Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Beardsley
United States
Nashville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, something is a bit unclear to me about the deck building, and how it comes into play for the later expansions to come. Please forgive me, as I am fairly new to board gaming, and have never played an LCG before.

Must I restart my deck every time I start a new campaign?

Do the small box expansions coming count as a new campaign or do they count as a continuation of the base campaign? Will I need to start a new deck for those, or do I use the deck I finished with when playing the core game box?

Thanks everyone for you help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beardsae wrote:
Hey everyone, something is a bit unclear to me about the deck building, and how it comes into play for the later expansions to come. Please forgive me, as I am fairly new to board gaming, and have never played an LCG before.

Must I restart my deck every time I start a new campaign?

Do the small box expansions coming count as a new campaign or do they count as a continuation of the base campaign? Will I need to start a new deck for those, or do I use the deck I finished with when playing the core game box?

Thanks everyone for you help.

I'm going to leave standalone play out of this, but you could look that up in the rules if you want to, it is different than campaign play.

When you start a campaign you build a deck as per the rules on your investigator, which, so far, is only 30 level 0 cards from the relevant classes and neutral cards. Dunwich Legacy will be the start of a new campaign and there will be 6 additional mythos packs that include it. So that's 8 scenarios, and you do not build a new deck from scratch in between them, rather you spend your XP and make changes as per the rulebook.

When you finish a campaign, like the one in the Core Set, you have the choice of either starting fresh with a new 30 card level 0 deck for Dunwich Legacy, or you can continue to use your current deck with all the upgrades, but also all the trauma and weaknesses you acquired. So far, I'm personally looking at each campaign as a fresh start, although I imagine after we have a few more sets it'll be fun to try to get a specific group of investigators through a series of campaigns. Hope this answers your questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Rules state that you use a deck with no XP cards in the first set up for the campaign. You may create any deck according to the investigator requirements.

All your other questions have yet to be answered as we don't have a new campaign. So we could be allowed to continue with the XP we've gained or we could be told to start fresh.

With co-ops you also have the opportunity to bend some of the rules to fit your style.

One thing I might try for example is every INV starts with their signature card in play/hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
supermarino wrote:
I'm personally looking at each campaign as a fresh start, although I imagine after we have a few more sets it'll be fun to try to get a specific group of investigators through a series of campaigns. Hope this answers your questions!

Ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The end of the campaign book in the core set does say that the game is designed for you to reset your deck in each campaign and not carry over, but that you can "embrace the chaos" and carry over if you wish. The game is designed to start a new deck for each campaign.
Note that the small box will be the start of a new campaign, but the successive mythos packs will continue that campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Beardsley
United States
Nashville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, that does certainly answer my questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if you play the campaign game, you'll only be adding new player cards through XP in the first cycle? That seems a bit odd to me, depending on the distribution of new player cards in the mythos packs.

I'd think I'd be far too keen to rebuild a deck when new cards become available - that is given the presumption that there will be a bunch of level 0 cards in these mythos packs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:
So, if you play the campaign game, you'll only be adding new player cards through XP in the first cycle? That seems a bit odd to me, depending on the distribution of new player cards in the mythos packs.

I'd think I'd be far too keen to rebuild a deck when new cards become available - that is given the presumption that there will be a bunch of level 0 cards in these mythos packs...

You should feel free to play the game how you like. However, following the rules for campaigns mean that, yes, you would only add new lvl 0 cards using XP. There have been other threads where other players are considering whether to follow those rules or not. I will probably use that as an excution to restart the campaign with each new pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.