Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the actual XCOM board game from FFG, and although it's okay, it doesn't really capture the real feeling of XCOM for me.

To what degree is L7: Invasion a good choice for a "real" XCOM board game? What aspects from the video game are missing from it? Does it have:

- Troop combat?
- Air combat?
- Researching techs?
- Developing bases?
- Promoting troops?
- Any story?

Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I have the actual XCOM board game from FFG, and although it's okay, it doesn't really capture the real feeling of XCOM for me.

To what degree is L7: Invasion a good choice for a "real" XCOM board game? What aspects from the video game are missing from it? Does it have:

- Troop combat? Check
- Air combat? Nope
- Researching techs? Check
- Developing bases? Managing your alliances economy
- Promoting troops? Nope
- Any story? Former evil is now your only hope for survival. He needs to travel to different continents to do his research, you need to keep him alive. Once he's done his job in one of the continents, the player controlling that continent is at risk of being left on his/her own and falling prey to the invading aliens.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know XCOM but hope this still helps in some way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7: Invasion

Let me say first that to all intents and purposes, the L7I forums are either dead or misfunctioning sleeper cells. I have the game and posted a number of questions, not one of which was replied to. That's a shame that it doesn't seem to receive any support anymore from the developers or the gamers on here.

What of the gamne itself? It's not bad at all; you do have to manage your rtesources and be prepared to adapt your strategy depending on where the aliens show up. Given that mankind is fighting a technologically superior enemy, the Drop Ship card mechanisms portray the uncertainty of such a conflict quite well.

I have only ever played "Hard Mode" and it can be a challenge at times just to survive. The interplay between what is available to you as resources with which to wage the war against the aliens can vary depending on the draw of certain card decks - whether folks like this or not is a matter of taste, but it keeps me on my toes!

In terms of your bullet point questions:

- Troop combat?
Yes, there is a fairly basic level of troop combat that is heavily skewed in favour of the side that is the attacker. Sometimes, though, a surprise does occur, even when you have a seemingly lop-sided battle.

- Air combat?
No.

- Researching techs?
There are 4 tech choices, each with five levels. It costs money and resources to develop tech, so what you can develop depends on how you balance the requiremnents and effects of the other aspects of the game.

- Developing bases?
No.

- Promoting troops?
No. The only "promotions" are increasing the number of troops you can field for each coalition and their combat effectiveness.

- Any story?
Each game I have played has seen a desperate story unfold, where the collapse of the coalition was an ever-present possibility in an engaging game which I do enjoy playing.

Despite the resounding silence of the BGG L7I forum, I am glad I purchased it and it will get regular table time.

PS I play it solo, controlling all five coalitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hall
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how long does it take you to play a solo game now that you (assuming here) have done it a few times?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megakles wrote:
how long does it take you to play a solo game now that you (assuming here) have done it a few times?

Some games take longer than others, but 2 and a half hours is a fair measure (though often I leave it setup in the game room and do it round by round over several days).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.