Hide
8 Posts

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong» Forums » Rules

Subject: Forensic Scientist Tile Placement Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Lane
msg tools
My lady friend likes to play the game where instead of the forensic scientist randomly drawing a clue tile and placing it, the scientist is able to look at all the clue tiles, and place the one that he/she thinks fits best.

I'm thinking the game is best played the way the designer intended, and was wondering why he made it random, versus the way my lady friend likes to play.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Payawal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By being able to choose specific tiles, one makes it much easier on the investigators. The random drawing of tiles may mean that you end up with a tile that can't easily be tied to a particular clue or means; effectively, a potential red herring. We've had games in which the investigators became fixated on the bullet placed a particular tile, and as a result, they were less attentive to the more relevant tiles.

If you want to make the drawing slightly less random, I have considered this variant: On their turn, the FS can draw two tiles, and choose one to place - and then discard the other one face down. This also means that the FS may draw two useful tiles, or two red herring-type tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
One thing I've started telling new Forensic Scientists is that you're trying to tell the story of the murder. There are many "useless" clue cards in this game that the FS would never choose to use, but when faced with them in a random draw, must somehow come up with a way to incorporate them. Too often they are still treated as useless clues--and, many times, they are, but those times where you can make it work can really make the game sing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spazticus wrote:
By being able to choose specific tiles, one makes it much easier on the investigators. The random drawing of tiles may mean that you end up with a tile that can't easily be tied to a particular clue or means; effectively, a potential red herring. We've had games in which the investigators became fixated on the bullet placed a particular tile, and as a result, they were less attentive to the more relevant tiles.

If you want to make the drawing slightly less random, I have considered this variant: On their turn, the FS can draw two tiles, and choose one to place - and then discard the other one face down. This also means that the FS may draw two useful tiles, or two red herring-type tiles.

I really like this and am going to start incorporating it into play.
Esp with new FS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like this would make the game way too easy, but maybe if you gave each player 12 cards (6 and 6) each it might balance it out..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The location card is not random, so you have 24 different answers for one clue. This is really powerful, and should be enough to point out one of the answers. Being able to get another non-random card giving several more opportunities would make the game unbalanced (especially as you get a few of these).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm with Kirk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WW Bulk
msg tools
gusphan wrote:
My lady friend likes to play the game where instead of the forensic scientist randomly drawing a clue tile and placing it, the scientist is able to look at all the clue tiles, and place the one that he/she thinks fits best.

I'm thinking the game is best played the way the designer intended, and was wondering why he made it random, versus the way my lady friend likes to play.

Thoughts?

Imo this is an awful change to the game and if you lady friend did that in my group I would simply refuse to play.

The part of looking at all tiles and choosing the most appropriate one is imo absurd.

You might as well hand the investigators the win. The fact that you can draw tiles which might not be "relevant" is part of the mechanics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.