Subject: Goods Growth/Production variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Greene
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have come up with two variants relating to Goods Growth and the production action and that may help play somewhat, especially with 3 or 4 players. This all stems from the fact that the game is not route driven, but GOODS driven, in my opinion.

Variant #1- with 3 or 4 players, "as first row boxes on the Goods Growth chart are emptied, move the goods up one box." I think that with 3 or 4 players, and only 3 and 4 dice being rolled, it is rare that the 3rd row of goods will ever be used. I feel moving goods up a row will get goods on the board a little faster.

Variant #2- to enhance the PRODUCTION action, and make it a little more enticing to select, the Goods production draw of cubes should be equal to the number of players minus one (e.g. in a 6-player game, 5 goods should be drawn and placed, in a 5-player game, 4 goods). This again fills the Goods Growth chart, entices someone to select the action, and allows for more goods to get on the map.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Goods Growth/Production variants
greenembg (#25160),

I don't understand Variant #1. If there is nothing in either the first or second rows for a particular value of the die, if that number comes up then whatever is on row three gets placed on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greenembg (#25160),

Yes, I believe you are misinterpreting the rules for Goods Growth. If you roll a '5' (say,) you always place a new good on city #5 unless all the goods on the chart for column 5 have already been placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Greene
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
greenembg (#25160),

I'm sorry for the confusion re:variant #1. What I am saying is that as the goods are placed on the map from the Goods display in the Goods Growth phase, with 3 or 4 players the Goods on the chart should be moved up so that in the next phase they would be in the 1st/2nd place locations on the chart. This is because in a 3 or 4 player game, when only 3 or 4 dice are rolled, the chances of a third dice of the same number being rolled is extremely slim, and those cubes on the third row of the Goods charts will never be moved to the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
greenembg (#25160),
Two quick thoughts:
1. Moving the cubes up only serves to reduce the impact and value of the production role. Getting two cubes at random and then being forced to place them at the end of the queue minimizes (if not eliminates) it's value. The real value of production is twofold - if the cube is good for a city you have a route from, you can front load that good's contract for that originating city - if the cube is not good for an opponent, you can put it in front of a valuable one delaying or perhaps even cutting off his chances for a favorable goods route.

2. Having played a three player game recently where we flushed out cubes from the third row multiple times I don't see this as being a real game play breaker for 3 & 4 player sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Durrett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greenembg (#25234),

I think you're still mis-interpreting the way goods growth works.

Let's say city #4 has a single good left in the third place spot (third row if you prefer) - the two spots above it are empty. The next time a 4 is rolled, the good in city #4's third place spot will be taken, since there is nothing ahead of it (that is, spaces 1 and 2 are empty).

It is not necessary that three 4's be rolled for that good to be taken. Rather, you always grab the topmost good in the column that corresponds to the city number rolled. The same goes for the lettered cities.

Therefore, there's no need to move the goods up in the columns.

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Greene
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Terminus_Est (#25246),

Thanks. I now realize that as the case. The rules as written were not very clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
greenembg:

Enhancing the production action does seem worthwhile, but adding four cubes for five players, for example, seems to be flooding the board and reducing the impact of goods currently available. You want players to compete for goods and not have everyone get the goods they want.

That said, in our sessions, we now let the player who chooses production do the following:

1. Draw three cubes, place two on the board, and return the third to the supply.

2. Roll n+1 dice where n is the number of players, then choose which n dice will actually take effect.

Both of these changes allow a player more control over which goods get produced where, but the number of goods in play remains roughly the same, thus encouraging competition for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.