Subject: Growing up options (my 2 cents) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why I'm so stuck on this, but my Orphan just grew up, and I've been evaluating the best, worst and otherwise of options. I know this may have been posted elsewhere, but this is my take.

Gunslinger: I don't think I like this one too much, but you will have the benefit of better defense and won't suffer from the lack of combat expertise. The only thing about the gunslinger is that they are built around their starting upgrades that wouldn't be available until the fourth tier skill for the Orphan.

Indian Scout: Just doesn't go anywhere, however, the ability to recover a sanity every turn, might jive very well with the voices of the ancestors 4 sanity damage to recover a grit. I think this choice suffers from a lackluster class inherently. However, given a mix of the Orphans attack bonuses paired with the Scouts exploration bonuses, you could make the class pretty viable.

Bandido: By missing out on the starting upgrades you are missing out on some cool abilities, but mixing the melee skills in with the Orphans Rage starting upgrade, might make for some great synergy. Of course you aren't going to be a dual wielder, but you will have the benefit of a better to hit and much better willpower.

Outlaw: I actually think I really like this one. You don't have to worry about having either a 5+ in ranged or a 5+ in defense, but you won't be dual wielding. On the other hand you should just use your shotgun and a better pistol. Plus you've got your auto-evade as an Orphan.

Prospector: If you are going with a melee route, this could be really cool. However, I'm not sure what you can do to get the heavy mining pick. I kind of figure that you can buy one as Jason stated in some comments where you can buy your starting items in town if you lose them. Especially if you go to an Outlaw Prospector you get access to shotguns which could be really cool. Also this class has a lot of built in ability and doesn't really need the starting upgrades

Frontier Doc: I think I'm right that this one is awesome. You can use your 4+ Orphan starting skill for range attacks, you are good at healing yourself, and you'll get that docs bag item. Couple that with some good bonuses to melee and the +3 to healing with bandages and you will be pretty kickass as support and damage dealer. Oh, plus good defense.

Saloon girl/Billy Joel: This can be a good combo, but you would be a bit hampered without a hold out pistol, if you are going straight melee you will be really strong though. With auto evade and built in self heal you are pretty much a super ninja. Also, you'll be healing others and yourself every turn which, well is almost unfair.

Rancher: This is always my go to, but I almost feel that it's a bit boring, and almost anti-thematic. Still that rapid shot and most of the upgrade trees are really kick-ass so it's a no-brainer. The only anti-thematic part is that, as opposed to a starting Rancher class where you've been a Rancher and now you are going on the road and applying what you know to your new life, you've been on the road and somehow you are remembering your Rancher lifestyle. Just doesn't makes sense that you grow into a domestic class unless you're talking about amnesia or something like that. In which case it could be even more fun. Or maybe you've repressed your former life growing up on the farm, until you find the killers. Ehhh. maybe it does make more sense.

Most of the Outlaw, Doc, Prospector classes make sense. You are growing up with guns, mines, wounds, and visiting towns/saloons and other places. Kind of makes sense for most of the classes. Indian Scout is a little wonky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is working on an Orphan/Rancher right now named Dolores (see: West-World on HBO), and its working out pretty well for her, AND if fun to role-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pulis
United States
Greenfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what mission you get it could Change things also. I personally went Dynamite Bandido after completing the Ranged 3+ one. WIth the 4th level of the grow up fast tree you can get the Dynamite bandidos dynamite Satchel, as well if you are already Melee Focused it can help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I forget. If they grow up to be a cowboy, can they pick up a lasso?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:

Yeah, they can. I just checked that out last night. They get any starting items that are not keyword weapon. The lasso is just gear or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:

Yes, but an orphan's low strength is gonna minimize the value of the lasso. Probably still worth it for the other synergies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried the Orphan 3 times already.

The strongest one did grow up as a Preacher, in order to use Zealot and the Faith Healing power. She uses a Spirit Bow.

Right now in a let's play I'm playing an Orphan/Prospector combo. She's interesting! I think I will go spirit bow with her as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pulis
United States
Greenfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My orphan Grew up into a Dynamite Bandido, by getting the Tier 4 Grow up ability. He also got the 3+ ranged attack, so he does not miss much with Dynamite. Coupled with a calvary Sabre and tools of Sciences he is pretty Decent, and although not broken, Can hold his own. By the way, he is going with his nickname "El Kaboom"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.