Hide
4 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: NEW Player - What to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Alden
msg tools
My son would like to get into this game. Not for organized play or anything, just casual.

Aside from the core set, what should I buy? What would make sense for a great starting set of expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with the CORE set just to learn the game. Once you've got down how to play, pick the deluxe set that focuses on the factions your son likes, and expand from there. If you search online, you can find sample builds that will help you learn the game.

If you aren't concerned about tournament play, you may want to look at getting the data pack "opening moves" sooner rather than later. The card "Jackson Howard" is a very valuable corporation asset that solves the problem of accidentally drawing a bunch of agendas (agenda flooding).

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scotter23 wrote:
My son would like to get into this game. Not for organized play or anything, just casual.

Aside from the core set, what should I buy? What would make sense for a great starting set of expansions?

Honestly, just start with the core set. I've been playing core set only matches with some friends at work for a few weeks, and we're having a great time. The variety and balance of a single core set (12 possible matchups) is HUGE, and there's also plenty of room for deckbuilding (as long as you're only building one corp deck and one runner deck at any given time).

The only thing the core set is lacking is agenda variety--each corp only has 5-6 points of in-faction agendas, so running every neutral agenda is absolutely necessary.

"What Lies Ahead" (the first ever data pack) remedies this by giving each corp three copies of an additional agenda, but that's only if you want to really start tinkering with the corp decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shan Rievan
Singapore
flag msg tools
This is a good read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/wiki/buyingguide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.