Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Starting a brand-new game and the prologue [poll] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules up to the first settlement phase, and I understand from comments elsewhere that there is an established method of setting up second and successive settlements should the first one fail.

My question is how people set up a brand new game with one experienced player and one or more people new to the game (or concurrent core game settlements).

I expect a majority of answers will be along the lines of "play it however you like", but I figure a poll won't hurt.

*Please note that "first card in AI deck/lion deck" is intended to mean "first card in AI deck AND first card in Hit Location deck"*

Poll
1. How do you play the intro fight with new players?
Exactly as described in the rules (First card in lion deck is fixed, first attack by survivors does *not* archive a founders stone)
Approximately as described in the rules (First card in lion deck is fixed, but actions are not scripted)
Random AI deck
Some other setup
2. How do you play the first fight with experienced players, or solo (for concurrent campaigns, for example)?
Exactly as described in the rules
First card in AI deck is fixed
Random AI deck
Some other setup
Skip it and set up according to the rules for a new settlement after a failed one
Skip it and use some other setup
      62 answers
Poll created by Benkyo

I ask because a quick skim of the rules seemed to indicate that the loaded lion deck(s) is/are there so the rules can flow according to the script. It seems to me that the only option the rules provide is to follow the script slavishly. Failing that, I'd be tempted to set up randomly. However, the majority of comments I've stumbled across on the internet seem to indicate that people are taking the +1 strength bonus as a given, but not following the rulebook script. Since I've never played the game, there may well be good reasons for this, but I am unaware of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Starting a brand-new game and the prologue
We generally use the standard setup but let folks play as they want from there (actually, I didn't even realize the first FS doesn't archive on turn 1!)

I see no reason not to do the prologue, if the (other) players are new, it's a good training scenario, if they're not, it tends to go fairly quickly (And fighting the lion without 2 particular standard pieces of equipment everyone inevitably builds ASAP is good for a little surprise now and then, I once actually managed to get the +1 strength guy killed in the intro!)

I've played that intro about... 5 or 6 times now? If I ever get sick and tired of it, I'd probably just do a roll to see if anyone gets killed (something like 1 roll per survivor, killed on a 1, maybe on a 1-2, then resolve the end of combat accordingly).

Apart from that, it's a nice bit of ritual to start the game with a quick and easy fight and see what resources you start out with. And especially considering that pretty much no matter what, you're going to spend at least 2 or 3 years fighting lions and nothing else (there are alternative options, especially if you add expansions, but IMO they're usually not something you want to start hunting immediately), having 1 extra really doesn't make that much of a difference to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
We generally use the standard setup but let folks play as they want from there (actually, I didn't even realize the first FS doesn't archive on turn 1!)

I think my wording was unclear here. From memory, the prologue has a survivor perform a standard attack on the lion, and the lion does a claw attack on a survivor. My point is that, knowing the fixed setup, it seems obvious that a player would want to archive a founders stone as their first action, but the tutorial script does not allow for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

I think my wording was unclear here. From memory, the prologue has a survivor perform a standard attack on the lion, and the lion does a claw attack on a survivor. My point is that, knowing the fixed setup, it seems obvious that a player would want to archive a founders stone as their first action, but the tutorial script does not allow for this.

Ah, I see, alright then, yeah we always do the founding stone at this point, personally I'm not 100% confident it's the best move (there are some situations where a guaranteed crit can be insanely good, arguably exploits of the way some of the AI decks work, damn useful at any rate), but a guaranteed +1 strength is nice too, at game start at least, and there's still 3 more FS' around after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Stinchcombe
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I've played through quite a few campaigns now, so the repetitious nature of the opening has begun to wear at me.

With newbies: We run the Prologue Lion with the pre-set deck, but generally not with the pre-set order or opening act. Makes for a more dynamic fight but still remains 'easy mode' for learning.

With Vets: We roll on the game over table, ignoring the extra benefits from #of dead settlements (obviously). The fight is a foregone conclusion at this point, and the whole first settlement phase exists almost entirely to teach, I've found the results are actually much more dynamic than playing the fight out.

In a game about difficulty and possible death in even the easiest situations I can see why people might play the prologue every time, but the tedium isn't worth the time spent, and the game over table is a perfectly good replacemen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sharp
Australia
flag msg tools
What page of the rule book does it state you cannot use the founding stone on your first hit? I can't find it anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Shuvaev
Russia
St.Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP is probably referring to the page 30.
Quote:
Move a survivor adjacent to the White Lion to attack.

Quote:
Once adjacent to the monster, spend your activation to attack with the Founding Stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lokipei wrote:
What page of the rule book does it state you cannot use the founding stone on your first hit? I can't find it anywhere.

Page 30: Move a survivor adjacent > spend your Z to attack with the Founding Stone! > Roll 2d10 to attack.

If you don't do this as instructed, then why follow the deck setup with the guaranteed first card draws? It seems you either follow the tutorial or you don't, but a lot of people play a mix - i.e. with knowledge of the first cards in each deck, but without following the instructions for the first survivor attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sharp
Australia
flag msg tools

My interpretation of that is that it still gives you the option to attack with it or fling it but doesn't necessarily say you can't fling it, even if you follow steps word for word. However having said that it is cheating a little bit to get the 1 strength as the desk is stacked for teaching new players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Welter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, after the prologue fight, the rules seem to require that you spend your first three endeavors creating specific locations, but I believe it is worded kind of vaguely as to whether or not you are required to do like. Something like "if you have enough endeavors you should use them to build x, y, and z". I assumed that was a requirement rather than a suggestion (since that isn't what I wanted to do, and any unclear rules have to be interpreted in the way that is worst for the players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.