Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of advertisements try to attract customers by saying things like:

"From the people who brought you Friday the 13th"

"From the director of Slumdog Millionaire"

"From the best-selling novel by Alistair MacLean"

"From the designer of Ticket to Ride"

"From the producers of Jersey Shore"

Is there a similar slogan (real or imagined) that would cause you to stay far, far away from whatever they were trying to sell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I'll know far before this line comes out in an add, but if I ever hear 'But wait, there's more!' I know I can stop listening (assuming I haven't already!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
From anybody responsible for any superhero movie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

From the world-class company that brought you the Zero...

(ok, ok, I'm a day late for December 7th, but I couldn't resist)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"From the participants of RSP"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"From the inventor of boiled okra..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the folks that brought you Pauly Shore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:

Is there a similar slogan (real or imagined) that would cause you to stay far, far away from whatever they were trying to sell?
With the possible exception of "from the best-selling novel by...", all of those statements tell me that whatever-it-is can't stand on its own and their only hope is to attract fans of some other thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Walt Disney Pictures... Yep I went there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Exactly what are the selling me from the novel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
joe_salamone wrote:

Anything that starts with "from the people who brought you...".

I don't care what else they've done, these are people paid to spray out as many products as possible. You have something of interest? Tell me about it, not everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:

Those recommendations on the backside of books are in the same league.

It is exemplary of our times, where it is easier to improve the image than to improve the actual product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:
It is exemplary of our times, where it is easier to improve the image than to improve the actual product.
I'm curious what period of history you think this wasn't true of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the mind of a certain orange "millionaire."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:

Anytime where marketing was not a 'science'. Yeah, you had those guys selling life elixer.

Ever seen an ad like below.

================================
Vikings
"They're fast and furious. They come at your house. To plunder ... and to rape your women"

"They are ... Vikings.

================================
The Vikings were fast and furious. They came at your house and actually rape your women. What you see is what you get.

You could pick any example. Even one with indians or cowboys.

Now I buy a book with on the backside recommendations from the New York Times and the Washington Post. And what I read is crap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much anything having to do with Jersey Shore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:

Anytime where marketing was not a 'science'.
Well I'm not really sure what time period that covers. But I'm fairly certain that as long as people have been around this has been a problem. It's usually easier to make something look better than it is to make it actually better. And I don't give any credence to the idea that man was particularly better in the distant past than he is today.

I bet if you visited an ancient market 2,000 years ago, there'd be hawkers trying to convince you that their products were better because they came from distant lands. Or that some cure-all was effective because it included a piece of the shroud of a famous saint. Or that their knives came from the forge of a famous armorer.

Don't believe for a second that this is anything new. There have always been greedy people and there have always been gullible people. You'd have to be a fool to think that this hasn't always been the way of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"From Uwe Boll, the director of 'In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale,' comes..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:

Well I'm not really sure what time period that covers. But I'm fairly certain that as long as people have been around this has been a problem. It's usually easier to make something look better than it is to make it actually better. And I don't give any credence to the idea that man was particularly better in the distant past than he is today.

I bet if you visited an ancient market 2,000 years ago, there'd be hawkers trying to convince you that their products were better because they came from distant lands. Or that some cure-all was effective because it included a piece of the shroud of a famous saint. Or that their knives came from the forge of a famous armorer.

Don't believe for a second that this is anything new. There have always been greedy people and there have always been gullible people. You'd have to be a fool to think that this hasn't always
been the way of the world.

Nice plea, but we are not discussing human nature here. I agree with some, but not with others.

We are talking about the fact that we have 'sciences' like marketing, PR, psychology, mass-media, image, spokesmen, advertisement ... etc. Truthfullness is no longer a virtue. The image is relatvely more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking

Translation:

"From the people who brought you that reindeer carcass last week..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:

Don't believe for a second that this is anything new. There have always been greedy people and there have always been gullible people. You'd have to be a fool to think that this hasn't always

Nice plea, but we are not discussing human nature here. I agree with some, but not with others.

We are talking about the fact that we have 'sciences' like marketing, PR, psychology, mass-media, image, spokesmen, advertisement ... etc. Truthfullness is no longer a virtue. The image is relatvely more important.
And if you believe that it was ever any different, then I've got a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablito A
msg tools
mb
From the people that brought you the 1040 Form...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
anemaat wrote:

And if you believe that it was ever any different, then I've got a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you.

How much? ... And I want a certificate!

hundred years ago coffee was sold from a big bag of beans. Now I can choose from dozens of types of coffee. They say they don't sell me coffee, but an experience. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
Exactly what are the selling me from the novel?

Usually, a movie based on the novel.

"From the best-selling novel by Alistair MacLean: Gregory Peck, starring in The Guns of Navarone."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Get off my lawn wrote:
From the people that brought you the 1040 Form...

You know, of all the IRS stuff, the 1040 is pretty clean. But then I suppose "Better than the other stuff they made" isn't exactly high praise. Considering they're dealing with Congress's whims, though, I feel like their forms aren't so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.