Subject: Qualifications of a POTUS: your top 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
After wondering what support or different viewpoint Melania will offer Donald when he gets to be POTUS - (no, no, that's not what I meant) - I began to wonder about what qualifications would be good for a POTUS and spouse (and no, we're not so crazy as to let a career single be President, I think - Trumpie clearly yes, a career single no) to have.

What's the top 6 on your list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Being sane and stable is probably #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Top 6
China is being run at the top level by people with engineering qualifications.

I think the spouse should be have qualifications and experience overseeing very large engineering projects. At the required level they will also have gained high level business and financial experience in an international context.

1. Experience and demonstrated reliability in high level business - POTUS or spouse.

2. Developed sense of global relations - POTUS

3. Political experience - the POTUS needs extensive political experience - regional and national.

4. A sense of the prestige and esteem of the office and knowledge of how to maintain it - POTUS needs.

5. Experience and skill at delegating and judging and choosing advisors - POTUS and spouse both require this.

6. Maintain a marriage and have brought up children - POTUS and spouse. Maximum of one divorce. Unable to manage a marriage and children? But you can run a country?

My understanding of G.W.B., B.O. and D.T. scored on these priorities (1 point, 0.5 points or 0 points on each):
G.W.B. = 3.5
B.O. = 4.5
D.T. = 1.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
A single person can't be president?

Flag on that play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
Uses the word "pussy" without apology.

President Flynt declines your first pleading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
China is being run at the top level by people with engineering qualifications.

I think the spouse should be have qualifications and experience overseeing very large engineering projects. At the required level they will also have gained high level business and financial experience in an international context.

1. Experience and demonstrated reliability in high level business - POTUS or spouse.

2. Developed sense of global relations - POTUS

3. Political experience - the POTUS needs extensive political experience - regional and national.

4. A sense of the prestige and esteem of the office and knowledge of how to maintain it - POTUS needs.

5. Experience and skill at delegating and judging and choosing advisors - POTUS and spouse both require this.

6. Maintain a marriage and have brought up children - POTUS and spouse. Maximum of one divorce. Unable to manage a marriage and children? But you can run a country?

My understanding of G.W.B., B.O. and D.T. scored on these priorities (1 point, 0.5 points or 0 points on each):
G.W.B. = 3.5
B.O. = 4.5
D.T. = 1.5

WTF? BO gets 4.5? Let's break it down -

#1 = 0 because he had and still has zero experience at any level of biz

#2 - .05 because he draws breath and can read. but zero experience

#3 - .05 local politics and truncated do-nothing senate term

#4 - 1

#5 - 0 he never had an advisor to pick he was picked to run by others

#6 - .05 This one is irrelevant. BC married once but fucked hundreds after marriage. I'm giving all three a .5 on this because we don't even know yet that Michele Obama is actually a woman.

So Obama rates a score of 2.5 and GWB comes in at 5.5 and DT at 4.5, hell BC cores a solid 5 because they all get a half point for the stupid marriage question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect a president to be an intellectual. I don't want an average Joe as president. I want the best of us as president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I score B.O., based on my understanding, like this
1. 0
2. 1
3. 1
4. 1
5. 0.5
6. 1

= 4.5

But I'm no USA expert.

on 6.
I see marriage and child raising as one of the few somewhat reliable insights into what sort of an arsehole a candidate is.

If they are lack the people skills to maintain a marriage then I loose confidence in their ability to select good partners and relate intimately to other humans.

If they haven't done child raising then again I lose confidence in their ability to care for humans weaker than themselves and sacrifice their sleep and recreation time for the good of others. I think they are much more likely to be a selfish shit. So they'd have a long hard road before they'd get my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
1: personal integrity / 2: charisma and respectful demeanor / 3: experience affecting positive change in politics (ie ability to work with and against political opponents) / 4: not an ideologue / 5: rationality / 6: knowledge of history and law (esp international politics)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
i dont care about the spouse at all - in fact a person without a family could probably get more things done ie i expect the president to completely dedicate 4 or 8 years of his/her life to the country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
single sentences wrote:
i dont care about the spouse at all - in fact a person without a family could probably get more things done ie i expect the president to completely dedicate 4 or 8 years of his/her life to the country

That's a long walk solo through risky and very unfriendly terrain on the interpersonal front.

Without them having someone intimate and close-by I wouldn't send someone on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Pinook wrote:
That's a long walk solo through risky and very unfriendly terrain on the interpersonal front.

Without them having someone intimate and close-by I wouldn't send someone on it.

im not saying have no social life but parenthood/marriage carry with it a lot of time-consuming obligations - looking at trump though it seems his relationship to his family is purely business-oriented (with his kids running his company and melania as a lifeless object to promote his brand) so it might work that way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
single sentences wrote:
Pinook wrote:

im not saying have no social life but parenthood/marriage carry with it a lot of time-consuming obligations - looking at trump though it seems his relationship to his family is purely business-oriented (with his kids running his company and melania as a lifeless object to promote his brand) so it might work that way

I'm pointing at what I perceive as a need for an intimate team to perform well in such an environment.

I'd think that the increased resilience that (I think but can't point you at) research shows that at least married men have over single men is also well worth the costs of marriages and families. This benefit of intimate partnering extends to physical and mental health - both requirements for a POTUS.

Some hunter-gathers used to say something-like, in their own language, "Travel fast, go alone. Travel far, go with company".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
1. Previous, successful experience as a chief executive officer for a US state (i.e. governor)

2. Experience as a legislator on any level (city, county, school board, state, federal)

3. Extensive knowledge of the Constitution and its various Amendments.

4. Educated (though degree is optional)

5. Grasp of real-world economics, on many levels (local, regional, national, global)

6. A thorough understanding of the revolutionary nature of US government, economy, and culture, and a desire to continue the revolution.

Don't care about spouse, children, sexual history, etc. No criminal record, of course, but other than that, who am I to judge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
talking like this should definitely disqualify you from the office of potus

be more awkward - you cant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
single sentences wrote:
talking like this should definitely disqualify you from the office of potus

be more awkward - you cant

Are you kidding? That's the first thing Cruz has said I agree with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
Are you kidding? That's the first thing Cruz has said I agree with.

im was referring to the way he talks - weird as fuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.