Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53406598/darklight-meme...

I'm a little sad that the game is being pushed back, but I'm very happy that the creators are still committed to seeing it through and producing a quality product. The minis are looking great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duggie Dowling
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I'm terribly sorry... but I probably wasn't listening.
badge
I vote for Shenanigans and Monkey Business.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree... it really sucks that the delay will be so significant, but I have high hopes that the extra time is being used to create a truly great product. The pictures and recent updates really suggest that many improvements are being made.
So all in all I'm pretty happy to wait for a quality product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nothing new under the sun.
It's the same old speech we are accustomed to having for KS projects: "we don't want to rush things".
Well, then, take this perfectionism of yours into consideration when you make your initial estimations.
Being a small company is not the kind of news you discovered yesterday, is it?

If a product needs more time to get better, I'm ok with it.
But it's never a matter of "if" but always a matter of "when" a project will be announced as delayed.
It's getting old.

Sorry for the tone but I'm fed up with those preformated speeches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
It's the same old speech we are accustomed to having for KS projects: "we don't want to rush things".
Well, then, take this perfectionism of yours into consideration when you make your initial estimations.

But it's never a matter of "if" but always a matter of "when" a project will be announced as delayed.
It's getting old.

Well, some of these delays are just impossible to predict and have nothing to do with the efforts of the creator.

For example, the creator of Gloomhaven had his game delayed for an extra month simply because the company he was working with couldn't be bothered to create a proper plastic insert tray in the style he had asked for. When he repeatedly tried to consult with them on its progress, they just told him "don't worry about it / it's fine." An extra month, just because of a plastic tray. Who would've thought?

I can just imagine how incredibly frustrating this stuff must be for anyone who wants to make a game which is even slightly ambitious.

And then if the creator tries to build extra time in to take this sort of thing into consideration, people will be reluctant to pledge because the date looks just so far into the future. Even Kingdom Death's [highly successful] campaign is taking flak because of its estimated 2020 release date for all content.

It's really a no-win situation for many creators. I'm just happy there are people out there willing to try and produce such awesome games, because frankly the entire process sounds like a massive pain in the ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:

It's getting old.

Estimated delivery date is for the base game. Stretch goals added new content. New content means more time spent in development, as well as manufacturing. If you are in a rush to get things then wait until retail when you can get it right away.

They can spend X amount of time developing the game but even then, the manufacturer controls the Y of manufacturing time. They could choose a lesser known manufacturer with lesser quality components and gotten you the game faster, but as a result have to deal with your complaints of poor component quality instead of you complaining about the time spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:

It's getting old.

Do you want a repeat of the Dungeon Saga fiasco? I'd much rather wait till August and get a complete, tested, and fun game with decent components than have them rush it for Q1 and it be a broken mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
perfectly fine.. i think right now for me will all my KS commitments i be traumatized if they all arrived the same time... Aside from that dont want rushed crap like i've seen done many times.

When you commit to KS its not the date but the product ..if you didnt like what you saw you wouldnt buy it and if you based it sole on the date.. then sowwy you have no idea what KS is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade wrote:
perfectly fine.. i think right now for me will all my KS commitments i be traumatized if they all arrived the same time... ...

Yeah, I know this sounds like a true first world problem, but I think I may have ordered too many games for the first half of this year. So I didn't really mind seeing Darklight moved to the second half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zethnar wrote:
baylock wrote:

It's getting old.

Do you want a repeat of the Dungeon Saga fiasco? I'd much rather wait till August and get a complete, tested, and fun game with decent components than have them rush it for Q1 and it be a broken mess.

Ha! Pretty sure I would wait an indefinite amount time not to get a Dungeon Saga quality product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Glic2003 wrote:
drakkonblade wrote:
perfectly fine.. i think right now for me will all my KS commitments i be traumatized if they all arrived the same time... ...

Yeah, I know this sounds like a true first world problem, but I think I may have ordered too many games for the first half of this year. So I didn't really mind seeing Darklight moved to the second half.

Much agree...its like i am counting 7 KS and its enough that two of them are arriving the next week.. so seriously take your time but be damn sure done right!

Its one thing to take take time for being disorganized but i am all good if its to make a better quality product. I've seen many tank or messup simple things as writing a rulebook or not even bothering to test the product before release..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Just in case some of you might have missed it, Frank has given us all some input in the comment section of the most recent update regarding this.

"Hi everybody,
I see it has happened (sorry fort he delay in commenting, I was on a business trip). Yes, the delay in production is unavoidable. The reason is that Dark Ice makes excellent 3D renders, but those have to be modified a bit for production. And soon Chinese New Year will let the country pretty much closes down for a month, everybody get out of here, last guy switches off the light, see you later. End of January to about end of February is the main holiday season there and we know that we won’t be able to have the moulds until then. But since moulding thakes 4 to 9 weeks, production takes 4 to 8 weeks, and shipping takes 6 weeks, we are facing a bigger delay than we would usually.
Also, I must admit that I had a bit of a hand in the delay, too. Dark Ice and I were working on components and materials and I think we had some really nice and important changes to the original designs, but I really, really had to persuade the guys to listen to me. They are so dedicated and repeatedly said „we don’t care, we promised that“ or „this is what we announced, we need to stick to it“ to many of my suggestions. But: This is one of the most expensive games of its price category I have had the pleasure to be involved in – not for you, for Dark Ice games. Have you seen the last but one update with the change in size oft he „Journey cards“? That is one example. And I think in the process they did a really great job, I think the cards are much better now! Weh ad a couple of changes like that, but that all takes time. So while it is very honorable of Dark Ice Games to take all the blame for the delay, I want to pitch in – it was me, too. But as they said, it is their first board game and I feel obliged to make sure it will be a great game for backers and not completely ruinous for Dark Ice Games. Because: If this is their first game, who knows what they will be coming up with next? I want that, too!
Hey, I have had the chance to play the game, and I liked it a lot. So I want this to be great for myself, too, and at the same time… see above.
So my apologies for the delay. Dark Ice is putting a lot of hours into the game and I promise you I will help them to the best of my abilities. Thank you all for understanding that such a project is more complex than the average game you can buy in stores and giving Dark Ice the time to do it right. This is not a given if you look around KS these days (which I do a lot, as I am working on ten different campaign parallely in various stages of „about to be released“ to „campaign starting in spring 2017“), so: thank you.
Frank Jaeger
LUDO FACT"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sort of with baylock here in that regardless of the size of the company they must have seen numerous KS projects running now so could have factored in a longer release date to overcome any disruptions.

However (and it's the big however) there's always unexpected things that can happen and it is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't as has been pointed out. I'm not surprised and always factor in six months on to any KS delivery date anyway. I just hope that it's worth the wait and it's a good game that lives up to it's promise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
I'm sort of with baylock here in that regardless of the size of the company they must have seen numerous KS projects running now so could have factored in a longer release date to overcome any disruptions.

I see your point. I also believe most backers must have seen an enormous amount of KS projects running late, so they should know by now it's a good idea to add six months to a year to any given project. I certainly do, and that's why Im not really surprised or bothered by the news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

I see your point. I also believe most backers must have seen an enormous amount of KS projects running late, so they should know by now it's a good idea to add six months to a year to any given project. I certainly do, and that's why Im not really surprised or bothered by the news.

Well me too, that's why I included the second paragraph you didn't quote!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.