Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Wargames» Forums » Historical Context

Subject: World War II -- Did pilots doctor the paint jobs on their fighters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hey guys, I've come to the experts.

Here's the background: Wings of Glory is putting out a new Starter Kit, based on the Battle of Britain, and they're changing the way they're doing it. (If you want to see the pretty new box and airplanes, click here -- https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1684263/battle-britain-....)

The change is in the way they're packaging the planes. In the past they have sold paint jobs of specific pilots' airplanes, generally three of each model. So there were three Spitfire Mk.Is, and three BF-109Es, and the like. Very historic, but a bit limiting for big battles.

This time they're selling the big box with historic planes, then selling additional vanilla airplanes (i.e., no specific plane marking) that come with a sheet of decals. You can see the mock-ups in the thread above. So you can actually buy six Spits, six Canes, six 109s and six 110s and have a great big battle with each plane having different call letters on it with just a pair of scissors and some warm water. Seriously cool. Each player can have their own call letters on their planes.

Here's the question -- how much did WWII fighter pilots, mechanics, squadrons, etc., get to doctor the appearance of their airplanes? You see the nose art on bombers but the fighters had a standard paint job for both the Brits and the Germans, and I'm trying to get an understanding of how much additional change the airmen had leeway to make.

You could spice up the appearance by making wingtips red, or writing "Ruthie" on the cowling or something like that, but I don't want to go too far off the reservation from what was common or even allowed by high command in the era.

Can anybody speak to this? Just how unique were British and German aircraft in that era?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe units often had specific adornments in addition to the standard paint job, such as the yellow noses of JG 26. That may have been a post- Battle of Britain thing, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Westie wrote:
Luftwaffe units often had specific adornments in addition to the standard paint job, such as the yellow noses of JG 26. That may have been a post- Battle of Britain thing, though.

I believe it was mid-battle. I read somewhere that the British saw it and concluded invasion was imminent, that the paint jobs were for a specific event. The Germans had done it to minimize friendly fire during the battle itself.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.