Subject: Thoughts from the W40K: Conquest Slow Lane rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
The way my friends and I have experienced this game is probably different than a competitive deckbuilder weaned on M:TG and other head-to-head card strategy games would approach it. We started messing around with it this summer. We got a lot of stuff wrong our first series of battles and all the little rules seemed very crunchy to us — we still have to consult the web a lot when we run into new situations or realize we've been playing a card wrong for months.

Just the same, it's now my favorite game. Out of the 50 or so on our shelf, it's the only one I really care about — and that's just based on the core set! I realize that to the veterans out there this would seem like buying a Ferrari and never getting it out of second gear, but the core set is a blast for my group. I have been evangelizing for the game and investing lots of time in walking new players through their first game: The hook sinks deep every time. Everybody I teach it to loves it.

I have stocked up on extra core sets, both deluxe expansions and war packs. I heard about the FFG/GW divorce, too, and want to ensure that I've got years of interesting play in front of me should I ever want to build a competitive deck. But I'm in no hurry: My approach has been to try out playing all the armies, seeing how they match up and enjoying the battle narratives that arise out of each unique matchup. And I'm still seeing something new every time — a delicate juncture where a card I thought was crap is suddenly indispensable or a grievous attack from an opponent gives me new respect for a faction that I steamrolled last time. Have the games been swingy? Sometimes, but it's still mind-bogglingly fun. And no matter the faction, I'm slowly building a framework to approach the battle/resource/deployment puzzle, which has also been satisfying.

I was talking to my cousin last night about the itch to buy new games and discovered he was the same kind of player I was: More enthralled with exploration and less with competitive optimization — fine-tuning strategy to grind out incremental advantage. In this regard, W40K: Conquest has plenty to offer. Hell, I'll probably play the vanilla armies and keep teaching new people all winter...probably get another year's mileage out of just swapping out warlords and their signature cards from warpacks into the starter sets. Then maybe dip a toe into competitive deck customization later on.

If you've got a mean custom deck and haunt your local game shop for CCG nights, we probably won't be sitting across from each other anytime soon. I'm definitely in the slow lane, but still having the best time I've had with a new game in years. This game has a lot to offer us, even at lower speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Amen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say just how good it is to read of someone enjoying a game this much just for the love of the game itself! I agree, the game is fantastic, and I'll still be playing it for years (hopefully!) just because it is so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for reading! I have always loved the W40K universe, but never had any desire to paint figurines or verify LOS with a ruler. For me, this game was the perfect vehicle for playing in that universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is amazing and if you are into long strategy board games fantasy flight's Forbidden Stars is also really well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Destrio wrote:
This game is amazing and if you are into long strategy board games fantasy flight's Forbidden Stars is also really well done.

Everything I've read about it looks compelling. Had my eye on this one for a while. Although when it's more than two people, anything longer than two hours or heavier than medium weight is a tough sell at our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
mbmb
There's also Cry Havoc which you might want to look at. It's not an easy game at all and some factions are far easier to learn than others, but it's very challenging and fun, and also doesn't last more than 2hrs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Sybaris wrote:
There's also Cry Havoc which you might want to look at. It's not an easy game at all and some factions are far easier to learn than others, but it's very challenging and fun, and also doesn't last more than 2hrs.

Was actually reading about this for the first time this morning. Thank you for the recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.