Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne» Forums » Rules

Subject: A question about a discussion for the truce outcome. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sunghwan Kim
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "If nothing changes hand.." mean when a truce outcome?

Do we have to pick at least one hostage from opponent's hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means that neither player takes anything from the other, i.e. the truce negotiations failed, and the two active players did not reach an agreement.

It doesn't have to be a hostage "changing hands"*, it would be sufficient if even 1 power from one of the leaders were transferred to the other for the truce to be "successful" and not cause a loss for both sides.

In fact, since even exchanges are explicitly allowed, the two active players could agree to each give the other just 1 power - resulting in a net gain of zero for both, but it would still be a successful truce, because 1 power "changed hands" (both ways).

One thing I'm not sure about tho: If one active player doesn't have any power on his leader sheet, can they still agree that the other gives him 1 power, and he then gives that same power token back for the exchange? I would say no, but I'm not sure.

* "Hands" does not refer to the players' hands of house cards here, it just means what the players "own".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
I belive the spirit of the rules is that the exchange would happen simultaneously, so the person without a power to offer would not be able to give back the power that is offered to them as part of the trade.

Be clear that trades do not have to work both ways. A successful trade negotiation can sometimes be entirely one-sided, it's just about both players agreeing. The only hard rule is that something has to change hands from the list of valid tradeable items in the rulebook - you can't both agree to trade nothing and count that as a successful trade deal.

You could negotiate that Player A gives Player B 1 power, and Player A gets nothing in return. As long as both A and B agree then that is a successful trade deal. Given the alternative (that both players suffer the penalties for a loss) sometimes it's preferable to accept a crappy deal than to refuse one.

Also remember that trades do not have to be like-for-like deals. You could offer to give the other player a hostage in return for them giving you 3 power. I've personally done deals where I've allowed people to spread influence to me but also give me 3 power as a "tax" for doing so, just to avoid losing half of the power from one of my characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunghwan Kim
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys. Very helpful with specific examples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
In fact, since even exchanges are explicitly allowed, the two active players could agree to each give the other just 1 power - resulting in a net gain of zero for both, but it would still be a successful truce, because 1 power "changed hands" (both ways).

I'd argue that this goes against the intention of the rules. The net effect is the same as no exchange happening which means that except in the odd situation where one leader has no power you can always avoid a failed truce which seems wrong to me.

I'd say at least 1 player must give something up for it to be a successful truce. In the example above, nothing is lost or gained by either player. They come out exactly the same. Any other exchange results in a kind of progress or gain for at least one of the participants.

Quote:
The players cannot agree to do nothing as a deal – either a card
or a base must change hands for a deal to be successful.

from Cosmic Encounter rules page 10

The power exchange is a tack on for Iron Throne but the intent is clear here where there is no soft option. I'm guessing the designers didn't envisage the kind of trade you are suggesting in the same way that the Settlers designers didn't expect anyone to trade a sheep for a sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
In Cosmic Encounter, it's been a long standing rule that you can simply swap cards 1 for 1 if you want. Is it useless? Often, but not always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only one player can receive power from the other player as part of a truce. Thanks for the question!
Regards,
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Dane Beltrami
Game Developer

The wording actually makes it clear if you re read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, what's the exact wording?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
• Removing up to three power from one active player’s leader sheet and placing it on the leader sheet of the other active player.

So it's up to 3 from one to the other not from both. It doesn't specify that for the other possible exchanges so that was their intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could agree to give each other a hostage, then release them at start of next turn. Not binding, of course, and both sides net additional cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vengeanz Vengeful
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
However,
if nothing changes hands, all players on both sides, including
supporters, lose the encounter and suffer penalties."
Are you nuts?!!!? If you change 1 power for 1 it's the same like not doing anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.