Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the subject hints on I am looking for a game that is either solo or can be played solo where you race angainst an AI opponent or try and get more victory points than it by the end of the game. I am not looking for a game where i am trying to defeat the AI (life totals) but rather out last it and be better than it. I really like Lewis and Clark where the AI player inches forward and you can set the difficult level by starting the opponent on a further space. I have also recently seen snippets of the solo play for imperial settlers and (correct me if im wrong and this is how solo play works) but it would be exactly what im looking for if the AI deck destroyed your buildings and competed with you for the most victory points (like ever time it destroys a building it gains Vp and every card turned over has VPs on it). I also love engine building so a race or VP challenge while the AI's engine progressivly got better would be great but idk and i am up for researching any suggestions. THANKS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game comes to mind. The AI is fairly rudimentary and it doesn't directly interact with you. But you do sort-of race against it for points. At the end of each round you compare your score to the AI and if you are ever behind, you automatically lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Lagoon: Land of Druids would fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that you have Roll for the Galaxy in your collection.

Have you tried the solo variant by universeman?
Unofficial Solitaire Rules for Roll for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While a lot of people like Imperial Settlers' solo mode, I would actually not get it if you are looking for an AI that races/competes with you. Imperial Settlers' AI does not build up its own tableau, instead it is simply a stack of cards that determines what buildings of yours it razes. You should also win 95% of the time, so it is much more a beat your own high score (from experience from base game, possibly changed in expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chhay
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Viticulture Essential Edition fit your criteria?
The automa in solo mode is a deck of cards that simulate a dummy player by blocking action spaces every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
For a true racing game (L&C is barely a race game), for the new cycling game Flamme Rouge, the designer posted official solo rules where race against 2 opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilds of London has an interesting AI. I've been very pleased with it.

The AI available Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm that can be used in the base is excellent.

Bruno Cathala published solo rules for Five Tribes that has a dice drive AI that really forces you to alter your plans to avoid one of the losing conditions.

Fleet: Arctic Bounty expands the base game with, among other things, two bots you compete against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one mentioned Scythe, yet?
Somewhat similar to RftG's 'robot', you play against an 'automa' represented by a deck of cards that define its actions. It supports four difficulty levels that mostly determine how fast the automa reaches the end game condition (i.e. earning 6 stars).

Ultimately, it's a race to build a more efficient engine and score the most victory points once the game ends, i.e. exactly what you're looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game comes to mind. The AI is fairly rudimentary and it doesn't directly interact with you. But you do sort-of race against it for points. At the end of each round you compare your score to the AI and if you are ever behind, you automatically lose.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
51st State: Master Set does this out of the box.

I've discovered that with this game, depending on which faction I pick those rules can be a bit too easy. If you find the rulebook solo mode too easy for you as well, they have additional solo rules for the game on their website. Furthermore, people have suggested in the game forum some tweaks to the rulebook solo mode to make it more challenging if you need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your replies I have a lot of researching ahead of me but all of the opinions have been much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I have that match your criteria are:

With official solo variants:

Multiuniversum
Fleet: Arctic Bounty
Luna
Peloponnes Card Game
Phalanxx
Tesla vs. Edison: Powering Up!
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Tiny Epic Western

With BGG user created variants:

Valley of the Kings: Afterlife (or any other in the series)
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Helionox: The Last Sunset

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although already mentioned both Viticulture Essential Edition and Scythe were games that immediately came mind when I read your subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do not mind PnP: take a look at Raid on St. Nazaire.. It is a solitaire war game, where you as the British commandos try to damage the harbour basins at St. Nazaire as best as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claudio has a great list already. Gonna put Nationsout there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Backman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer

If you just want a solo game to breeze off, light on rules and fast to finish this might be it: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22359/steel-wolves-germa....

Estimated playing time: 3000 minutes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Greenaway
United Kingdom
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please excuse my intervention as I am very recently new to the board game scene but I do have several suggestions that haven't yet been mentioned that may interest you.
Firstly might I suggest Jamaica, It's strictly a pirate racing game, very light, with a beautiful production and a solo method of play vs a ghost ship. Take a look at the video tutorials that the game producers have so kindly provided if you think this might interest you.

I also have two other suggestions which might appeal.
Friday is a solo game vs an Ai which gets progressively harder as you complete the challenges in each level. This really is a tough little game to get to grips with as a new board gamer but it has its own unique way of setting the difficulty. It has some card draughting too which makes the game very challenging.

Lastly I would suggest a fantasy flight card game by the name of Death Angel : Space Hulk Strictly it's not a racing game , but As the commander of a group of Space Hulks you are faced with the challenges and tasks that come from battling your way out of an access shaft, It does at times feel like you are racing to get to the end before anymore Tyranid warriors come at you. This is also card based and comes with solo gameplay, based on the warhammer 40k genre and really challenges you. I was very surprised at how thematic a card game could be but what do I know.

Anyway, I hope that my suggestions might be suitable.

Good luck and I hope you post whatever you decide upon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redbuddha wrote:

Firstly might I suggest Jamaica, It's strictly a pirate racing game, very light, with a beautiful production and a solo method of play vs a ghost ship. Take a look at the video tutorials that the game producers have so kindly provided if you think this might interest you.
Hmm. I didn't know Jamaica had a good solo variant. Will have to check that out. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
redbuddha wrote:

Hmm. I didn't know Jamaica had a good solo variant. Will have to check that out. Thanks

Can someone please post a link to the solo variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Greenaway
United Kingdom
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tutorial videos

Tutorial videos on how to play the game. Sorry it's not solo and the ghost ship. It's two players and the Ghost ship. I hope it works out all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thread. I play all my games solo and love a nice stressful race vs AI. Here are some games I enjoy very much:

Tavarua is a surfing game with an official variant to play from 1-3 AI surfers

Flamme Rouge is a cycling game with 2 AI. Leader 1: Hell of the North is a deeper racing simulation that also has fan made solo variants (aka peleton expansion by Gubban)

Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm is a solo game

Merchants & Marauders has a fan made solo expansion that has a lot of fans

All the COIN games and Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?

Rallyman is an amazing game that can be played with multiple cars or against friends from around the world here on BGG or on rallyman.fr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.