Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Print-on-demand scenarios and campaign play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
Since it costs XP to play a POD scenario you must first start the campaign.

As long as you do not play it as a standalone at which point it doesn't really matter the order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my copy yet, but my understanding is that Rougarou costs xp to play. That is, you pay XP in hopes of gaining some advantage by doing this "side quest" scenario. So you wouldn't do it as your first scenario as you would not be able to afford it yet. It should have rules for running it as a one-off as well though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play it as standalone or insert it as a side mission where you want in the campaign. So far they have an xp cost to pay to play it during the campaign. So, as a side mission, it will have an effect on the rest of your campaign at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play the side quests whenever you want. Each of the ones printed so far has an XP cost to start the side quest, so they can't be done at the start of the campaign.

Minor meta-spoiler for the core campaign:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The only narratively plausible place for a side quest in the core set campaign, though, is at the end, since the action takes place in the course of a single night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, the designer said:
Quote:
Technically no, you cannot go on a side story before starting a campaign, because you have no experience to spend.

That said, if you wanted to play it that way as a house-rule, nobody is stopping you. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer my friend....is blowin' in the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
A reasonable house rule is to start in "experience debt" and pay it back out of your earned points for the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
A reasonable house rule is to start in "experience debt" and pay it back out of your earned points for the scenario.

Though you may want to consider if a side story costs XP (1 for Rougarou, 3 for Venice) then those scenarios may cost a certain amount to encourage players to realize their difficulty level.

If a side scenario costs 3 XP, I'm going to assume it's not easy and they expect experienced characters who already have some upgrades.

If you do it with beginning characters, you just might dig yourself a trauma or curse burden that you'll carry the rest of the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
rsdockery wrote:

Though you may want to consider if a side story costs XP (1 for Rougarou, 3 for Venice) then those scenarios may cost a certain amount to encourage players to realize their difficulty level.

If a side scenario costs 3 XP, I'm going to assume it's not easy and they expect experienced characters who already have some upgrades.

If you do it with beginning characters, you just might dig yourself a trauma or curse burden that you'll carry the rest of the campaign!

Wouldn't it make more sense for LOWER xp cost side missions to be tougher, or to have smaller rewards?

Curse of the Rougarou is almost free, which to me indicates that you are likely to face some stiff challenges to maintain campaign balance.

Venice on the other hand costs 3 xp, the equivalent of all the rewards you might earn in an average scenario. So I would expect it to be easier and/or offer better potential rewards to make up for the upgrades I have lost by spending my 3 xp.

Not sure if that's how FFG did it, but that's how they SHOULD do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Not sure if that's how FFG did it, but that's how they SHOULD do it.

I'm not sure either. But it is Arkham Horror...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the main reason to play the PODs first (and with Experience Debt, as rsdockery suggests) is purely thematic - there just isn't any time in the middle of Night of the Zealot, and while Dunwich will certainly not be a single night, it doesn't look as though it'll have that much opportunity to go gallivanting around the world...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
For me, the main reason to play the PODs first (and with Experience Debt, as rsdockery suggests) is purely thematic - there just isn't any time in the middle of Night of the Zealot, and while Dunwich will certainly not be a single night, it doesn't look as though it'll have that much opportunity to go gallivanting around the world...

I agree for the core campaign, but Dunwich has already shown a long train journey in an expansion. Who knows where we'll go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
I agree for the core campaign, but Dunwich has already shown a long train journey in an expansion. Who knows where we'll go!

Presumably to Dunwich, one would hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:

Presumably to Dunwich, one would hope.

...but maybe Dunwich, Louisiana or Dunwich, Italy. The Essex County Express: Hurtling through time and space in comfort and convenience, and check out that dining car!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about playing (and finishing) the core set campaign and then just continue on with the just POD scenarios? This would create a potentially never ending campaign, representing the investigators starting to fight the mythos all over the world after their initial encounter in Arkham.

You could then run two different campaigns simultaneously:
- A global campaign, represented by the Core Set & the POD scenarios.
- A local campaign, represented by the Deluxe & Mythos pack scenarios.

One could probably find some house rules to retire investigators from the global campaign between each POD scenario if they've gotten too much banged up, or if you want to play another investigator, and instead bring in some of the new investigators which have now become exposed to the mythos during their local campaign (but only once they have actually finished their local campaign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I read in another thread (I can't remember which) that someone had played the POD scenarios as "flashbacks" between the Core Campaign Scenarios.

I think it could make sense, specially if accompanied by some thematic text.
I don't own any of the POD scenarios (Rugarou or Carnivale), but from what I've read, something like this could (maybe) fit:

1) After "The Gathering", before "The Midnight Masks":
"You step out into the city, covered by the darkness of the night. As you hear Lita talk about people conspirating behind masks, you can't help but remember that carnivale you spent in Venice, some time ago..."

2) After "The Midnight Masks", before "The Devourer Below":
"The eerie forest, and its dangers and strange sounds, surround you. You still get shivers after what that werewolf did to you back in the time. The drive by car to the outskirts of Arkham gives you plenty of time to remember it..."

As I said, I don't own the PODs and the text might not fit perfectly their theme. Also, english is not my first language, so take these only as ideas that could be printed in a card, before the official introduction to each POD Scenario.

Maybe the difficulties make this order unplayable (if the Carnivale is too difficult, specially), but that's something I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.