Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: Now that the Game's Out, how's Solo Mode? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've gotten my copy of the game, and gotten to play through a few times. Most of the game feels solid, and I had a great time playing with friends.

That being said, one of the odder experiences is trying to play a 'true solo' game, as described on the back of the manual. Is it just me, or there too much of a difference in difficulty? While the 3 Player/2 Nemesis turn ratio is a little tough, my main concern is HP. With only 10 HP, it's very easy for the nemesis to chunk through most of your HP in one or two turns, and there simply isn't enough burst healing to try to counter it.

I've been toying around with potential solutions. The two main ones I've thought of are either to simply double your HP from 10 to 20, or to make it so that when you're exhausted, the game continues rather than instantly ending. The former's obviously easier, while the latter might still be a bit too strict.

Does anybody else have thoughts on this?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
use the beginner rules on the back of the rulebook.
player- 12 life
gravehold- 35 life
nemesis- -10 life

other than that, rethink some of your strategies, try others out. try different mages, etc.

once you've mastered that, then go back to the normal starting values.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruduen wrote:
I've gotten my copy of the game, and gotten to play through a few times. Most of the game feels solid, and I had a great time playing with friends.

That being said, one of the odder experiences is trying to play a 'true solo' game, as described on the back of the manual. Is it just me, or there too much of a difference in difficulty? While the 3 Player/2 Nemesis turn ratio is a little tough, my main concern is HP. With only 10 HP, it's very easy for the nemesis to chunk through most of your HP in one or two turns, and there simply isn't enough burst healing to try to counter it.

I've been toying around with potential solutions. The two main ones I've thought of are either to simply double your HP from 10 to 20, or to make it so that when you're exhausted, the game continues rather than instantly ending. The former's obviously easier, while the latter might still be a bit too strict.

Does anybody else have thoughts on this?


Solo was especially tricky to make work. If you're having trouble, I would try just giving yourself an extra ~2-5 HP and see how that feels. You might have to hedge the market a little more in your favor since solo is the most 'extreme' game mode. Player life is just much more important solo than it is compared to the other player counts, especially against certain nemeses.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My very first game was solo mode. I played as Jian against Rageborne, and I very deliberately stacked the supply for a strategy I was mulling over in the weeks before receiving the game.
I lost.
It was a very close game, though. I may write up a session report at some point. But at one point toward the end of the game, I had one Life left, Rageborne had 21 Life left, and I had 20 points of damage prepped, and the opportunity to throw it all at him. But there was a Cauterizer on the field with 3 Life, and I knew that the next Turn Order card was Nemesis. So I could throw it all at Rageborne, bring him down to 1 Life with me, and then succumb to the Cauterizer, or I could throw all but 8 damage at the Cauterizer and hope to live through my next turn or two.
I lost the gambit. But man was it fun. And yes, your own damage is the crux of the problem. I knew it was going to be when I took 2 damage as the very first event of the game, before I even had a turn.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Holderman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on the best Mage for true solo? I tried Adelheim last night and got spanked. Though I did not give 12 life, 35 grave hold, and 10 to Nemesis. I went full on 70 Nemesis, 30 Gravehold, and 10 life. Got whooped...

Any favorite for a Mage in solo?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JHolderman06 wrote:
Any thoughts on the best Mage for true solo? I tried Adelheim last night and got spanked. Though I did not give 12 life, 35 grave hold, and 10 to Nemesis. I went full on 70 Nemesis, 30 Gravehold, and 10 life. Got whooped...

Any favorite for a Mage in solo?


Brama or Kadir seem like the natural choices because of their healing. With a market of decent player healing, you might not need it as much on your mage.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game solo two mages against Rageborne and won. It was overall enjoyable and I don't normally enjoy playing two handed. The lack of shuffling made it a bit easier to do.

Played my second game solo, one mage against the Carapace Queen and lost. I didn't enjoy this match nearly as much. Maybe it was just a bad Nemesis to face solo, but I felt significantly overwhelmed by all of the Husks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts! I'll give playing with a bit more HP a try, and see how much that shifts the game. The HP-recovery mages/spells have a leg up when HP is limited, but I'll keep my eyes open and see if there are any other strategies or boards that make things manageable.

(While it's quite possible to stack the board to have something appropriate, it's not quite the same experience. I wanted to see just how close to the baseline I could get.)

Here's to a lot more gaming - win or lose, it's been a fun experience so far!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Can you just play multiple hands?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
Can you just play multiple hands?


Absolutely. I play 2-handed sometimes as well as true solo.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
Can you just play multiple hands?


Up to 2 mages per player works fine, but the physical requirements are a bit much if any single player is handling more than that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
instead of playing 2 mages, could you just add +10 health to your solo mage to simulate the added health of another mage? (so, start off with 20 instead of 10).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hmm hadn't heard about this game. Been watching some game-play and it look interesting enough for me to add a second deck-builder to my list. (Really like Marvel Legendary) That said I only play solo on marvel and the combination of different heroes based on whatever Marvel Legendary randomizer app out there, I play 1 handed based on the solo version in dark city expansions.


I can see me playing 2 handed only because of how many cards give benefit to the other mage.

Man there are too many games on my whish-list. I'm no sure how people go about with all these games coming out of late. I have Terraforming Mars on wish-list. Arachony, Vast all kind of other things out of print being reprinted.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:

I can see me playing 2 handed only because of how many cards give benefit to the other mage.


In Aeon's end in solo mode you are your own ally.

SgtTenor wrote:

... Vast ...


Heh -- Aeon's End and Vast are now my two favorite games. Oh, and Vast is currently running a second edition Kickstarter campaign (with minis!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.