Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I use the soldier all the time to re roll threat die once. I seldom use the telepath though I have the feeling that doing so might be a good idea sometimes -- I'm just not sure quite when.

In the larger sense, these two cards represent benefits that you buy with dice while you're playing. In that sense they are probably the ancestors of Carl White's Star Trek the Dice Game "Developments." Developments make a huge difference in that game. It makes me wonder if we should add a few more cards into this game to allow for some future prep while you are playing.

Not sure what the cards should say though. My guess is that they should either be pieces of equipment or perhaps "techniques" both of which should be discards where you get to do some nice thing once. The STTDG persistent developments are probably too unbalancing to this game's fine edge. Some ideas for WHAT they might do:

1. Return 2 (or all) external threats to the bottom of the threat deck
2. Discard 1 external threat
3. Discard 1 internal threat
4. Allow you to turn any of your active dice to any face (or maybe 2 of them)?
5. Clear your threat dice

Anyway what do you think? Too poweful? Or do you have better ideas what the cards might do? I might draw some of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your ideas are fine, I think.

I designed some new cards for my PNP copy during the summer (still need to find some time to take&post pictures) and 4 of them were new rescue missions:

Diplomat: Discard to skip the threat phase this turn [Com][Tac]
Doctor: Discard to reroll all units in the infirmary and make them available [Med][Sci]
Battle Droid: Discard to cause 2 Damage to a single threat [Tech][Tech]
Repair Droid: Discard to get +4 Hull, +4 Shield [Sci][Tech]

(cost of rescue is in [brackets])
I found it is good to limit the number of these, because they tend to pile up, as I usually wait until the situation is really critical and then end up not using most of them. I use a rule that you can have at most 3 rescued helpers at one time (and are able to discard one without effect at any time).
Also, when you draw a rescue mission during the threat phase, you immediately draw a replacement threat, otherwise the game gets too easy with the deck "watered down".

The reason I made these was that there are times when all is calm and the player has no way to 'invest' the resources anticipating the hard times to come. The problem is that your ship/crew literally can't get any better than they are at the very beginning of the game - but I guess this fits the theme, you won't go researching new weapons during a wave of enemies attacking you ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think of this. Very simple, just a way to "save" some dice to use in later turns.

Star Trek the dice game does this. Spend 2 dice in one turn to get them back in a later turn. The Skim thing is a spin on the warp away thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.