17 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Rally rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
rocco vargas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of questions about the Rally mechanics. Does the +1 DRM affect also the attempts of a leader rolling for self-rallying? Can the leader bonus be used for rallying another leader in the same hex? And related to this, can a broken leader stacked with a good order one skip its own self-rallying attempt and try instead to rally under the leadership of the good order one later? Probably minutia but I would like to have it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasen wrote:
A couple of questions about the Rally mechanics. Does the +1 DRM affect also the attempts of a leader rolling for self-rallying? Can the leader bonus be used for rallying another leader in the same hex? And related to this, can a broken leader stacked with a good order one skip its own self-rallying attempt and try instead to rally under the leadership of the good order one later? Probably minutia but I would like to have it right.

Yes, there is a +1 DRM for a leader attempting a self rally.

Yes, a good order can rally another leader in the same hex - no +1 DRM for that.

Yes, usually better to skip the self rally if you have a leader to do the work. Each unit can only make one rally attempt per player turn, so you cannot try to self rally and the try to rally under the leader.

Enjoy,
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rocco vargas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
During my RPh, I usually try to rally the broken leaders in stacks without unbroken leaders first: I then have a more clear idea about which 1 MMC without an unbroken leader I can try to self-rally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rocco vargas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
During my RPh, I usually try to rally the broken leaders in stacks without unbroken leaders first: I then have a more clear idea about which 1 MMC without an unbroken leader I can try to self-rally.

Makes good sense. I must say however that I do not fully get the rational behind the rule stating that only one broken MMC of the attacker can attempt self-rally. Why (from the viewpoint of realism) just one, irrespective of the number of squads in the game? Would it not be more sensible allowing all self-rally attempts applying a penalty? Just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
rocco vargas wrote:
I must say however that I do not fully get the rational behind the rule stating that only one broken MMC of the attacker can attempt self-rally. Why (from the viewpoint of realism) just one, irrespective of the number of squads in the game?

This is just a simple way of allowing a small chance for broken troops to rally without a leader being present. ASL assumes that broken troops will likely never rally without a leader, but it does allow a very slim chance for this to occur, because nothing is ever certain on the battlefield at this scale.

I think that some Campaign Games and "monster" scenarios do allow more than one self-rally attempt per RPh via SSR, acknowledging that with 40-50 squads in play (on each side) self-rally should occur more often than when only 10-15 squads are in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
drasen wrote:
I must say however that I do not fully get the rational behind the rule stating that only one broken MMC of the attacker can attempt self-rally.

Perhaps to give more reason and importance to planning your routs and rallies. Also to avoid giving 8 morale troops another advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rocco vargas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roundhill wrote:
drasen wrote:
I must say however that I do not fully get the rational behind the rule stating that only one broken MMC of the attacker can attempt self-rally.

Perhaps to give more reason and importance to planning your routs and rallies. Also to avoid giving 8 morale troops another advantage.

But probably in "real life" routs and rallies were not planned
Just trying to be unashamedly controversial. And in the same vein an 8 morale squad definitely should have that rally advantage.

I have no objection of any rule as a game mechanics, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rocco vargas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:

This is just a simple way of allowing a small chance for broken troops to rally without a leader being present. ASL assumes that broken troops will likely never rally without a leader, but it does allow a very slim chance for this to occur, because nothing is ever certain on the battlefield at this scale.

Limiting the possibilities of self-rally simplifies things. However, take into account that the smaller the number of units in one side - the losing side - the larger the chances to restore overall good order, which does not seem right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasen wrote:
from the viewpoint of realism
ASL is more an impressionist, hollywoodian representation of WW2 tactical combat.
Invoking reality rarely helps explain the abstractions of the rules - as most of the time reality arguments can be invoked to annulate others.

The self-rally capability is just there to give some hope for units without leaders - more from a game/fun perspective than from a historical one.

About all elements of the game : factors, terrain, timing, etc. are woven into a sequential game turn, with arbitrary choices (why does an LMG repair only one in six times, why do the results of the IFT correspond to a 2d6 bell curve, etc. ?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The self-rally capability is just there to give some hope for units without leaders - more from a game/fun perspective than from a historical one.
As when they finally rally on the last turn to discover the battle is already determined. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:

Hi Robin and friends all,
I have not played ASL(SK) in a long time but I read the threads to keep the rules as fresh as possible (hope to play it soon again).
Perhaps I'm wrong but IIRC the 1 MMC self rally should be the FIRST attempt in Rph......or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirz wrote:
Perhaps I'm wrong but IIRC the 1 MMC self rally should be the FIRST attempt in Rph......or not?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
RvdH83 wrote:
Qwirz wrote:

Correct.

Specifically, the MMC self-rally has to be the first *MMC* rally attempt; you can attempt to rally leaders before this. The ASLSK rules only imply this, but the full ASL rules state it explicitly (see step 1.23 in the ASL ASOP: "First ATTACKER MMC Rally attempt").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirz wrote:
Robin wrote:

I have not played ASL(SK) in a long time but I read the threads to keep the rules as fresh as possible (hope to play it soon again).
Not the first rally attempt.
It is the first MMC rally attempt.
Any number of SMC may self-rally before that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification!
Important detail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Kemmel
Belgium
flag msg tools
Robin wrote:
Qwirz wrote:
Robin wrote:

Not the first rally attempt.
It is the first MMC rally attempt.
Any number of SMC may self-rally before that.

Hi Robin and others,
I followed this post with much interest the last few days, but still have a question. Just to make 100% sure, I understand the above correctly:

Situation (I am the attacker):
Hex n°1: stack with a broken MMC and a broken Ldr on top
Hex n°2: 1 MMC

RPh:
1. I first succeed in rallying the broken leader in hex n°1
2. I then do the MMC self-rally in hex n°2
3. Only then I am allowed to rally the MMC in hex n°1 under the leader guidance

correct?
cheers,
Lionel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.