Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Tandlmayer
United States
Wilkinsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, so after a long wait I finally have both the game and the English language files!

So now I have no idea exactly how to make the game playable. My thought was to print the Book of Tales on double-sided paper and get it spiral-bound at Kinko's. I'm not too concerned about that, actually. The main thing I'm stumped on is how exactly to paste the paste-ups onto the German pieces.

I am a terrible cutter, but I could recruit someone to help me possibly, but is there some easier way I'm missing? I thought that the tiles file would be formatted so you'd just have to paste the first side onto the unpunched sheet of tiles and then flip it over and paste the reverse side, and then punch. But then I looked and the file isn't formatted that way at all, which complicates my simple plan.

Same goes with the map--what kind of paste do I use? That looks a bit easier, since the pieces are larger and there's less room to mess up. I guess my concern is with how well they will wear--I feel like they might end up getting scuffed and then looking like an old sticker.

For people who have purchased the German version, what did you do to make it playable? I've been looking at the files and am pretty unsure as to how to proceed, so I appreciate any help you can offer me. I have no experience with print and play games, so if there's some supplies I'll need to purchase (card stock, hole puncher, certain kind of glue, exacto knife, whatever) please let me know!

Thanks,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Avery full sheet removable sticker labels. That way if you have to replace it later, it does not damage the board, and you can reprint and reapply. They work fine for me and seem to hold pretty well. Make sure you look for the word removable, that way you do not get the stuff that perminantly sticks.

For the cards, I think Patrick printed his out on paper and inserted the card and paper into a plastic card sleeve. For my cards, I actually completely recreated the cards, graphics and all and created new cards. The problem is that I cannot distribute the result of all that (lots of) work because we do not have permission to distribute the graphics on the cards.

Oh, and on the counter sheet: No, I did not think to make it match the existing one. I did not want to punch out the original. What I recommend is printing each page on cardstock. Then you use Super 77 glue to paste one side to posterboard, and then carefully line up the other sheet as the backside. Then I used a rotary cutter to cut it out. That makes pretty good counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I recommend using Sterling's advice.
I have seen his work, and it looked very professional!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tandlmayer
United States
Wilkinsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So Avery Full Sheet removable sticker labels come in a package that I can put into my printer? That sounds really convenient!

I can see Patrick's idea working--I have a million card sleeves floating around from Magic. I'd imagine the Arabian Nights cards would fit.

Does cardstock fit into a regular printer? I'm not really sure how thick it is, or if it comes in different thicknesses.

Super 77 Glue--where can I get a hold of this stuff? I'm assuming it is lighter and less globby than most glues.

Can I get posterboard at Office Max or should I go to a craft store?

Also, what exactly is a rotary cutter and how much would one cost?

So that would take care of the counters, the cards, and the board. The player sheets I guess I could just print out in English. They don't seem that fiddly.

My biggest worry is getting the tiles cut straight, but I guess if I print them out, I can just try again if I mess it up badly. My original thought was attaching them to the unpunched counter sheet that came with the game, making it a have-to-get-it-right-on-the-first-try operation.

Thanks for the advice, and please let me know where to get all this equipment--I wouldn't mind running out today to pick it up!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Q: So Avery Full Sheet removable sticker labels come in a package that I can put into my printer? That sounds really convenient!
A: Yes

Q: Does cardstock fit into a regular printer? I'm not really sure how thick it is, or if it comes in different thicknesses.
A: Yes for most laser printers. I think mine is like 70 or 110 lb. I just use a 300 sheet pack from Walmart for $5.

Q: Super 77 Glue--where can I get a hold of this stuff? I'm assuming it is lighter and less globby than most glues.
A: About any hobby or hardware store. It is an arisol (spelling?) spray. It provides a light even coat for perminant application of card stock to poster board.

Q: Can I get posterboard at Office Max or should I go to a craft store?
A: Either. Whatever craft store is cheaper

Q: Also, what exactly is a rotary cutter and how much would one cost?
A: It a circle blade about 2 inches in diameter fitted in a handle. Rather than dragging an X-acto blade across paper, it cuts by compression for a neater cut.

A: You will also need a self-healing cutting mat to cut against.

All of this seems like a large cost for one project, but it supplies you for many projectss.

Q: So that would take care of the counters, the cards, and the board. The player sheets I guess I could just print out in English. They don't seem that fiddly.
A: I just printed them on cardstock from a color laser.

Q: My biggest worry is getting the tiles cut straight, but I guess if I print them out, I can just try again if I mess it up badly. My original thought was attaching them to the unpunched counter sheet that came with the game, making it a have-to-get-it-right-on-the-first-try operation.
A: Using the existing one would be difficult becuase you have to match the cut lines with the label paper. I just found it easier to create new ones. However, if you wish, you could modify the excel file to match the existing counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tandlmayer
United States
Wilkinsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, what is the file Map_WildArea_Lighter? Do I print that out on sticker paper and attach it as well?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tandlmayer
United States
Wilkinsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I have an inkjet printer, will this project be a big problem?

I'm trying to find out if my printer can accept these different types of paper, but assuming it can, will it matter if it is a laser or inkjet?

Thanks for the quick answers!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: What is the file Map_WildArea_Lighter? Do I print that out on sticker paper and attach it as well?
A: If you read the rules, there is an addition to the dice roll in the wild area. It is not really clear from the German map what is the wild area. That file is just the non-wild area, brightened to make it clear what is the non-wild area. Print it on label paper, cut out the label paper in an oblong shape around the non-wild area, and stick it on the map. (This is also why you use removable sticker paper)

Q: If I have an inkjet printer, will this project be a big problem? I'm trying to find out if my printer can accept these different types of paper, but assuming it can, will it matter if it is a laser or inkjet?
A: It should work fine. One thing to consider is the map labels is a lot of ink. On an ink jet, it may cost a lot in cartridges, and may not be cost effective. For the high color images, it might be more cost effective to go to a copy store and pay the $1 to $2 to print the image from a color laser. Usually, if you bring the .jpg or .pdf in on a thumbdrive, you can have them print it directly, and not incur any time on a computer there. Just plug in the drive and give them the file, and they can print it for you. Make sure you bring in the removable label paper for them to print onto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tandlmayer
United States
Wilkinsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, you've been so extraordinarily helpful!

I went out and bought the Super 77 glue, some 90 lb Card Stock (between 67 and 110), and a small package of poster board. My mom has a rotary cutter lying around somewhere that I can use. The only thing I couldn't find was a package of removable full sheet sticker label paper. They had what I wanted, but it wasn't the removable kind at Office Max, so I might have to order it from their website.

Either way, I can at least begin getting the tiles cut out, which is the more difficult part anyway.

I think your plan to get a printing place to print it out is sound. While I'm at Kinko's I can inquire about making the Book of Tales more user-friendly than I could do at home (i.e., a ton of pages connected with staples).

Thanks again for all the help!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: The only thing I couldn't find was a package of removable full sheet sticker label paper. They had what I wanted, but it wasn't the removable kind at Office Max, so I might have to order it from their website.
A: Amazon.com: Hmmm. It looks like the packaging has changed. Try searching for: Removable-Laser-Inkjet-Labels-AVE06465
OfficeDepot: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=365572

Q: While I'm at Kinko's I can inquire about making the Book of Tales more user-friendly than I could do at home (i.e., a ton of pages connected with staples).
A: I recommend spiral binding. (Not comb binding). The spiral binding allows you to fold it all the way back on itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey sterling- this seems like as good a place to put this as any- THatnks for getting me the files. Like I said then, once I saw them, I felt the need to update them much like you did with the map (make them look more 'natural' when stuck to the cards). I did do that, but not to my satisfaction, so I mean to redo them in the near future. Basically I used a cool-looking and thematic, but nigh unreadable during gameplay font, and now now I have to reproduce with a better font I found later. I just need to find the time to do it.

I did go through and reformat the whole book of tales in a nice font and layout as a .pdf though. I'd still like to add paragraph number headers in the upper-outside corners of the pages, but what I have now is really nice. If you want, I can forward them onto you to distribute to others. I planned to bind it by hand, but needed it for gamenight, so just had Kinkos do a comb binding- I liked that better than the spiral.

Too many damn projects.

If you want any of this stuff, give me an email address to send it to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tandlmayer
United States
Wilkinsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, just a little update:

I've got the tiles printed out on cardstock and glued with Super 77 to a piece of poster board, but haven't cut them yet because my experiments with the rotary paper cuter I bought have made me lose confidence in my ability to cut them straight.

I got the Book of Tales printed and bound at Kinkos, and I LOVE how the cover turned out. I'll scan a picture of it.

I'm working on the cards--I didn't feel like ordering the full sheet removable paper for the cards, since I'd never be removing the English text anyway. I've so far completed one (I just started!) but reading some of the German text has me confused as to what was changed in the translation files--for instance, the status card 119 Beloved mentions obtaining 2 DP, while the German text in the same spot has 2 SP instead. I'm not sure if the other cards have similar differences or what, but if anyone knows, I'd be grateful. I've been trusting the translations, but something like this has me worried. Was it a German misprint, or should I double-check the translations included in the file against the German on the cards?

UPDATE: I did a little sleuthing, and it turns out that Destiny Points is translated as Schicksalpunkte in German, or SP. Story Points are translated as Geschichtepunkte, or GP. That's why I was a bit confused, looking at the German SP and seeing the English DP.

I printed out the scoreboard, the reaction matricies, and the mini player reaction tables on card stock, which was no problem.

Basically, I need to finish attaching the labels to the cards and get over my fear and cut out the tiles, and I have a playable edition!

I've decided not to sweat the English labels on the board, since they aren't that big a deal and full sheet removable paper wasn't conveniently available at the office supply stores nearby. I could definitely have ordered it online, but I figured I'd make do. If it really bugs me I can always add them later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.