Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated for more clarity on 12/3/2017 or 3/12/2017 for non-US users.

In no particular order:

On this first turn of the game, you place your worker on any neutral building and proceed to phase B. There is essentially no phase A on the first turn.

You draw cards up to your hand size at the end of each of your turns, not only when you deliver to Kansas City.

You cannot buy a worker from the job market row that has the circular job market token.

You always add new workers to the row with the circular job market token. Do not fill in empty spaces in other rows.

You do not place teepees or hazards into the job market.

You can upgrade one of your private buildings on the board by paying the difference between its craftsman cost and the new buildings craftsman cost. The replaced building is returned to the box , not your supply.

You may upgrade one of your private buildings even if one or more cattlemen are standing on it.

When buying cattle, you can add new cows to the market (via the "spend" 1 cowboy action to add 2 cattle) and buy cows in any order.

You can use the add cattle action to cause the cattle market to go over the designated limit for player count. The limit only applies at the beginning of the game and when adding cattle because of the job market token moving past the designated spots in the job market.

When removing a hazard or teepee from the board, do not slide the remaining tokens back to fill in gaps.

You may remove hazards/teepees that a cattleman is standing on. The cattleman will remain in that spot.

Your train must move at least 1 space into a turnout spot (either forwards or backwards) to be able to place a disk at that station.

Taking the station master tile is optional. If you take it, you must replace it with a worker of your choice from your player board. That worker must be the rightmost worker from its respective row. Ex. If you choose to use a Cowboy, and you have 4 Cowboys, you must use the 4th (rightmost) cowboy. This is included in this list because a few people thought the wording in the rules meant the only worker that could be placed as the station master was the 6th worker in the row (the literal rightmost).

Each player may place one disc at each station. There is no blocking in this regard.

When you reach the last space of the train track, after deciding whether to place a disc, you gain $3 and must move your train backwards to any open space on the track. If you move to a turnout space in this way, you may place a disc there and possibly take the station master tile as normal.

You pay money to players/bank for hands you cross or end your movement on in the order you moved. If you do not have enough money, pay what you can and then you no longer pay for any subsequent hands you encounter during this movement.

All actions on buildings are optional, but you must take money if the result of an action gives you money. You can for example choose not to discard a cow to get money if that is that action of a building. But you cannot discard the cow and not take the money.

If a building's action grants movement for your cattleman, you may take the actions of the next space you stop on. But you do not draw back to your handsize before you get there. So it's generally not advisable to use this movement to move to Kansas City if you discarded cards that turn.

The 3 cattleman movement action on some objective cards works differently. You cannot move to Kansas City with this movement. Using this movement also causes you to skip straight to phase C if you used the card during phase B. If you use it during phase A before you move, you do not use the actions of the building you land on with the card movement, but still carry out the rest of phase A and the subsequent phase B as normal. If you play this card at any time during phase B, you forfeit any remaining actions at your current building, then move, then you are in phase C. So you must play this card before you move in phase A or after your actions in phase B, or you won't take any actions that turn.

Taking an objective card due to the connection between cities you have delivered to is mandatory.

When performing the double auxiliary action on some buildings, you cannot perform 2 different single auxiliary actions.

When performing the "draw and discard" double auxiliary action, you draw 2 cards, then discard 2 cards. You do not draw 1 card, then discard 1 card twice.

When scoring station master tiles, you still count hazards and teepees used to fulfill objective cards.

Edits 1&2: fixed rules on objective card movement. Added a few more things regarding end of train track, start of game, and station master tiles.
Edits 3&4: grammar stuff
Edit 5: added info about upgrading and removing tiles that players are standing on.
Edit 6&7: further clarified replacing station tile with a worker
Edit 8: reworded station master worker situation to make it even clearer. Clarified 3 movement objective card as original wording was technically not correct after re-reading posts I got the info from.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
The 3 cattleman movement action on some objective cards works differently. You cannot move to Kansas City with this movement. Using this movement also causes you to skip phase B if you used the card during phase A, and forfeits the rest of phase B if you used the card during phase B. Basically if you use this card, you cannot perform anymore building actions this turn.

You are correct, and I think this one is the hardest to understand or accept. Fortunately, Herr Pfister himself posted the clarification of it. It seems like the best time to play this card is after performing phase B actions, in order to move further up the trail in preparation for the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:

The 3 cattleman movement action on some objective cards works differently. You cannot move to Kansas City with this movement. Using this movement also causes you to skip phase B if you used the card during phase A, and forfeits the rest of phase B if you used the card during phase B. Basically if you use this card, you cannot perform anymore building actions this turn.

I think this is wrong. The rules say that you cant use the building you stop on, but you can use it before moving, and then use your normal movement to move to a building that you use normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:

I think this is wrong. The rules say that you cant use the building you stop on, but you can use it before moving, and then use your normal movement to move to a building that you use normally.

No you can't. Using this card skips you to phase C.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664478/move-cattleman-obje...

Edit: I'm wrong here. Clarified in OP now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:

Incorrect. Simon is right. You skip to phase C if you using the card during phase B, but if you use the card before performing Phase A, you still get your regular movement and then do phase B and C as usual. The rules specifically state this.

The icon means you cannot use any of the actions on the location you move to with use of that icon. In this example, you still are not doing that, you are using the actions on another location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:

Incorrect. Simon is right. You skip to phase C if you using the card during phase B, but if you use the card before performing Phase A, you still get your regular movement and then do phase B and C as usual. The rules specifically state this.

The icon means you cannot use any of the actions on the location you move to with use of that icon. In this example, you still are not doing that, you are using the actions on another location.

Simon and Dave are correct. Honestly, I don't understand how this is confusing at all. Here's a quote from the designer:

AlexP wrote:
So there are 2 rules:
1. You may play an action card:
a) before performing phase A or
b) before or after performing any one action in phase B.

2. Regarding objective card with 3 movement: However, you are not allowed to use the location on which you stop.

This means technically: If you are in phase B and use this card before performing an action, you move away from your building and loose all actions. Therefore, for this objective card, playing it before an action is never good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
First and most importantly, fantastic work! Really nice job.

Thanks for putting this together!

Dulkal wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:

I'm 99% sure this interpretation is correct. It's essentially additional movement and nothing more than that.

For example:

Say your movement is currently 4 and you have an objective card in hand with a 3 movement. My understanding is that you can do one of the following:

* Play the card and move up to 3, then take your regular turn of moving up to 4 (A) and taking the action (B). Therefore it's really an up to 7 movement and then taking the action.

OR

* Take your regular turn and move up to 4 (A) and take the action (B). Then play the card and move up to 3 simply to advance yourself along the trail and possibly through some hazards. As you stated, you can not move into KC with this sequence as that would trigger an action which you can not take.

In summary, it's just bonus movement (and skipping hazard tolls). It is not a second turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben M
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would add a few more easy-to-overlook rules:

For the first turn of the game, players may begin in ANY neutral building.

To install a stationmaster, use the rightmost worker (either cowboy, craftsman, or engineer) of a row on your player mat. You do not have to have a worker in the rightmost SPACE of the row.

When doing a double auxiliary action for drawing/discarding, you may draw two cards before discarding two (as opposed to draw one, discard one, draw a second, discard a second).

After your train reaches space 39, you may upgrade the train station as usual. Afterwards, you must then move your train backwards to ANY free spot on the entire track including turnouts. You also receive $3, which may be applied towards immediately upgrading another train station, should you have moved your train to a turnout spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After re-reading the thread again I see what you are all saying. I somehow kept glossing over the refrence to "only in phase B" regarding this. I will update OP shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:

For example:

Say your movement is currently 4 and you have an objective card in hand with a 3 movement. My understanding is that you can do one of the following:

* Play the card and move up to 3, then take your regular turn of moving up to 4 (A) and taking the action (B). Therefore it's really an up to 7 movement and then taking the action.

OR

* Take your regular turn and move up to 4 (A) and take the action (B). Then play the card and move up to 3 simply to advance yourself along the trail and possibly through some hazards. As you stated, you can not move into KC with this sequence as that would trigger an action which you can not take.

In summary, it's just bonus movement (and skipping hazard tolls). It is not a second turn.

Just so. Note, however, that by the rules as written you cannot do the movement in reverse order (Move 4, then play the card and move up to 3, then take your action). This might matter if you wanted to skip hazards during the latter part of your movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kisli Kiwi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just got the game and read the rules and I have a question I can't find the answer to in this moment.

Regarding hand limit - what happens when your hand limit is 4, you already have 4 cows in your hand and you want to buy another one? You discard one in your personal discard deck? Or is it not possible to buy more cows when your hand limit is full?

EDIT: forget it, the newly bought cows go into the personal discard deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My confusion was only with this 9a building action:
Quote:
Perform an extraordinary delivery: First, move your engine one or more spaces backwards. Then choose a city crest whose city value is equal to or lower than the number of spaces that you just moved your engine backwards (occupied spaces and turnout spaces, however, do not count towards this number). As usual, you may not choose any city crest that already has one of your discs on it (except Kansas City or San Francisco). Then, following the usual rules, place one of your player discs from your player board onto the chosen city crest. If this triggers any delivery actions, perform these as usual. You do not have to pay any transport costs, however. If your engine has landed on a turnout space, you may now upgrade its train station following the usual rules. Then this local action ends.

I had to think it over and over to finally get into conclusion that this is not delivery. You do not gain money for it and you do not choose workers or teepees.. The problem for me was in the wording "following the usual rules".
The mentioned triggering of delivery action is actually drawing an objective card or gaining/paying money (3 from the movement space or -5 for card limit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
My confusion was only with this 9a building action:
Quote:
Perform an extraordinary delivery: First, move your engine one or more spaces backwards. Then choose a city crest whose city value is equal to or lower than the number of spaces that you just moved your engine backwards (occupied spaces and turnout spaces, however, do not count towards this number). As usual, you may not choose any city crest that already has one of your discs on it (except Kansas City or San Francisco). Then, following the usual rules, place one of your player discs from your player board onto the chosen city crest. If this triggers any delivery actions, perform these as usual. You do not have to pay any transport costs, however. If your engine has landed on a turnout space, you may now upgrade its train station following the usual rules. Then this local action ends.

I had to think it over and over to finally get into conclusion that this is not delivery. You do not gain money for it and you do not choose workers or teepees.. The problem for me was in the wording "following the usual rules".
The mentioned triggering of delivery action is actually drawing an objective card or gaining/paying money (3 from the movement space or -5 for card limit).

There is a whole thread about this particular building. Given that not everyone will use it or even build it, I decided against putting it in this list. Most of the things in this list come up every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one that should be obvious (but I heard a few podcasters misinterpet it) is that you cannot use an opponents building for its building effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Prachar
Czech Republic
Praha 4
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to clear this a bit more:

Taking the station master tile is optional. If you take it you must replace it with the rightmost available worker of your choice from your player board. It does not have to be the physically rightmost (ie 6th) worker in a row.

OK. It is clear that it does not have to be the 6th row. But can I choose? Let´s say I have 3 Cowboys, 2 Craftsmen and 4 Engineers. Do I have to use the Engineer or the rightmost guy from any of the rows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pogo wrote:
I would like to clear this a bit more:

Taking the station master tile is optional. If you take it you must replace it with the rightmost available worker of your choice from your player board. It does not have to be the physically rightmost (ie 6th) worker in a row.

OK. It is clear that it does not have to be the 6th row. But can I choose? Let´s say I have 3 Cowboys, 2 Craftsmen and 4 Engineers. Do I have to use the Engineer or the rightmost guy from any of the rows?

the rightmost in any of the rows... you can choose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did say "of your choice." This is exactly why technical writing sucks, because it takes a million words to explain the simplest thing with no ambiguity.

I have clarified this further in the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice writeup!
One more question:
you can't reach KC with the "Bonus movement" even from Buildings?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
Nice writeup!
One more question:
you can't reach KC with the "Bonus movement" even from Buildings?
Thanks!

legend5555 wrote:

If a building's action grants movement for your cattleman, you may take the actions of the next space you stop on. But you do not draw back to your handsize before you get there. So it's generally not advisable to use this movement to move to Kansas City if you discarded cards that turn.

While not explicitly stated, this quote from the OP implies that you can move to KC with a building action that gives movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
You can put building 3a or 3b just before KC, go there and discard two cards for money (3a) resp. cull up to two cards with the last auxiliary action (3b, assuming you have opened it), then move the last step to KC and make a delivery. However you can't fill up your hand again to replace the missing two cards before making the delivery, i.e. your delivered herd will consist of just two cows (or three/four, if you've upped the hand card limit).

While allowed, this course of building placement and utilization is disrecommended as a very unwise thing to do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
You can put building 3a or 3b just before KC, go there and discard two cards for money (3a) resp. cull up to two cards with the last auxiliary action (3b, assuming you have opened it), then move the last step to KC and make a delivery. However you can't fill up your hand again to replace the missing two cards before making the delivery, i.e. your delivered herd will consist of just two cows (or three/four, if you've upped the hand card limit).

While allowed, this course of building placement and utilization is disrecommended as a very unwise thing to do...

Yeah, I played yesterday ( and I really enjoyed it! ) and the two "veteran" players both did this. Thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Barth
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wanted some quick clarification, and thought this was the best place for it.

The cattle market does not refresh when one is bought correct? The only way to get new cattle cards in the market place is to spend a cowboy worker to draw two more cards correct?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It refreshes twice before the end of the game. When the employee track thing moves down it can replenish automatically if the appropriate icon is there. Other than that, yes the only way to replenish is by "drawing" cards to the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Barth
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
reddish22 wrote:
It refreshes twice before the end of the game. When the employee track thing moves down it can replenish automatically if the appropriate icon is there. Other than that, yes the only way to replenish is by "drawing" cards to the middle.

Thanks for that. I forgot about the employee job track thing. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Barth
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quick question

If I promote one of my workers to a station master that is covering an immediate action, and then I hire another worker to take that workers space on my playerboard, do I get the immediate action again? Or do those only happen once. More specifically on the track of purple guys, since it seems that each spot has an immediate action.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.