Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Easily Overlooked Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had one test game with the wife and this Saturday I'm cranking out both starters City of Ancients and Swamps of Death for the gang.

As a final step in preparation, what are some of the common easily overlooked rules that you find during play?

Much appreciation for your help!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see...Fear/Terror "attacks" stack. A Hero can wait until all Hits against him are declared before rolling Defence, meaning a single Grit suffices to reroll all failures, however many enemies may have delivered those Hits. Similarly, a Hero rolls his attacks (melee and/or ranged), Grits that if he wants, and only then assigns the Hits to targets, one by one.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe more
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Don't forget to catch your breath after combat. We forgot that a few times in our original games.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slashman wrote:
Don't forget to catch your breath after combat. We forgot that a few times in our original games.


Absolutely this, we were too excited for the loot time whistle
You can easily forget the sanity hit if you start your turn away from the lantern and that you can remove one Growing Dread card whenever all the players spend 1 grit. Oh, and to roll for the movement even when you don't want to move, also you can't try any search action if there are monsters and/or unrevealed Exploration tokens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the ones that people commonly seem to miss is that you have to roll for Hold back the Darkness at the beginning of EVERY turn, including during Fights and during the final boss fight.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cdr Jameson
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The hardest rule for me to get right, and I have no rule book in front of me so might get this a little squiffy,...

Whenever monsters get placed onto the map, whether in a fight or not, it immediately ends the turn and you start a new turn with a new hold back the darkness roll. Heroes or monsters that haven't activated yet lose their turn.

Another rule that merits inclusion, similar to the Catch your breath rule above is that if a hero didn't activate on the turn that the fight finished they can recover a grit...? and 1d6 Healt/Sanity? not sure if I've got that right but it's close enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cdr Jameson wrote:
The hardest rule for me to get right, and I have no rule book in front of me so might get this a little squiffy,...

Whenever monsters get placed onto the map, whether in a fight or not, it immediately ends the turn and you start a new turn with a new hold back the darkness roll. Heroes or monsters that haven't activated yet lose their turn.

Another rule that merits inclusion, similar to the Catch your breath rule above is that if a hero didn't activate on the turn that the fight finished they can recover a grit...? and 1d6 Healt/Sanity? not sure if I've got that right but it's close enough.


If a hero doesn't activate it's heal 1d6 or regain 1 grit.

The one rule(ability really) that I always forget, is that with a Drifter in the party who has Sage Advice, when the posse is on the move, they can all roll again for movement. It's easy to remember in combat, but that is it. I guess skill checks on encounters fall outside the purview of turn activation sequence so, I don't think his sage advice can help with skill checks, which is rather odd.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for me, the most overlooked rules were:

When you roll doubles for holding back the darkness, you do NOT advance the marker on the depth track, rather you consult the chart for which world you are in and follow the instructions on the chart.

When you heal any OTHER player, no matter the method used, gain 5 XP for each Wound healed.

You can only ever re-roll a dice one time no matter the method used to re-roll it.

Heroes gain +5XP for each Elite ability a monster has (probably wont come up a lot until you are a higher level).

Another one that I see people do a lot is you roll to Hit first before assigning those hits to enemies. You dont have to declare which enemy you are going to attack until after you roll. Once you know how many hits you have, you can than assign them one at a time to the enemies on the board.

You must attack an adjacent enemy first, even with a ranged attack.

Hope that helps!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cdr Jameson wrote:
The hardest rule for me to get right, and I have no rule book in front of me so might get this a little squiffy,...

Whenever monsters get placed onto the map, whether in a fight or not, it immediately ends the turn and you start a new turn with a new hold back the darkness roll. Heroes or monsters that haven't activated yet lose their turn.


I don't believe that is true in the case of enemies added as a result of the Hold Back the Darkness roll.

Something I have to keep reminding my group is that you must declare what items you have equipped at the start of every round.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. The Voices in the Dark is ignored if you're on the same or adjacent Map TILE, not square. (Not really easy to miss once you see it, but something we played wrong for quite a while...)

2. XP against large enemies with a Base + XP value is per Wounding Hit plus wounds done. We had been playing it as just Wounds and then the kill shot got the base XP too.

3. The depth track doesn't move when doubles are rolled on Hold Back the Darkness. (Playing this wrong hurt a bit with Void Lantern...)

4. Heroes can cancel a Growing Dread card if all non-KO'd ones spend 1 Grit.

5. You cannot search/Scavenge during a fight. I have to check that it doesn't override this, but I think we've messed this up in the dynamite cache room.

I think that's been the big ones for us...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Dverning wrote:

2. XP against large enemies with a Base + XP value is per Wounding Hit plus wounds done. We had been playing it as just Wounds and then the kill shot got the base XP too.


Either you're one of the Heroic Gaming crew or this is a common/organic mistake, as I've seen the same thing at my own FLGS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:

If a hero doesn't activate it's heal 1d6 or regain 1 grit.



Where is this rule, I haven't been able to find it in the books.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Catch Your Breath, page 27 bottom left.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Cdr Jameson wrote:
The hardest rule for me to get right, and I have no rule book in front of me so might get this a little squiffy,...

Whenever monsters get placed onto the map, whether in a fight or not, it immediately ends the turn and you start a new turn with a new hold back the darkness roll. Heroes or monsters that haven't activated yet lose their turn.


I don't believe that is true in the case of enemies added as a result of the Hold Back the Darkness roll.
(...)

Afaik Enemy placement only interrupts the turn sequence (ends the turn) when the placement occurs in step 2 of the turn: Models activate in Initiative order. In other steps Enemy placement either doesn't interrupt (because there's no Model activation), or it doesn't occur at all.

Quite some of the easily overlooked rules can be done right when using (*cough* *cough* ... plug!) a Flowchart of gameplay...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dverning wrote:


2. XP against large enemies with a Base + XP value is per Wounding Hit plus wounds done. We had been playing it as just Wounds and then the kill shot got the base XP too.


Wow... I think we've been getting this wrong. Can you give a hypothetical example, mathed out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
Dverning wrote:


2. XP against large enemies with a Base + XP value is per Wounding Hit plus wounds done. We had been playing it as just Wounds and then the kill shot got the base XP too.


Wow... I think we've been getting this wrong. Can you give a hypothetical example, mathed out?


If an enemy has 15 + 5 XP for example, you shoot your shotgun at him and hit him twice. The first hit does 2 wounds and the second hit does 5 wounds. You would get a total of 65 XP.

15 XP for each hit (2*15=30)
5 XP for each wound, in this example 7 wounds were dealt (5*7=35)

30+35 = 65

Hope that helps. The idea behind it is so that person A doesnt do 90% of the work than person B comes along and does the final blow to him and collect all the XP on the stronger enemies. Doing it this way helps distribute the XP to all that helped defeat it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
Dverning wrote:


2. XP against large enemies with a Base + XP value is per Wounding Hit plus wounds done. We had been playing it as just Wounds and then the kill shot got the base XP too.


Wow... I think we've been getting this wrong. Can you give a hypothetical example, mathed out?


If an enemy has 15 + 5 XP for example, you shoot your shotgun at him and hit him twice. The first hit does 2 wounds and the second hit does 5 wounds. You would get a total of 65 XP.

15 XP for each hit (2*15=30)
5 XP for each wound, in this example 7 wounds were dealt (5*7=35)

30+35 = 65

Hope that helps. The idea behind it is so that person A doesnt do 90% of the work than person B comes along and does the final blow to him and collect all the XP on the stronger enemies. Doing it this way helps distribute the XP to all that helped defeat it.


Also (I am fairly certain) that the XP bonus for elite abilities applies to the base. So in the above example, if the enemy had one elite ability you would have

20 XP for each hit (2*20= 40)

Small thing, but I think that is right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
jurney85 wrote:
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
Dverning wrote:


2. XP against large enemies with a Base + XP value is per Wounding Hit plus wounds done. We had been playing it as just Wounds and then the kill shot got the base XP too.


Wow... I think we've been getting this wrong. Can you give a hypothetical example, mathed out?


If an enemy has 15 + 5 XP for example, you shoot your shotgun at him and hit him twice. The first hit does 2 wounds and the second hit does 5 wounds. You would get a total of 65 XP.

15 XP for each hit (2*15=30)
5 XP for each wound, in this example 7 wounds were dealt (5*7=35)

30+35 = 65

Hope that helps. The idea behind it is so that person A doesnt do 90% of the work than person B comes along and does the final blow to him and collect all the XP on the stronger enemies. Doing it this way helps distribute the XP to all that helped defeat it.


Also (I am fairly certain) that the XP bonus for elite abilities applies to the base. So in the above example, if the enemy had one elite ability you would have

20 XP for each hit (2*20= 40)

Small thing, but I think that is right.


Thats how I understand it as well, so two elite abilities would be 25 xp for each hit. Thanks for the small reminder!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nope, I'm not one of the Heroic Gaming crew, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who made that mistake.

Also, the above examples are perfect and accurate. Makes a low damage character that throws lots of dice able to keep up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've made that mistake on experience too and it would make such a difference as you could level up so much quicker! Haven't played it again since the mistake was pointed out on here in another thread but looking forward to trying it out. Can't remember exactly how the rules are written but must be a little awkwardly described given how common this mistake is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Sips
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
AceAceBaby wrote:

Something I have to keep reminding my group is that you must declare what items you have equipped at the start of every round.


I saw a picture of someone with a game in progress. It looked like they had some custom hand markers that they placed on the cards to signify what was equipped. Clever idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.