GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,744 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Claustrophobia - Kara Centell-Dunk's OFFICIAL ANSWER rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Claustrophobia proved being one of the most debated cards across different boards. I asked FFG about how to rule this card, and today I received an answer from Kara Centell-Dunk.

Question:Hello, Julia here, with a rules query for Mansions 2nd edition. It regards the Claustrophobia card. The card reads: ""Whenever you end your turn within range of 2 or fewer spaces, suffer 1 facedown Horror" From which space is range counted? Some players are under the impression that you end your turn in a space, and then you count range from your space in the four directions, until you find something breaking range (wall, door, etc); some other players read this as if "range 2" meant a series of spaces where range is not broken, regardless of the position of the investigator.
Allow me to make an example (S means Space, I is the position of the investigator): S-I-S so, three consecutive spaces with the investigator in the middle. Is Claustrophobia triggered, or not? Some players say yes (it's a range 1 from where the investigator stands), some other players say no (the area is made of three spaces so it's a total range 3)
Thanks in advance for help,
Julia

Answer: Hey Julia,
Range is up to three spaces away, but is not measured by a drawn line. Rather it is a true or false state. Every space on the board is either within range of the investigator or not within range of the investigator. So an investigator with Claustrophobia could point to every space on the board and say “yes, this space is within range” or “no, this space is not within range.” If that investigator can point at 3 or more spaces and say “Yes, this space is within range” than the effects of Claustrophobia are not resolved.
In your example of S-I-S the investigator points at S(left) and it is within range, then points at space I and it is within range, then finally points to space S(right) and it is within range, so at least 3 spaces are within range of the investigator and Claustrophobia does not trigger.
Thanks for playing,

Kara Centell-Dunk
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a really good way of explaining the answer. I think I might even see where the incorrect method was coming from now, whereas I couldn't make sense of it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
That makes sense. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this.

I had a more complicated (and obviously incorrect) understanding of it.

I thought you had to be able to draw a I-S-S-S uninterrupted range to avoid the trigger.

This is easier and, more importantly, easier to work around. You basically just have to avoid small rooms ... which is clearly thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omg. I have no idea what that all means. I am not a native English speaker but that seems like a very complicated rule to me. Can someone draw a picture? When my investigator is in a room or alley there are walls everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grey Fox
Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Omg. I have no idea what that all means. I am not a native English speaker but that seems like a very complicated rule to me. Can someone draw a picture? When my investigator is in a room or alley there are walls everywhere.

I'll try to simplify it and probably fail miserably:

Count the number of spaces that are in range of your character (including the one the character is currently on). If there are 3 or more, the character is safe.

In other words, imagine that your character has a gun or ranged spell and that there is one single monster in every space of the board, including your own. Count the number of monsters you can possibly attack by using the ranged weapon. If there are 3 or more, the character is safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Very simple way of explaining it, thanks a bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McNeil
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the real problem is that the card speaks of the investigator being in range of the spaces, whereas everything else in the rules, and this very good clarification, speaks of other things -- in this case, spaces -- being in range of the investigator.

I think most of the confusion would have been avoided if the card had read "If you end your turn with two or fewer spaces within range, suffer 1 facedown Horror."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have made it a bit more in line with the card itself.

Claustrophobia:

"If you are in a room that is only one or two spaces, suffer 1 facedown horror."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJoat wrote:

Claustrophobia:

"If you are in a room that is only one or two spaces, suffer 1 facedown horror."

This is a different effect. It is possible to be within a room with fewer than three spaces but within range of 3 or more spaces.

The prime example would be being in a 1*2 Hallway room that connects to another 1*2 Hallway room via the tile edge. Whichever Hallway space you are in, you are in a room with 2 spaces, but you are within range of 4 spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
TheJoat wrote:

Claustrophobia:

This is a different effect. It is possible to be within a room with fewer than three spaces but within range of 3 or more spaces.

The prime example would be being in a 1*2 Hallway room that connects to another 1*2 Hallway room via the tile edge. Whichever Hallway space you are in, you are in a room with 2 spaces, but you are within range of 4 spaces.

True enough, but I would never feel like it was only a small room - it's a connected hallway, so not really a separate room.

Or, am I missing something basic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJoat wrote:
True enough, but I would never feel like it was only a small room - it's a connected hallway, so not really a separate room.

Or, am I missing something basic?

Yes, you are missing that Room is something that is defined in the rules:

RRG - Room wrote:
A room is a group of spaces separated from other rooms by walls,
doors, yellow borders, yellow impassable borders, or the edges of
map tiles.
• Each room has a single name that refers to the spaces in the room
as a group.

So even if Hallway 1 and Hallway 2 are connected, they are still two rooms, as they are joined by a tile edge. Similarly, there are some rooms connected by yellow lines. For example, the Attic and Attic Stairs tile (from the 2nd Edition core set) has the two-space Attic Room and the one-space Attic Stairs Room. They are connected by a yellow edge, which does not break Range, so a Claustrophobic player would be fine in either of these rooms.

If you wanted to reword the rule to not mention 'within range', you would have to do something like: "If the Room you are in and any Rooms connected to it via yellow borders or tile edges have a sum total of two spaces or fewer, suffer 1 facedown Horror." Personally, I prefer they stick with using 'within range'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.