Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not planning on painting the pieces, and while the transfer sheet seems easy enough, I would prefer not to do that right now, until I'm sure they aren't going to ever be painted. (and I'm not 100% sure I would do it 'well').

Does anyone have any idea on ways to "temporarily" identify the various players, so that I don't have to use the transfer sheet right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hoffman
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not saying it would be a great idea, but permanent marker would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
majora999 wrote:
Not saying it would be a great idea, but permanent marker would work.

Yah, I had that thought as well, with the same trepidation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tirelli
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just write on the lip of the bases...

It is also easy to paint over later if you wish to "erase" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use permanent marker underneath the base. I don't know how helpful that would be but it wouldn't ruin the models or use up your transfers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a white grease pencil (a.k.a. a "china marker"):

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17462W/Markers/Sharpi...

Probably write on the base only - you should be able to scrawl a number on the edge of the base. It will be hard to make the numbers look good, but you will be able to write them on the miniature, see them from a distance, etc. You can buy other colors if you wanted to otherwise designate the miniature.

I recommend against writing directly on the miniature figure . . . when you get the grease pencil, you'll see why. If you get the china marker grease into the miniature's details, it will likely be hard to get out, though hot water and a wash cloth would probably work except for deep crevices.

To remove the markings, just use a wet paper towel or wash cloth.

Read more about them, here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_pencil

We use them at my job for temporarily marking up metal and plastic non-porous surfaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used these (similar packs are available in every dollar store everywhere) in various games to identify units. Write the number on the sticker in pen, and apply to the models base. Great temporary solution, you can colour code unit types, and they are easy to remove if/when you want to paint.

I have used them in Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game to identify special units like this Sergeant:

and Gears of War to be able to tell which hero mini is which:

Easy and cheap, the best kind of solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
. . . and Reverend Uncle's solution seems better than mine.

Even better, because you can also use different colored dots for the player position -- red for blitzer, green for thrower, yellow for catcher, etc. with a number written on it. Discard after use.

Great idea, Reverend Uncle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also paint the side of the bases. That is the normal way to do it in the BB community, short of numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are numbering the minis, White out or white paint on the base with pencil on top.

If you mean to identify the player position, they are easy to remember and spot once you start playing. The cards have pictures of each on them too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Write the number of the base in pencil. Most of the time you do not need the numbers but it will allow you to identify the models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas all.

I think I might try the colored dots first. That seems to be a pretty good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend the stickers or if you have any paint you could just put a small dot of paint on them.

side note unless you just don't have the patience for it at all you should check out the painting tutorials, you'd be surprised how good minis look w/ 3 base colors and a dip

also unless you're proxying the minis are pretty "easily" identifiable after a little time and may be able to forego any form of distinguishing identifiier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:

Even better, because you can also use different colored dots for the player position -- red for blitzer, green for thrower, yellow for catcher, etc. with a number written on it. Discard after use.

Color Scheme is:
Red = Blitzer
Green = Blocker(Black Orc)
White= Thrower/Runner
Yellow= Catcher
Unmarked/Grey= Lineman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually incorporated that in my painting schemes, painting gloves, towels and what not those colors to help distinguish

eriochrome wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

Color Scheme is:
Red = Blitzer
Green = Blocker(Black Orc)
White= Thrower/Runner
Yellow= Catcher
Unmarked/Grey= Lineman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you are doing any sort of league play, you need to assign SPPs to individual players based on performance.

I want stickers, but white, not colored. Haven't found those yet, but haven't looked either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just write a small number on a piece of paper, cut the number out, and tape it to the base. Quick, easy, legible, and easily changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found some nice, small, rectangular Avery labels that are exactly what I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woods
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
All I make is junk.
badge
The Great Mysterio!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/fls-id-teal.html

They come in several colors. You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Or those loom elastic bands, not sure how well they'd work on the larger bases but they work on 25mm bases okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Or those loom elastic bands, not sure how well they'd work on the larger bases but they work on 25mm bases okay.

Do you have a link to those? I would be interested in them for other minis gaming (i.e. Frostgrave).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get them anywhere, but these are the brand I stole off my kids:
http://www.michaels.com/rainbow-loom-camo-refill-bands-lime/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.