Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Wings of Glory: WW2 Starter Set» Forums » General

Subject: New Starter Set (a doozie) set for February Release rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Cross-posting this from here -- https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1684263/battle-britain-...

This is the kit. This is the starter set to get if you're gonna do it, due out this winter. A great value considering all that is in the box and it's just a great moment in history to be flying in. But for me, with close to 40 planes in my box already I'm trying to decide if this is worth me spending the bucks on.

Who wants to lead this thing off? I already have two Spits, two Canes, two 109s, two 110s, and 1 111 in my box at home. The RAF had the unmitigated gaul to use universal paint jobs on all their planes, so I need to figure out if the Spits and Canes look different enough to warrant the purchase, which is rumored at $49.99 pre-pub. The new ones have different ID markings and I'm hoping they don't match what I already have.

So what's the word?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

This is a cross-post as well, to prime the pump a little more. It's worth tuning in to the other thread until this new starter set gets its own page.

Ok, so I'm seeing a Mk.I Spitfire on Cool Stuff (pre-pub) that has no markings on it. Screenshot --

Looks like a match for the versions in the BoB Starter Set --

. . . and a vanilla 109 --

. . . to match this from the Starter Set --

This adds some significant excitement to the options available as far as I'm concerned. I host on fourth Mondays, and I could see the 12 of us going at it six-on-six, with a couple of bombers on remote control to targets and back.

So what's the deal on getting these marked up to make squadrons? Is Dom's Decals still in business and the place to go for this kind of thing. Andrea, do you have a recommendation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Together with the vanilla models, in the very same pack, you will find decals to finish it with several different options of individual codes from a specific squadron. So if you buy more than one of the same type, you can field an unit. But no need to look for decals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See here for example, for the Hurricane:

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww2-wings-of-glory-line/ww2-wi...

So in the Hurricane pack you find a standard Hurricane with no codes and the decals with five different individual schemes for 303 Squadron, and all the decals for them. I'd dare to say that there will also be a few more decals for additional schemes, even if not documented in the booklet.

The schemes for Spit and Bf.109 are for the same units as the planes in the starter box (610 Squadron and Jagdgeschwader 2 “Richthofen”) but with no duplications, so that all the ones you can make with the decals in the pack are different from the ones in the starter set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks pretty cool even though I play WWI. I like the ability to choose your markings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, especially in the BoB situation.

Back in the early days of Wings of WAR (before it was Glory) I knew folks who were buying up multiple Spits and 109s and making alterations on them. And the Hurricane's had only 1 UK version out of the 3. (Others were Belgian and Russian).

So this is a GREAT thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.