9 Posts

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » General

Subject: Progress on automated FS Bots? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
I replied to the previous thread on the automated FS Aedui bot, but the thread is somewhat old and buried...

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23452361#23452361

How is work proceeding on this project? I could possibly help, as I have recently worked on some custom code in Vassal to automate part of my own game. It is possible to move pieces around and simulate keystrokes, via custom code, so it should be possible to get the bots to play their own turns and then report back in the chat window.

How much interest would there be in this approach?

As far as I can tell, it would require porting the existing scripts to java, but that should not be too difficult.

Ultimately, this could be used for automated playtesting of even more refined versions of the bots.

Is GMT okay with this sort of automation? I had been under the impression they didn't want Vassal fully automated because they wanted people to buy the physical game - which is perfectly understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this would be awesome!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
So... Not a lot of interest in this, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcuate wrote:
Not having to move the bots' pieces around the map myself would be a nice upgrade, but at this point I'll probably not use the bot either way.
I'm simply moving away from digital board games (even vassal against other humans) and would just set up FS on my table to play against the bots. The flowcharts are easy enough to follow that I would not use a computer to run the bots in that situation.

I have and will be following this and your linked thread, but I doubt I'll use whatever comes out of them beyond a test run. Of course things might change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
No worries, I understand. I partly saw this as a route to better bot flow charts. Possibly the best use would be prior to releasing the game.

I still might go ahead, as it would be an interesting project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Arcuate wrote:

I certainly would use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
Okay, thanks. Nice to know... I would appreciate help with testing it, and it would be nice to know that it would be used. But, in the end, it wouldn't really matter if I was the only one who ever used it. My motivations for making it would be for the challenge and entertainment, just like the motivation for the solo players themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Lawson
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely interested in some form of automation, whether it's just VASSAL telling me which actions to do or (even better) the program running the bot actions for me entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. M.
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mb
Very interested in this! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.