17 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Descent 2e Miniature Painting * updated * rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt v
msg tools
Hi Folks

First time painters here my girlfriend and I. We did a bit of research on painting and used a Citadel starter paint kit we picked up at a local game shop

Be warned these are far from professional and we still need a semi-gloss finish to seal it all

Spiders :

Here we didn't do anything too fancy, if we were a bit more artistic I would try doing all brown and add some highlights. Pretty basic painting on these guys forsure but looks better than red and white

Master Zombie

I think it looks decent, we didn't do any trimming on the models but now that they are painted I really notice the improvements that could be made to smooth them out.

Zombies :

We washed all the zombies with Agarax Earthshade by Citadel. We probably could have benefit from using various different wash colors on different areas.

This is just the start to our painting adventure. They are nowhere near the quality I see online from other folks but I hope they at least look " ALRIGHT ". I would appreciate some honest feedback on these, no need to be polite I would rather hear the truth

Thanks !

** UPDATE **
I had Laser eye surgery done last Friday the 9th and for the past week I have been off work so we had plenty of time to do some late night painting. We also did a Semi-Gloss on all the ones we painted previously and are very happy with how they look sealed. The local board game shop guy has 20 years experience and has always sealed his miniatures until a year ago he said. Originally he talked us out of doing it but we picked up a semi-gloss a week later anyways because it finishes the miniatures to how we want them to look. The fellow said in his experience the miniatures start to fade and blur over time with a seal. Anyway we are glad we didn't take his advice. Here are the results

Ultimately we decided to avoid Dry brushing as our attempts were not the greatest ( RIP Master Zombie ) Don't worry he is fixed . It seems neither of us have the hands for it and are happy with the results as is

Spiders -The originals looked much better than the regular white and black plastic but after getting into some of the other monster groups they were quite plain to look at.

Merriod- We regret washing these guys with such a dark wash ( we were warned previously ). We didn't have access to a lighter color and took our chances with the dark. Whats done is done they just look a bit dirty.

Dragons-
Nothing too fancy here...stay tuned for Valyndra.

Ettins- The dark wash on these gave the effect we were looking for on the filthy Ettins

Barghests- Turned out decently well.

Goblin Archers-
The small monsters are tough to paint for me so my girlfriend actually did most of these.

Flesh Moulders-
Did pretty basic colors on these.

Trolls-
We picked up a monster pack and started working on the Trolls. Again the light flesh tone we regret the dark wash. On something like the Ettin I feel it gives them a " dirty " tone which matches but on the Troll and Merriods it just doesn't go well. We decided to live with it instead of stripping them down and redoing.

We picked up the Visions of Dawn hero & monster pack this past week. Ogres and Manticores to come in the next few days. We actually received 3 Ogres 2 Trolls and only 1 Manticore, they gave us an extra Ogre and forgot one Manticore so I have sent a ticket in to have the missing piece replaced.

Hope you guys enjoyed

**UPDATE**

Hi folks, we got around to painting a few of the Lieutenants this week. All we have left are the hero's, manticore, elementals ( we have no idea what to do with these )

Lady Eliza Farrow

Sir Alric Farrow

Baron Zachareth

Splig

Valyndra

Plague Worm - This is kind of a rough draft of what were aiming for on the plague worms

Not a whole lot to caption for these but we did enjoy painting the Lieutenants quite a lot Even if our paintings can be a simple reference of color schemes we are happy!

Hope you enjoyed !

**EDIT #3**

Hi guys

This will likely be my last update for the thread. I just wanted to share my first painted hero. I'm very happy with how she turned out.

Roganna The Shade

Anyway, I think that concludes our painted miniatures thread. Thanks for following if you have been and hope everyone enjoyed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Descent 2e Miniature Painting
Admittedly, I'm a novice mini painter as well, so feel free to disregard.

That said, it's hard to tell from the pictures - did you do any dry brushing or other highlighting with these? If not, they might benefit from that to help pull out some of the detail a bit more. Hard to do after you've already washed, but you might consider it for the next ones you do.

The only other thing I noticed was that the metallic looking rags on the zombies look kind of weird. That and they look like they are wearing the remains of hoodies and sweatpants, but that's the mini design more than your painting.

You've made a good start! Keep it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
Looks neat

Have you heard of "drybrushing"? I suggest you look it up. Those spiders would benefit a lot from light drybrushing with some grey. It's super easy way to bring more definition to sculpted detail like their hairy backs. Citadel sells "dry" paints but those aren't necessary. Any unthinned paint does the job.

There's nothing wrong with doing just a simple basecoat + wash, it's super easy and as you say looks alright, which is miles away better than bare plastic. However. If you're going to do that take it into consideration when choosing your colours. Dark brown wash (such as Agrax Earthshade) darkens everything. To compensate for that you might want to use paints that are lighter than you want your end result to be. I don't think those zombies look too dark but it's something to keep in mind for future.

Consider adding in some details if you have good brushes and a steady hand. Eyes for spiders, eyes/teeth for zombies etc.. Little bits like that really bring the model to life. If you do those at the basecoat step it doesn't even matter if you spill some onto other areas, as you can just clean up with previously used colours.

I always thin my paints. Yours look a bit thick at parts, but I guess it's not too noticeable at table distance. Still, it's something you might want to experiment with.

I hope you're having fun. Keep painting and don't be afraid to experiment different products and techniques if that seems fun to you. And post the rest when those get done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
Snardo wrote:
That said, it's hard to tell from the pictures - did you do any dry brushing or other highlighting with these? If not, they might benefit from that to help pull out some of the detail a bit more. Hard to do after you've already washed, but you might consider it for the next ones you do.

Actually there's nothing wrong with doing your highlights, whether drybrush or "properly", after a wash. In fact you might even want to alternate between several wash and drybrush layers depending on the look you're after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
Snardo wrote:

did you do any dry brushing or other highlighting with these?

The only other thing I noticed was that the metallic looking rags on the zombies look kind of weird. That and they look like they are wearing the remains of hoodies and sweatpants

Thanks for the advice ! We didn't do any dry brushing but you are right we should consider it on these. I also agree on the pant colors matching the shirts. Going to change that tonight I just really wanted to see if other folks thought it looked strange

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
Nekku wrote:
Looks neat

Have you heard of "drybrushing"? I suggest you look it up. Those spiders would benefit a lot from light drybrushing with some grey. It's super easy way to bring more definition to sculpted detail like their hairy backs. Citadel sells "dry" paints but those aren't necessary. Any unthinned paint does the job.

100% agree, the spiders need some dry brushing and added details. We were discussing adding some different colors to them and painting on the eyes is a must. Fangs will get some changes on them as well. I will do some good research on the dry brushing and see if we can't do some of that on the spiders and zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juri Mäkinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the zombies are fine like that. Consentrate on the spiders.

Gently drybrush the backs of the spiders. Dip the brush into paint and then wipe it clean on a newspaper or something. Then when it looks like the paint does not stick on the paper anymore, brush the spiders. It'll look really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
Updated thread with some new miniatures !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
Pumping those out like a machine! Don't look too bad either.

What was your issue with drybrushing? If you got paint in the recesses you should remove more paint from it. If you didn't get any sort of effect you may have used too similar colours. I'd suggest you try it in the future. It's easy once you get it and is a useful technique to know. Particularly with fur.

That said it's not something I use too often. There's other ways to highlight. Which is actually my biggest point of feedback. You might want to look at doing some highlights, drybrushing or otherwise. As is your models look a bit flat. Ideally there'd be some dark colour in the cracks, folds and other 'low' parts of the figure, lighter colour on the edges, tops of the folds and other 'high' parts, and some mid tone colour in-between those. Even when crudely painted this shift in colours creates a pleasing effect when viewed on the table.

Fastest way to achieve this would be to paint with light colours and give it a darker wash. For a generally better looking end result you want to use a seperate dark, mid and highlight colour (potentially multiple shade and highlight colours if you want to get artistic). There's loads of ways to do this. Start dark and 'layer' lighter colours on top. Start with a midtone and add dark washes and light highlights. Start white and add successively darker washes.

Thought most importantly, do what you like and have fun. I'm sure you agree that your game already looks loads better than it did before you started painting.

edit:

I especially love what you did with spiders' legs. Really livens it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
Thanks for the great feedback I did present the option of layering colors but it seems we both came to the agreement that we are pleased with the overall look of the models especially compared to the basic set. Although we do have a few more to paint and will be getting additional expansion packs in the near future along with some monster packs for variety so that gives us the option to do the layering on those units. Although I have to stress we do have a limited paint supply when it comes to colors and washes. We have purchased some flesh tone and white but opted not to buy all the different shade colors as it can really add up fast

I have half a dozen lieutenants to paint as well along with the hero mini's. We'll see how bold we get with those ones. Our biggest concern is spending time on units and having to strip them down again ( not sure how to do that yet ).

As for the spiders, I agree completely with the added details as it really improved the looks. Its tough to see but on the spider to the far left I actually dry brushed it as a tester and wasn't sure about the end result so we decided not to go through with the rest. You can see on the leg joints, feelers fangs specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
You can get good results with just mixing your colours, depending on what you're after. Owning five shades of blue is convenience more than anything else. Adding white to lighten a colour and black to darken is pretty easy, though they're not always the best picks and can dull colours down in large enough quantities. You can look up "colour theory" if that interests you.

I don't know what brand you're using but Citadel is pretty expensive far as minis paints go. Vallejo and Army Painter are a bit cheaper but just as easy to find at least where I live. You might have other brands available. Still expensive per ml, but I buy few pots at a time so it doesn't feel expensive. But yeah that adds up if it's an issue.

But as I said, bit of mixing goes a long way if you want to be frugal. Either way, happy painting as they say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Having just started on this particular hobby this might not be welcome advice, but if you want to practice without a lot of expense, go to your local dollar store, pick up some of their acrylics and a few nail polish bottles. Nail polish dries pretty fast and doesn't come off with casual scratching.

Then you can try out different techniques and see what works for you, mix paints to get the shade you want without worrying too much about how much it's draining your wallet. When you're ready, use the expensive stuff

Amount I spent on professional mini paints: 0.00
Number of dollar store paints: 7, cost: under $10, primary colours with a light tan, green, black, white. I can mix whatever I need to make other shades and if I like the result, I got some Mod Podge from the same store as a sealer that probably isn't very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kramar
United States
flag msg tools
I'm also a beginner painter and paint pretty much at the same level as you - maybe a bit worse. However, with minimal investment of time and money you can make them look a lot better by finishing the job with the dip method and then spraying a matte sealer on to remove the glossiness. It makes a huge difference in bringing out the detail of the model and takes about 20 seconds per mini if you are doing them in batches.

The link pretty much gives you all the instructions and products you need to do it, but there are other products to use for the dip (I think Army Painter has one, but I have never used it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
Nekku wrote:
You can get good results with just mixing your colours, depending on what you're after. Owning five shades of blue is convenience more than anything else. Adding white to lighten a colour and black to darken is pretty easy, though they're not always the best picks and can dull colours down in large enough quantities. You can look up "colour theory" if that interests you.

I don't know what brand you're using but Citadel is pretty expensive far as minis paints go. Vallejo and Army Painter are a bit cheaper but just as easy to find at least where I live. You might have other brands available. Still expensive per ml, but I buy few pots at a time so it doesn't feel expensive. But yeah that adds up if it's an issue.

But as I said, bit of mixing goes a long way if you want to be frugal. Either way, happy painting as they say

Yeah we have mixed a few of the colours ourself and they turned out pretty decent I think where we are mostly out of luck is with the different colors of washes. We are using the Citadel paints which are about $5.00 CDN per small pot and $7.00 for large ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
Kramar wrote:
I'm also a beginner painter and paint pretty much at the same level as you - maybe a bit worse. However, with minimal investment of time and money you can make them look a lot better by finishing the job with the dip method and then spraying a matte sealer on to remove the glossiness. It makes a huge difference in bringing out the detail of the model and takes about 20 seconds per mini if you are doing them in batches.

The link pretty much gives you all the instructions and products you need to do it, but there are other products to use for the dip (I think Army Painter has one, but I have never used it.)

We use Agrax Earthshade for the wash on our units. Might be tough to see in the lighting on the pictures but I agree a good wash in the creases really brings out the details !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
Updated with a few Lieutenants !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
msg tools
Final update !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.