Subject: No tiebreaker. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I'm posting another variant instead of doing a review and saying what I don't like. I feel constructive today.

Instead of drawing two random cards to settle tiebreakers do following.

1. Base strength of card wins.
2. Land goes to bottom of land deck. No one wins it, it's replayed later.

I prefere this because it's less random and you can't play a support card to gain a tie and a random draw. You have to get higher then the opponent with support cards to win.

Tomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Man
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Base strength of card wins.

Awarding ties based on original strength would severely weaken cards like peasants, assassin, and archer (when played as support) w/o really doing anything to solve the "you can't play a support card to gain a tie and a random draw." problem -- The player with the highest original strength -- since lowered by other support cards -- could play support cards to the point of a tie knowing that they would automatically win on that tie.

Quote:
Land goes to bottom of land deck. No one wins it, it's replayed later.

That might be a viable variant in a 2 player game, but I'm not sure how well it would work in a multi-player game.

As someone who helped play test a lot of proposed tie breakers, trust me when I say the random draw always came out feeling like the best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I do see your point on the shift in power to the high number cards. I can live without the first point. Still think it's a better idea to move the land card to bottom of the deck and replay it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ruland
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
revisiting this thread, option 2 doesn't seem like a bad idea. flipping to gain a land like Edo is really swingy, and if multiple people play Supplies it's a bit unfair to just randomly get a land for doing nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So after reading, is the designer agreeing that placing the land card at the bottom instead of random card draw is the better method to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ruland
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I think it's a great idea to try. we haven't tested it so I'm not recommending it over the current system, but if someone wants to test it out and report back it would be interesting to hear the results.

one potential downside I can see is that, if you know you aren't going to get a land for a tie, then playing support cards to boost your strength to tie someone will only be a reasonable play in a 2-player game when you want to deny your one opponent a land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.