Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I'm hoping you seasoned Armada vets will be able to help me with my question. I also appreciate your patience for what is probably a common theme in the forums.

A good friend of mine lives in another city. For the holidays he will be in town and we plan to get together for an afternoon to hang out and play games. For his birthday he got SW Armada and some expansions and is super excited to play them. So much so that he will be bringing them with him so we can do just that.

I'm totally down with that but aside from the basics, I don't know the game. Historically when we've gotten together like this we haven't had loads of time (he is a father and can't just spend morning to night hanging out with me). As such I'm really keen to make the most of our game time together.

I've already downloaded the rules and I'm going to read them and become familiar with them so that should help alleviate downtown from actual playing. Another area that can slow things down would be selecting your cards and such before starting. I know this from my gaming of Attack Wing and this is what brings me here. I'm hoping you all could suggest some layouts (can't think of the better word for it) so we can just gather those items and go. Because we're inexperienced with the game, I don't know if there is as much value spending time selecting the cards and ships ourselves.

So it will just be the two of us playing on a table that is no bigger than 33" x 71". He owns one of the following and is bringing them all with him.

Star Wars: Armada

Star Wars: Armada – Rogues and Villains Expansion Pack

Star Wars: Armada – Imperial Fighter Squadrons Expansion Pack

Star Wars: Armada – Rebel Fighter Squadrons Expansion Pack

So which ships, crew, abilities combinations should we use to get started? I don't know what is an appropriate point value to start with so I will defer to whatever you guys think is best. Will allow the most fun with a couple of new players that are just looking to pew pew at each other while catching up.

Thanks so much for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My quick 2c:

Skip the objectives, you don't have enough ships.

Go light on upgrades for your ships. Too many and you'll confuse yourself and miss things.

Use all the Rebel fighter heroes, and Han Solo.

Use Howlrunner, Vader, and Bobba Fett

Here's a some examples you should be able to run:

http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the Learn to Play book, and play that. Play one more game with some extra squads, same ship setups to save time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
His expansions are all squadrons, so you'll only be fighting with the core set ships (The Victory class Imperial Star Destroyer, the Corellian Corvette, and the Nebulon-B Frigate.

You should play the starter scenario the first time (just using the core box). Once complete, you could probably make a 200 point game, with ship upgrades and named squadrons making the most of the point total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Take a look at this:
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?751787-Ready-for-Battle
(Can't find the original article on ffg's site for some reason)

You will find some nice suggestions on playing with a single core set. Maybe increase the fleet value and throw in some named squadrons from the expansions, as the others have suggested.
Also, if you want to practice with the game beforehand, I'd suggest you to download the Armada mod for Vassal, or better yet for Tabletop Simulator (which is not free, however) since I find it closer to the real thing. I'd suggest you to watch some core set demos on youtube as well, but they're usually full of missed rules and misplays so be warned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
My quick 2c:

Skip the objectives, you don't have enough ships.

Go light on upgrades for your ships. Too many and you'll confuse yourself and miss things.

Use all the Rebel fighter heroes, and Han Solo.

Use Howlrunner, Vader, and Bobba Fett

Here's a some examples you should be able to run:

So today my friend and are were able to schedule some time to play. I had read the rules ahead of time and he had played (most of) the learning game with a different friend on Boxing Day.

We used your suggestions and it was very helpful, thank you. The game was slow going getting this set up and sorted, with rule reviews and the like, so it was really nice to play with the cards and specific characters (Boba Fett was fun) without spending all the time trying to figure out our fleets in addition to everything else (we decided to ignore objectives and obstacles though). So I appreciate the time you put in to the suggestions.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.