play with the extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with the ramparts once and utterly disliked them. The purple die and extra cards are wonderful though. Also, check out the Black Champagne PnP expansion in the file section. Another wonderful addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the ramparts. It gives you an extra option when there are only a few low numbered dice left, especially since you can augment the number with money.

Ever since I got Ladies of Troyes, I've used all the modules every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramparts are hit or miss depending on the combos of the cards.

I find they are more useful in 2-3 player games when there are more chances to 'get pips'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.