M.U.L.E. The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Selling and buying. Or what does simultaneous mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ossi Toivonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game for the first time today. None of us hadn't played before but I've played C64 version a lot back in the day. 4/5 cases when I said "on computer game it went like this" I was right. The one case was selling and buying and what it means to be simultaneous. So to clarify here is the question.

Situation:

Store has no food.

Played A wants to buy food but is low on money.

Player B wants to sell 2 food. But He doesn't want to sell it to player A because reasons.

So how does this go? If player B sells to the store can the player A then by it from the store? If so how is this simultaneous? How about the rule that player is allowed to sell to who ever they choose?

Thanks for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ossi_Toivonen wrote:
If player B sells to the store can the player A then by it from the store?
Yes.
Ossi_Toivonen wrote:
If so how is this simultaneous?
Because you're not taking turns. Everyone transacts as much as they want until no one wants to do anything else.
Player B can choose to sell to the store, but the phase doesn't end there because Player A will want to buy. Player B can choose to sell directly to another player who is buying, possibly depriving Player A.
What typically happens is Player B sells directly to Player A at a price between what Player B could sell for and Player A could buy for at the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Flood
United States
Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I the computer game, player A would just sit at the store and wait in case player B decided to sell before time ran out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossi Toivonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlashFlood52 wrote:
I the computer game, player A would just sit at the store and wait in case player B decided to sell before time ran out.

I think this is a deviation from the computer game because in it you had to sell to the highest bidder. In the board game you can sell to whomever you choose regardless of the price. So If you are selling food and A would pay 6 for it, you can instead sell to B even if they only pay 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossi Toivonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
Ossi_Toivonen wrote:
If player B sells to the store can the player A then by it from the store?
Yes.
Ossi_Toivonen wrote:
If so how is this simultaneous?
Because you're not taking turns. Everyone transacts as much as they want until no one wants to do anything else.
Player B can choose to sell to the store, but the phase doesn't end there because Player A will want to buy. Player B can choose to sell directly to another player who is buying, possibly depriving Player A.
What typically happens is Player B sells directly to Player A at a price between what Player B could sell for and Player A could buy for at the store.

Ok. I think I understand what you mean. The problem is that is not simultaneous at all. If you do the selling and buying one after the other then it is the opposite of simultaneous.

I just found the additional Q&A and it confirms your view of the rules. So the market happens simultaneously but not in the same time. Got it! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's simultaneous (not done in player order) except for the situation you described, where one player wants to buy from the store but must wait for another player to sell to the store first.

As Kayvon said, in this situation normally the seller and buyer just negotiate a price. But if the seller doesn't want to sell to a certain player regardless of the price, he'll either have to sell to another player or hold on to his goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Harju
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ossi_Toivonen wrote:
FlashFlood52 wrote:

I think this is a deviation from the computer game because in it you had to sell to the highest bidder. In the board game you can sell to whomever you choose regardless of the price. So If you are selling food and A would pay 6 for it, you can instead sell to B even if they only pay 5.

While the game contains many deviations from the computer game, this is actually not one of them. In the computer game, a player could sell to a lower bidder by triggering a Collusion with them. In this board game, when two players agree to trade with each other in spite of a higher bidder, that is effectively the same as triggering a Collusion, but it was unnecessary to make that a separate mechanism in the board game (i.e. having a rule that says you always have to sell to highest bidder, except when you shout "collusion", in which case you would ignore the previous rule).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.