Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » General

Subject: How hard to make a custom game board overlay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've all heard it before (and I've complained about it before); the artwork in this game leaves a lot to be desired. After playing the game, I'm ok with the cards, they're functional and the actual art on the cards is great.

The board, however, is still a bane to my eyes. It's a mess of blues and purples, and generally just looks lifeless. I don't really feel I'm conquering the underdark - more of just placing some pawns on a mat with a picture of a galaxy on it.

I really think they could have taken the source material and given us a nice high quality lore friendly map to play on (similar to how waterdeep's game board looks). I've always just been a fan of having well done map art done for territory control games, really adds to the sense of theme for me.

So I was thinking what I would like to see on the game board, and how to go about printing off and using my own overlay.

I was thinking of just printing out a custom map on a decent quality card stock, and using plastic clips to clip it onto the main gameboard - however I'm worried about how it will hold up if I fold it up a few times when packing it away.

My ideas for a map layout would be similar to something like this

Then I would just re implement the city markers, and all of the pathing markers on my own in photoshop to emulate the original board.

Anyone attempt this themselves?(With this game or others) any pointers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been tempted to try redesigning a few game boards in my collection and then having the folks at this site http://gamermats.com/ print them on gamer mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy H
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also an option: http://www.tshirtlaundry.com/custom-24x14-playmat.html

Turning that map into something playable would be pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.