Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pax Romana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cavalry in Towns and Cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon H
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing an Ftf game soon including a guy who is a lawyer and always takes me to task if I'm not 100% clear on the rules . I'd just like to ask about cavalry in cities/towns.

They don't add any defending BP if the town is used - but do they get eliminated as 1BP-worth of losses? Before any damage is applied to walls?

Also, if a defending stack retreats from a city/town space they didn't use in the defence, does the attacker get to advance into the space, even though they don't yet control it? They would presumably have to expend 1 movement point for the advance (or is it 2 because it is enemy controlled?), and then another one to attack the city/town, if they have points remaining. Is this correct?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They don't add any defending BP if the town is used - but do they get eliminated as 1BP-worth of losses? Before any damage is applied to walls?


You can withdraw cavalry from the town before, but they cannot be used in a siege at all (when the walls are used) even to take losses. You could choose to either withdraw them or fight in front of the town (I've actually seen this cause a leader to fail a leader death roll!)

Quote:
Also, if a defending stack retreats from a city/town space they didn't use in the defence, does the attacker get to advance into the space, even though they don't yet control it? They would presumably have to expend 1 movement point for the advance (or is it 2 because it is enemy controlled?), and then another one to attack the city/town, if they have points remaining. Is this correct?


Do you mean "retreat" or "withdraw"? If the defending stack withdraws, you can advance with only the cost of 1 MP (it doesn't cost you 2 MP any longer to occupy because there was no battle). Otherwise, it costs you 2 MP to move into the space (because you must attack even if it's an empty reduced town with no walls - it is still 2 MP). Now in the case that the army has retreated, you are already in the space, so no more MP (just the two you already spent). You don't have to spend any more MP to attack the town once you are in the space - you have already spent the two.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon H
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
You can withdraw cavalry from the town before, but they cannot be used in a siege at all (when the walls are used) even to take losses. You could choose to either withdraw them or fight in front of the town


OK, so what if you do neither, and the attackers fight against the town walls only when there are still cavalry units in the space. What happens to the cavalry if the attackers do enough damage to take the town/city?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon H
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
Now in the case that the army has retreated, you are already in the space, so no more MP (just the two you already spent). You don't have to spend any more MP to attack the town once you are in the space - you have already spent the two.


So, I move into a city space and defeat an enemy that chooses not to use the city to defend. They choose to retreat after the defeat. Can I now continue to attack the City for no MP expenditure until it falls? Even if this takes several rolls?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shaldon wrote:
mgringo wrote:
Now in the case that the army has retreated, you are already in the space, so no more MP (just the two you already spent). You don't have to spend any more MP to attack the town once you are in the space - you have already spent the two.


So, I move into a city space and defeat an enemy that chooses not to use the city to defend. They choose to retreat after the defeat. Can I now continue to attack the City for no MP expenditure until it falls? Even if this takes several rolls?


No. After each unsuccessful attack, you need to regroup. It will cost a minimum of 2 MP to attack again.

I think I am confusing you. I meant before that if you move into a space and the opponent withdraws, your additional MP for moving into the space is not charged. If it is a town in question, however, the very existence of the town implies that you have to pay the extra MP.

This is how it goes:

You are attacking an army in a neighboring space. You pay 2 MP to attack.
You fail to overcome the enemy and return to the space from which you attacked. You pay 2 MP more to attack again. Et cetera.

Same thing if it is a town.

My point before is that if you pay 2 MP to attack and the army withdraws, then you only spent 1 MP. If it's a Town of course, you still spent 2 MP (because Towns cannot withdraw ;-) )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shaldon wrote:
mgringo wrote:
You can withdraw cavalry from the town before, but they cannot be used in a siege at all (when the walls are used) even to take losses. You could choose to either withdraw them or fight in front of the town


OK, so what if you do neither, and the attackers fight against the town walls only when there are still cavalry units in the space. What happens to the cavalry if the attackers do enough damage to take the town/city?


They are eliminated, unless they can retreat.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon H
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm trying to clear up is this : I move into a space containing a town and some enemy units, and pay 2MP to attack. They do not use the town. I win the battle, and the enemy units opt to retreat. So, I won the battle - do I still have to regroup because there is a town in the space, and then spend 2MP to attack it? I'm guessing so. Thanks for your responses so far!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shaldon wrote:
What I'm trying to clear up is this : I move into a space containing a town and some enemy units, and pay 2MP to attack. They do not use the town. I win the battle, and the enemy units opt to retreat. So, I won the battle - do I still have to regroup because there is a town in the space, and then spend 2MP to attack it? I'm guessing so. Thanks for your responses so far!


If you win the battle and they retreat (or are completely eliminated), you must attack the town and there is no need to regroup so no extra MP are spent. You only need to regroup if your attack is not completely successful.

Ok?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon H
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think I get it. An immediate second battle is fought, against just the town, for no MP cost. Thanks a lot for your help. Since that scenario could be likely to occur on turn one for Rome vs the Greeks in Southern Italy, it was confusing me greatly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks, Michael, for answering this.

And yes, if you attack a force a Town/City space, and the defender doesn't use the Town/City itself for the defence, and if he retreats as a result of the combat, then you MUST attack the Town/City immediately.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.