Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

In preparation for lots of gaming with the extended family at Christmas, I'm looking for a new game.

The absolute favorite game for everyone is Ticket to Ride, and we have several versions, but it's starting to be overplayed. They also adore Settlers of Catan which we played a lot in the mid 1990's, to the point where I can't play it anymore (but I would be opening to adding an expansion if there is one that would freshen it up...) The other Go To games are Bohnanza, Code Names, Times Up Title Recall, and Dixit, but again, we're a little burned out on these, and I would like to find a new strategy game rather than another party game.

I'm looking for a gateway game that has some strategy and is easy to pick up the rules and remember them, especially for my aging parents who adore playing games, but struggle with overly complex rules.

Check out my collection if you like: I've tried probably 30 of my lighter, social deduction, and party games with our extended family gaming sessions, to varying degrees of success. For example: they liked Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Qwirkle, and Sheriff of Nottingham. They found New York 1901, Stone Age, and Lords of Waterdeep to be too complicated. Flick Em Up bored them. I've ruled out Carcassone and Survive Escape from Atlantis because I'm not that fond of them.

What are your favorite Gateway strategy games to introduce to new players that you actually enjoy playing repeatedly?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Check out Medici It's a bidding game by Knizia that plays up to six; it's simple to explain, but there's a nice amount of things to consider. There's also a new edition out, so it should be readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D A
United States
flag msg tools
Peloponnes plays up to 8 with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica
Colt Express
7 Wonders
Sushi Go Party!
Mission: Red Planet
Dice Town + Extension
Las Vegas + Boulevard
Libertalia
Railways of the World
Room 25
Steampunk Rally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paris Connection
Rise of Augustus
Ricochet Robots
King Up!
Citadels
Captain Sonar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you own Coup (have you tried it's expansion Coup: Reformation - worth getting IMO). I find it goes down well with a 5-8 player group.

Simple rules that are quick to learn, enough strategy to draw people and plenty of replayability as your group/metagame changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexagonal Crank
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) - One of those great games that scales to 6 without missing a beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
+1 for Medici and Augustus.

TransAmerica is another very light 'train' game, best with 6.

Ave Caesar is a good racing game that scales well, but may be hard to find a copy.

If you're interested in card games these are all very good:

6 Nimmt! / Category 5 / Slide 5
Clubs
Linko (max 5 players)
Parade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Las Vegas
Acquire
Scotland Yard (taking turns being Mister X)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be a third voice for Medici. Perfect for six, interesting and complex decisions, but simple enough that my ten-year-old can play. Give it a try.

Captain Sonar is also good with six. It straddles the strategy/party line really well.

I'd highly recommend Treasure Hunter over 7 Wonders. It's got the same level of drafting fun without the iconography that makes 7 Wonders hard for non-gamers to grok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham. Non-gamers like it because it doesn't seem like a set of rules to them, but rather an interactive bluffing game. But the points/penalties/bribes provide an enriching experience for gamers.

The artwork and colors are nice, and it seems to aesthetically pull people of all ages in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Las Vegas
- Unnamed Object
- 7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter Premium
For Sale
Elfenroads
Mysterium
TransAmerica
Citadels
Diamonds
Sushi Go Party!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Evolution plays up to six and I think walks that line of having some complexity and strategy but not TOO much complexity.

How in the world has no one mentioned Camel Up yet?!? This is almost a party game because there is typically some cheering and groaning, but more of a board game feel. Very simple rules. Good amount of luck mixed with strategy so good for company with varied skill levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition

The people I know (gamer and not) seem to pick this up pretty quickly and the theme is easy to sell. Especially if you have players bring a bottle of wine to share with the group. We have our own little wine tastings while playing.

I'm not sure if it would be too complex so I recommend watching a video to see if you think it would make a good match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Eggs and Empires
Tsuro
Parade
Cockroach Poker

+1 to Evolution

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party!
Between Two Cities
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strong recommendation for Sushi Go Party!. Scales super well, highly variable (for longevity), cute theme, good mix of ease of play and depth. I like this better than Treasure Hunter for gateway weight drafting games, but they're both excellent and it depends on your taste. Treasure Hunters is a bit more aggressive, because you're competing for both first and last place you can get screwed and end a turn with basically nothing to show for it. Sushi Go is friendlier, in the sense that you can still hate draft and certain setups can let you do mean things but you'll always have whatever you drafted at the end of the round. You'll never end a round emptyhanded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
you can try Catan: Cities & Knights or King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth+The Pillars of the Earth: Expansion Set

Ave Caesar

Viticulture - this was already mentioned, but worth mentioning again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
gardener1817 wrote:
They found ... Stone Age ... to be too complicated.

This constraint does make things tricky though and I should perhaps retracted the viticulture recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speculation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some awesome picks here. I desperately want Pillars of the Earth and the Expansion, but the price point at OOP is just too much for me. I love Viticulture and Tuscany.

Sadly, these are all too complicated for this crowd, but I do love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici looks promising and wasn't on my radar. Seems to hit all the right notes. Will likely pursue that one.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.