Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I'm about to play for the first time and I'm pretty excited. I've set up Dan's 3-map Campaign Variant from C3i magazine Nr 24. (See my setup photo in the images section.)

I'm about to start the invasion turn. But something compelled me to first recheck the setup for the Strongpoints, most of which are at the invasion beaches with 12 around Cherbourg. The campaign scenario setup lists starting locations for 46 Strongpoints, yet there are 60 in the countermix. What have I missed? I think I've read section 18.9 about a dozen times.

Thanks to my wargame OCD the discrepancy is killing me! Please help me maintain my sanity and reconcile the other 14 Strongpoint counters. robot

Thanks very much!
~ Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe my memory fails me on this, but aren't those counters the ones with a hidden strength side, that you're supposed to put out randomly? The extras would then prevent you from being able to deduce what values are left on the board, based on the ones you've already discovered, wouldn't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Maybe my memory fails me on this, but aren't those counters the ones with a hidden strength side, that you're supposed to put out randomly? The extras would then prevent you from being able to deduce what values are left on the board, based on the ones you've already discovered, wouldn't they?

They all have a hidden side. It merely says "Strongpoint" on the front side and the strengtyh on the reverse. There are just a couple that specify a stated strength or max strength for a particular hex. The setup instructions then state "After placing those within required strength limitations, place all remaining Strongpoints, face down, strength unknown to the allied player." It does say there are 4 strength x 15, 3 strength x 15, 2 strength x 8, and 1 strength x 8. So within that limitation the German can decide to put a 1 here, a 3 there, etc. unknown to the Allied player. The allies discover a strongpoint's strength when they attack it.

So I'm beginning to think maybe the additional 14 are just extras in case one or more are lost.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They must be extras. Maybe you can handicap the Allied player by adding more strongpoints to the beach, or the German player by reducing the strength of some. I do notice that there are no extras of 3 and 4 strength, mostly of strength 2 (and two strength 1).

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are extras. I wanted that so that if any become marked or easily ID'd, they can be replaced easily. I always hated when games have counters like that but no fix if one gets lost/marked.

Also yes; variants can easily be created including handicapping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DHolte wrote:
There are extras. I wanted that so that if any become marked or easily ID'd, they can be replaced easily. I always hated when games have counters like that but no fix if one gets lost/marked.

Danny, thank you!! And thank you for this great game and especially your 3-map campaign variant!! One day i plan to give my car the boot out of my garage so I can do the whole 7-map campaign.
Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Perry
France
Lacour
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
DHolte wrote:

Danny, thank you!! And thank you for this great game and especially your 3-map campaign variant!! One day i plan to give my car the boot out of my garage so I can do the whole 7-map campaign.
Cheers.

If you include your neighbour's garage you can lay out all the reinforcements out as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah. The game plus expansion is only 3,080 counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.