Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dawn of civilization began on May 26th, 2007 at 1:30PM EST. It was then that the Marblessian civilization was started. I am Empiricles, scribe historian of that civilization. I will tell you their tale.

From the beginning the two first Marblessian tribes knew their ultimate goal, they wanted to travel across the lands of their genesis, which were near the mountains, and establish a city by the sea. It was by the sea that they believed they could found an empire to last the ages.

The first Era began with the people (which is what the Marblessians called themselves at this time) simply frolicking and having children. No major events occurred. A short while later the people were visited by a band visiting Nordic tradesman. The Nordic tradesman were highly beneficent and provided the people with eight units of gold in trade for things the people didn't value. The people built a city in the far eastern edge of their lands. Although the people now had plenty of gold from their trades with the Nordic people they were too primitive and innocent to do anything constructive with it and so they wasted it making simple golden jewelry and idols (their women and shamans were quite happy though.) More Marblessians were eventually born and lived for another few years with no outside events to slow them down. In this time of prosperity they invented "Masonry" and dedicated some of the people to work in this area full time. With the bricks provided by the masons the sole Marblessian city grew more powerful.

Towards the middle of the first era a catastrophe struck. Mount Malevolent, an active volcano in the middle of the people's lands,
blew its top. Two tribes were lost and the region formed a new desert. Despite the tragedy the Marblessians were able to invent a
new discovery where by food could be transported by carts. They called the discovery "Cartage." Some of the more agrarian tribes occupied themselves with chopping down the forest in the land next to the land their city was on and converted it to farm lands. After the volcanic eruption there was a short time of peace in the lands and the people expanded without hindrance.

Time marched on and the latter part of the first era began with a period of several days and nights of torrential rain. The most central land of the people was flooded and two tribes were lost. The last years of the first era produced no more painful events to endure and the people created a city in the region where they had chopped down the trees and created a farm in previous years. With two cities in their empire they decided that the new city would be called "New city" and the old city would be called "Eastern City." New City grew in stature to be as large as Eastern City and with the growth of this additional hub of civilization the Marblessians discovered how to make simple machines to assist them with constructions. With this discovery New City and Eastern City grew yet more powerful. The Marblessians also learned that they could build roads and how to read and write. The discovers of these new technological advancements called them "engineering", "Road Building" and "Literacy." Thus ended the first era.

The second era began with new problems for the people. A sandstorm swept in from the west and decimated the farm lands they had built in the lands around New City. This would have caused the people many problems but the hardworking tribes in a central land converted the forest there to farm lands and with their carts carried the food from the farms there to New City allowing New City to maintain its greatness. A few people in the desert lands tried to promote inter-tribal war. Luckily for the Marblessians there were not enough of the trouble makers to form even a single complete tribe so their attempt at starting tribal war was unsuccessful. The people continued to live in peace long enough to use their road building ability and travel to the edge of the sea, convert the forest there to become farms and found the city of New Port. With the city's founding the Marblessians had met their two era long goal and declared victory. So ends the tale of the Marblessians and Pocket-Civ Scenario 1 "From the Mountains to the Sea."

If the Marblessians were to be judged in absolute terms one could say they scored twenty for victory points in an era and a third. The Marblessians required about 30 minutes of other world time to complete their odyssey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. This game seems to interest me more and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stanford
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
linearites discover "From the mountains to the Sea"
The linearites, seeing the success of the marblessians, desired to follow them to the sea. While they knew of the marblessians success, they could find no trace of these ancient peoples.

In the first decade of the first Era, the linearites moved into the hills of 2 and 8 from their mountain home of 6 and 7. Fate saved them, as a sandstorm occured in a land not present.

In their second decade, they had many children amongst their lands, and settled in the volcanic region of 4.

While there was a great shaking in the region of their goal in their third decade, there was no affect on the peoples, and they were very productive, building cities in their mountain home, and the hills of 8 as well as a farm to support their new town.

The linearites turned their sites on technology in their fourth decade after another save by fate keeping the lands they knew of from being flooded. They started to work on the construction of stronger buildings and invented masonry. Their home city of 6 was greatly improved.

The fifth decade was a peaceful one, dedicated towards the study of travel, as the people massed along the border of the desert, seeking passage to the sea. The linearites invented both cartage and roadbuilding in this decade, while also improving their hill home's construction.

In the sixth decade, the linearites surged across the desert on their newly built roads, hoping to build a port on the sea. There was a great fire in their volcanic region neighboring their hill city, but the linearites had all abandonned those areas to find the sea and were not harmed by the fire in the sky. They built a strong port city on the sea and fed the city from a newly built farm in the mountains, reaching their goal still in the first era, with advances totalling 10 victory points.

I got very lucky, with no events destroying my people, and 2 events happening in the unused region. It took me longer to write up what happened than to play the game, but both were enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I just played this same scenario as my first game. I didn't write down all my moves but it went very similar to Dave's:
ERA 1:
- city in 6
- masonry by 6
- farm in 8
- city in 8
- cartage by 8 and roadbuilding by 6 (in same turn)
- farm in 7
- city in 1 (uses farm in 7 thanks to cartage)
Mission accomplished in only 7 turns.

I must say I was lucky with events (earthquake in 3, sandstorm in 2, famine in 4), loosing just 1 tribe.

My strategy was just to go for roadbuilding to get my tribes from 8 to 1. I always tried to spread out my tribes as much as possible.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.