24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for RPG Board game like HeroQuest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Burg
msg tools
Hi,

I'm mostly into card games, Catan Card Game, Apples to Apples and Loot being my favorites. I've played HeroQuest and Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel. I'm looking for one game that is similar to both of these games. One that every gamer that likes these types of games MUST have.

Here's what I like about these two games:
Modular game boards
Gridded game boards for game piece placement
Nicely rendered game pieces
Rotating GM in Mutant Chronicles
Special powers for each player
Cooperative game play
Exploration

Please help me find that one game that meets and exceeds.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Snider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest is a really good dungeon adventure game for 1-4 players (Best with 4). It's out of print, and around $120+ for a copy from eBay. I think it was $60 when it came out originally. It comes with great components (lots of plastic miniatures, dungeon tiles and more) and doesn't require a GM.

Yes Modular game boards
Yes Gridded game boards for game piece placement
Yes (but not painted) Nicely rendered game pieces
GM Optional Rotating GM in Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel
Yes - Barbarian, Elf, Dwarf and Wizard + tons of others available seperately Special powers for each player
Yes Cooperative game play
Yes Exploration

It's late or I'd write more. This is a fun game with all the things you mentioned and a good bunch of press-your-luck excitement too. "I know we're all injured, but let's check one more room. I bet it's the treasure room. There probably aren't any more minotaurs..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Warhammer Quest is the next game in that line of thinking, but its long out of print. Still, the dungeon terrain pieces are unmatched.

Currently being supported and what will probably be a popular response to this query will be Descent: Journeys in the Dark. With the expansions, there is even some deck customization that the overlord player gets to do. The game plays out as the overlord player vs. all the hero players. You can always change overlords for each dungeon too as there are no official rules for your characters to carry over with their same loot (but that is the plan for an upcoming expansion box.)

Hybrid is a more attractive game, but I've never played it and can't recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Gervais
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to see how Descent ranks based on the given criteria. I've never played it and was curious how good it is.
Can anybody help?
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadwallon is a very interesting looking game from Rackham. You can look at it here: http://www.rackham.fr/html/cadwallon.php?lg=EN# It is a roleplaying game, so Boardgamegeek does not cover it, but it has ready made boards and figures. Only in french as I understand it, but it looks as if it is being translated. Here is a review:
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12364.phtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayneburg wrote:
Hi,

I'm mostly into card games, Catan Card Game, Apples to Apples and Loot being my favorites. I've played HeroQuest and Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel. I'm looking for one game that is similar to both of these games. One that every gamer that likes these types of games MUST have.

Modular game boards
Cooperative game play
Exploration

Thanks

Go to Ebay, search for MageKnight and buy about 2947374 minis for few dollars. Then, grab some MageKnight Dungeon packs and you've got a HUGE dungeon crawling game. I cannot guarantee for rotating GM, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dungeons And Dragons Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
OP Nit-pick: Hero Quest does not have a modular game board.

On the subject of Warhammer Quest, I have this game, in pretty much mint condition. Any feel for what it might be worth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the previously mentioned Descent: Journeys in the Dark (which is one of my favorites), I recommend Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord and/or any of it's series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayneburg wrote:
Hi,

Modular game boards
Cooperative game play
Exploration

Thanks

Descent, as stated, is probably going to be your best in-print fit for what you're looking for. It doesn't have any solid rules for a campaign experience...although an expansion designed just for this is coming soon...but it's not too hard to adapt to a campaign/continuous play stle. Even if you just use the basic campaign rules included, you can take a party through severl dungeons and get some leveling up flavor.

But I notice thate character advancemet is not one of the things you list. Here's how Descent stacks up:

Modular game boards: Absolutely. Interlocking pieces of various shapes and sizes...hallways, corners, different room sizes, etc. Various obstacle pieces to add such as rubble, pits, water. Expansions add mud, lava, additional traps.

Gridded game boards for game piece placement: Gridded into about 1" squares. Movement includes along the diagonal for same cost as x/y axis. Scale of larger monster pieces slightly off, and the winged critters tend to fill squares they don't actually occupy, which some find annoying.

Nicely rendered game pieces: Yes and no. The monster pieces are a slightly larger scale than the hero pieces, and all look nice. The hero pieces do a good job of looking like the art from the character cards, but being smaller, I've seen some complain that they are difficult to tell apart. I've never had that problem, and feel that for the scale, and for the type of plastic used, the hero minis are very well done.

Rotating GM in Mutant Chronicles: No set rule for or against this. One player is the Overlord, attempting to kill the heroes. Your group can rotate this if they want.

Special powers for each player: Right on, although more accurate to say each hero has a unique ability. Some are of course better than others, and most are minor in terms of gameplay. But each hero also starts with three randomly drawn skills, from three skillsets. So each hero will have 4 starting skills...1 unique to that hero which they always get, and three drawn from the skill decks.

Cooperative game play: On the hero side, yes. In order to succeed, the heroes absolutely MUST work together. There's no built-in way for the heroes to keep score, anyway. They either succeed or fail together. The Overlord works alone, but there's nothing stopping a group from coming up with a way to have co-op overlord players.

Exploration: Somewhat. The dungeon tiles are set out in advance, as the heroes are provided with a map. But things like doors, monsters, obstacles, etc., are only placed as different areas are revealed. So there's a minor element of exploration, which you could play up by not placing the entire dungeon, or designing larger dungeons that do not have an apparant or intuitive layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Doom + expansion, it's better than descent (check the reviews). Also, check out Runebound + expansions, Return of the Heroes + Shadow of the dragon, Prophecy and Talisman 4th edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

...is not very good. It's a very simplistic boardgame with HeroQuest-like aspects, and after playing it, I can understand why the North American Hasbro branch declined to import it.

Don't believe the hype about this one. I did and I feel that I now own a pretty weak product. I do like the combat/magic system (using different colored dice) but if you're going to release a game bearing the name "Dungeons & Dragons", at the very least, you should utilize a friggin' d20 in the game and not a fistful of polychromatic d6s!

However, regarding your posted criteria... With the exception of a "Rotating GM", Descent most definitely fits the bill! I own and adore this beast of a game and I think you would really enjoy it, as well. However, it is quite expensive, so if you can find some locals who own a copy, I would recommend you try before you buy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
rarbelaez wrote:
Check out Doom + expansion, it's better than descent (check the reviews). Also, check out Runebound + expansions, Return of the Heroes + Shadow of the dragon, Prophecy and Talisman 4th edition.

I don't know that Doom + expansion is BETTER than Descent but it definitely fits the bill better as far as your criteria goes. However you MUST buy the expansion too as it fixes some of the problems that the main Doom game has. Runebound is a great suggestion too though there's no GM or modular boards thought the expansion add additional boards. Return of the Heroes, SotD, and Talisman are good selections also. I've never played Prophecy yet but I've heard good things.

Go with Doom + expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Return of the Heroes a lot, but I don't think it fits what the OP is looking for much.

Modular game boards: Kinda. Square boards representing static areas, ala Magic Realm (there are many similarities between RotH and MR). Defalut construction is a 4x4 square, but of course could accomodate alternative layouts.

Gridded game boards for game piece placement: Not really. Each area has movement points, and there's no separate area for the quest/encounter chits.

Nicely rendered game pieces: Yes and no. No plastic..cardboard standies. Nice art, but not the same as a mini. Encounter shits are just that...chits, with art somewhat abstract art, not in the same style as the hero tokens. Wooden cubes for experience and coin.

Rotating GM in Mutant Chronicles: No GM. Overlord/boss challenge randomly selected for each game.

Special powers for each player: Sorta. Some heroes do have a unique ability, but none very powerful.

Cooperative game play: No. It's an adventure boardgame where each player is attempting to be the first to defeat the Nameless.

Exploration: Somewhat. The encounter chits are face down, but that's about it. You can play with the area tiles face down, as well.

RotH and Runebound are both good fantasy adventure boardgames, each with some leveling-up element some consider essential for that RPG feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about this series, it's very much like HeroQuest.
Dark World
Dark World: Village of Fear
Dark World: Dragon's Gate

Also, have you tried Heroscape? I'd say that there's NOTHING better out there to try that that! I'm an IDIOT for forgetting to mention it right up front! An there's a few dozen expansions for it too...
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Warcholak wrote:
Please, game designers and developers, make more fantasy dungeon-crawl boardgames. This question gets asked every other day around here.

Do you not want money?

I made one. Got nominated for an Origins award. Sold a few thousand. Company went under.

It just isn't as simple as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
Go to Ebay, search for MageKnight and buy about 2947374 minis for few dollars. Then, grab some MageKnight Dungeon packs and you've got a HUGE dungeon crawling game. I cannot guarantee for rotating GM, though.

Mage Knight: Dungeons does not have a GM. It's a decent dungeon crawl game, and pretty fun, but it's really not an RPG at all. Basically, the objective is for each player to get in, grab as much treasure as possible, and leave, trying to kill off the other players in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at this one right now actually. It looks kinda cool, plus you can get it really cheap which is always a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest and Mutant Chronicles are two of the best out there. Warhammer Quest supposedly is better than both; good luck finding it. Try Descent before you buy.
I'd keep an eye out for Tannhauser. It features the kind of gameplay you're talking about with a cool new mechanic.
http://boardgamegeek.com/game/25261
If you like tactical battles you can make your own version of Space Hulk fairly easily; it has the same kind of feel, or you might try to find a copy of Aliens. I saw some of the minis on ebay a while back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogma wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

...is not very good. It's a very simplistic boardgame with HeroQuest-like aspects, and after playing it, I can understand why the North American Hasbro branch declined to import it.

Don't believe the hype about this one. I did and I feel that I now own a pretty weak product. I do like the combat/magic system (using different colored dice) but if you're going to release a game bearing the name "Dungeons & Dragons", at the very least, you should utilize a friggin' d20 in the game and not a fistful of polychromatic d6s!

And because this is a huge website there's going to be differences in opinion. Like Geosphere, I would also recommend the D&D Boardgame though it is much more simple to play than Descent.

Frankly, I like the simplicity and the ability to get through three games of the D&D game over the sometimes mind-numbing play of the FFG dungeon crawl which generally takes many hours to complete. I own both, so I guess I'm allowed to pick and choose as I will, and often suggest the simpler game to play.

Also, as of now, Descent does not over any sort of carry-over from game to game. The D&D game does allow campaign play, though FFG is going to be offering an expansion which will allow you to do the same in Descent. Sometime. In the future. Or so we've been told.

Also, some of us remember when the d20 wasn't the most used die in the group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D was for me much more 'getable' quicker than Descent.

I found Descent overly fussy, yet still linear. And it is more of a tactics fight than a dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Burg
msg tools
Thanks for all the great recommendations. I think I'll try to find people in the area that have the games you've all suggested and try to get in on a game or two before buying. That's probably the best advice you've all given after considering the cost of some of these games. I own Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord and I'm going to find the downloadable version of Dungeon Bash. I wouldn't put Dungeoneer in the list of games on this thread simply because it doesn't have that 3D element I'm looking for. I know you can use your own miniatures, but it's not only that. The map cards don't sit flush to each other. I guess it's just an aesthetic thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.