David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just drawn the Salonika event for the Western Allies, and of course moved a British army to the now opened Greece.

The rules say that a maximum of ONE Western Allies army is allowed in Greece. They also say that the Central Powers may only attack Greece if it contains a Western Allies army.

I was wondering how could I attack and advance with just one army from Greece -leaving my rearguard uncovered-, but if I understand the rules correctly, I could attack and advance with the British army -leaving Greece empty- because the Central Powers could not attack Greece, as there is not any enemy army there. Am I correct?

Thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Uhlmann
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Right. Until Greece is fully in the war, the CP may only attack Greece if a Western Allies army is there. Since part of Greece politically leaned towards Germany, the CP would not jeopardize the potential for an allied Greece by attacking them directly - but clashes on the borders against the Western Allies is possible. Attacking the WA army enough to force a retreat would bring Greece into the war, however (detailed among the many special rules in the Greece section).

Note that to maintain the "Salonika Open" status a WA army must be present in either Greece or Bulgaria (assuming the CP still control Serbia) and so the WA cannot venture far from Greece without potential consequences. The WA may be tempted to feed an invasion force through Greece and though this is possible, this will make it worthwhile for the CP to assemble a larger force against Greece when a new WA arrives in order to eliminate the flow and cut-off armies that have advanced outward. Ideally, there's a delicate balance for both sides in how to handle the Balkans.

Great question, as are any relating to Greece and Salonika.

Kirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer. As always, very complete and clear.

I think that your solution for Greece and the Balkans front is good. It is always difficult to reflect that theater in WWI, as it was a sideshow for both sides. It will be difficult for the Western Allies to launch an offensive, but it is feasible. And the Central Powers won't want to dedicate too much effort to that front. Unless -as you pointed out- there is a real menace.

As it happens with every especial situation, several exceptions and especial rules are needed. But in this case they are few and simple. Reading the rulebook -excellent rulebook by the way!- everything is well explained. I just wanted a clarification to be 100% sure that Greece cannot be attacked after Salonika event is played, as long as it is empty of Western Armies. And the conditions for closing Salonika must be taken into account, of course!

Great game!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.