Subject: Starting a League rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my store has this problem. You see, this isn't so much a problem, as a "We've never run into this before".

They've had 16 copies of blood bowl. They've sold sixteen copies of blood bowl. They've pre-sold 32 MORE copies of blood bowl. Its been two weeks, I have yet to go up to the store and not see at least three concurrent games of blood bowl being played.

We've had a few people want to play a league, and so I'm tasked with figuring out how to do one and keep everyone involved sane. Are there any tricks from you seasoned veterans on how to make a league go smoothly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Paruman
South Africa
Midrand
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also new to the game. My local store is looking to start a league. I've got deathzone, everything you need is in there.

I'm subbing here for tips too though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
may want to check out thenaf.net , has a lot of info for tournaments/leagues and what not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Wunderlin
United States
Sylvania
oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The NAF is a great resource.

I've been in quite a few online leagues, and usually, the thing that really prevents the league from working is people falling out and not playing their games, whether that's due to family and outside issues or it's playing poorly and losing interest.

I would highly recommend a scheduled league without friendlies, where games have to be completed in store, with STRICT deadlines on when games have to be played. Otherwise, ducking tough opponents and loading up on friendlies and general player disorganization may be the norm. I strongly suggest being forgiving if a player is late once or misses one set date, but would stick firmly with the deadline, and have set in writing consequences of missed games and cancelled appointments and for sure player conduct rules (no bad behavior).

One way to encourage playing games is to have wins/losses/ties generate league standing points with even losses generating points so that playing and losing is still (somewhat) favorable to ducking an opponent.

You may want to implement a dues where it's a $20 buy in, and all teams that finish would get $10 store credit and a 10% off 1 item, and the rest of the pool would go in credit to the winner of the league. Maybe have a secondary prize for best painted team.

There are a few formal systems for recording results and tracking stats online, but it could even be as simple as having match record sheets in store, and posting it to a shared google doc. It will be a lot of work, and there are bound to be minor discrepancies, but it really could keep coaches involved and interest level high.

Best of luck and keep us updated please! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly I am completely new to this game, but I like the idea of rewarding coaches for being more involved in any way possible. Showing up to play a game is certainly an easy way. Writing up a game recap to share with the league would be another (the more thematic, the better).

I am looking forward to joining a league myself, from what I read (everywhere) its the best way to experience the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few games... and my store is starting up a league as well. But I am worried as I played 2 Orc players the other day, and both games I won, but I ended up with only 5 human players left in each game. How do you recover from losing 7 of your starting 12 players? I know it is luck of the rolls with the injury table but man I got my butt handed to me.

BTW I know some of you will say just stay away and run, and that is what I did. It was when I formed a wedge to get through the line where they started killing me. Both games ouch!

On a side note the last game I won 5-0 and the whole second half he was just out for blood and I was staying away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Paruman
South Africa
Midrand
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will need to use your winnings to recruit more players. Your scoring players will gain lots of points and level up, gaining new skills and stat upgrades to make them better players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah but I believe max winning is $70,000... A Lineman is $60,000. If I lose 7 players that would be $420,000.

Unless I am mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Luck√Ĺ
Czech Republic
Praha 4
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take on Journeyman for free, quote from old rulebook (LRB6):
Quote:

If your team can only field 10 or less players for the next
match, you may bring Journeymen onto your team for free
until your team can field 11 players for the next match. A
Journeyman is always a player from a 0-16 or 0-12
allowed position on your team's roster, counts his
normal rookie cost towards your total team value, but
has the Loner skill as they are unused to playing with
your team. Journeymen may take the total players on your
team (including injured players) to more than 16 at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
icechamber wrote:
I played a few games... and my store is starting up a league as well. But I am worried as I played 2 Orc players the other day, and both games I won, but I ended up with only 5 human players left in each game. How do you recover from losing 7 of your starting 12 players? I know it is luck of the rolls with the injury table but man I got my butt handed to me.

BTW I know some of you will say just stay away and run, and that is what I did. It was when I formed a wedge to get through the line where they started killing me. Both games ouch!

On a side note the last game I won 5-0 and the whole second half he was just out for blood and I was staying away.

In leagues there are different levels of injuries. Some just have you out this game 50%, 16% are out the next game also, 16% leave lasting stat changes, and 16% are dead. You can also get an Apothecary who forces a reroll on the type of injury to help protect your best players.

If you lose too many players you can hire Journymen linemen for free who are lineman with loner skill (50-50 chances of wasting a reroll). They make good line of scrimage fodder but can still advancements away from your team as you cut them after each game and hire new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
What Brad said--not all of those players were gone for good!

Were all the players in the injury box, or were some just KO'd? It's not at all uncommon for one team to be down to five players while the other team is at or near full strength, especially if you're counting knocked-out players. Most of us have been pitch-cleared at one time or another while playing low-armor teams!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
What Brad said--not all of those players were gone for good!

Were all the players in the injury box, or were some just KO'd? It's not at all uncommon for one team to be down to five players while the other team is at or near full strength, especially if you're counting knocked-out players. Most of us have been pitch-cleared at one time or another while playing low-armor teams!

I lost 4 players to injuries in first 3 turns last week on 4 chances to break armor. And it was against Pro Elves so quite shameful showing for my Slann.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were all in the 10-12 box....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But then in league play, you roll for each on another chart to see what happens. Is "miss next game" automatic on that table? Don't have it in front of me.

Play with free journeymen, make plays, give your existing dudes the SPPs, hope to get multiple players skilling up after game 2, and then you will have some saved up cash for actual hires.

Seems to me that is how the trade-offs of league play are setup. And take defensive skills, spread the field so your bashy opponent has to chase you. If you end your turn with no players adjacent to you, only one of your players can get Blitzed per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Against a bashy team, it's common to dodge away from the players standing next to you at the end of a turn if the player hasn't done anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Against a bashy team, it's common to dodge away from the players standing next to you at the end of a turn if the player hasn't done anything else.

Blood Bowl is a risk vs reward game for every single action. If you are looking at a unskilled player across with the same strength you can block him with the same failure chance as dodging away for most players but have a 50% chance of knocking him over. Do you need that player somewhere else or would just knocking him back of down get you the same goal?

Then you add in the skills and each choice becomes more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
But then in league play, you roll for each on another chart to see what happens. Is "miss next game" automatic on that table? Don't have it in front of me.

No. 50% of those are just out for the remainder of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Paruman
South Africa
Midrand
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, not every team will be a 'bashy' team. Initially yes because everyone only has the 3 teams, bar players from previous leagues.

As more teams are released it should ease up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A great tool in helping maintain a league is to setup an online presence using either OBBLM or the Aros BB League software. These programs allow players to submit their games online to a central hub. Stats can then be recorded and a bunch of other interesting items.

If you want to see a sample check out the site for our league at www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com. I am hoping it will help get your creative thoughts flowing.

Cheers,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.