Hide
12 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Gary Grigsby's War in the East - Soviet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Someone Anybody
msg tools
Hello, I was thinking of downloading this video game. I noticed that the steam version is over 20 dollars more than the version that's downloadable from martix games website? Any reason for the difference. Is the matrix site uploading the latest version the numbers seem different . . . or do they offer a patch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy it from Matrix Games you can register the serial key with them and get a Steam key for free. So you can have both an offline version and a Steam version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Someone Anybody
msg tools
Thanks for the info Cameron, good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Believe the Matrix version is cheaper as they have their winter sale on. Not sure why thy didn't extend it to the steam stuff as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to add, what a great game it is.

I am currently playing it, and I can't stress enough how enjoyable this is. I caan get my FITE/SE fix and then some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrix has their winter sale going on. It's a great deal at that price.

It's also got a learning curve like a cliff, but it's great. One of my favorite war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drfaustus83 wrote:
Believe the Matrix version is cheaper as they have their winter sale on. Not sure why thy didn't extend it to the steam stuff as well.

They did briefly, for a few days. I bought a few games, and had a few more in mind, and then the steam sale stopped, and I haven't bothered following up on the matrix site...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand if is complex and will take some time, but overall is it a playable monster? By that I mean how many units do you have to move each turn? 100, 200, more? I often shied away as I worried about 200 stacks of four that the player would have to deal with each and every turn. Hopefully I am wrong? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

Here is a youtube vid on it:

Playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHX61pof6zg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War in the East is an impressive monster of a wargame, but you might want to know that they're currently working on War in the East 2, which will bring the engine up to the considerably more advanced standards of the first game's sequel, GG's War in the West.

WITE2 might still be a year or more away, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YOu can do a turn in an hour easy, it is easy to get started. You will learn on the job more or less. Somethings can be assigned to the ai (Air).

To master the game might take awhile, I would do Barbarrossa as the Axis, play a few turns, see what I did wrong and start again. After 3 or 4 starts I felt confident enough to start and continue the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldwargamer wrote:
YOu can do a turn in an hour easy, it is easy to get started. You will learn on the job more or less. Somethings can be assigned to the ai (Air).

To master the game might take awhile, I would do Barbarrossa as the Axis, play a few turns, see what I did wrong and start again. After 3 or 4 starts I felt confident enough to start and continue the campaign.

I can usually do a turn of the Operation Typhoon or Road to Moscow scenarios in about 20 minutes, or Roads to Leningrad in about 10 minutes. There's plenty of scenarios, so you don't have to play the full campaign, not to mention you can start the campaign at whatever year you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.