Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I ask this question because I have not yet reached the point where I'm playing this way but expect I eventually will. And I'm wondering if the setup process seems to be as laborious and time consuming as it sounds from reading the rulebook. When this game reaches wide scale release, I would expect this to be a very popular question at some point down the line.

I also wonder how practical it might be to come up with some standard scenarios that specifically define what every player's board looks like (and what the tile layout is) for a game starting in a particular era. And I almost wonder if that might not be a better way to start in a future era as I would expect it to have an extremely positive effect on said setup time.

The idea that every player starts with the same player board, say, starting with Era 2 (or even Era 3) doesn't sound like a major negative to me as it would help to keep end game scoring close and, after all, every player starts with the same player board for a regular game starting in Era 1, so why not start with the same board for a game beginning with Era 2 or 3?

Just blue skying here and wondering if others have thought about this or tried it out. Would you think this might be a good alternative to the starting-in-a-later-round rules as described in the rulebook? Or might there be another, better way to expedite the setup of such a game?

I can imagine that expert players wouldn't have a problem following the rules as described but I'd be concerned that a mix of experienced and non-experienced players might seriously and adversely affect the performance and enjoyment of the game by a player who maybe doesn't set up his or her board as optimally as someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a game starting in Era 2 twice now, and set-up took as long as playing Era 1 would have taken. I think this will get quicker when you do it more often, but for now it takes quite long.

Last time, we ended up with exactly the same buildings on our player board, so having a standard set-up would certainly not hurt. We plan to have a standard set-up for everyone when we play with less experienced players so that set-up won't take as long.

However, I do think that the buildings you want can differ based on the colonies that are in play. Therefore, I think that a standard set-up is best as a starting point, and that people should be free to exchange buildings for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could have a basic set of buildings everyone gets and then allow players to buy the rest with a much reduced number of points to allow for differentiation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play solo and when I do, I always start in Era 2. Setting up my player board takes about 5 minutes. Setting up the hex tiles for Era 1 takes about as long as for Era 0, so about another 5 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
garry_rice wrote:
One could have a basic set of buildings everyone gets and then allow players to buy the rest with a much reduced number of points to allow for differentiation.

I really like this idea Garry. Also, by having limited differentiation for some variability, less experienced players wouldn't go too far astray with their starting player board in comparison to that of a more experienced player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I mostly play solo and when I do, I always start in Era 2. Setting up my player board takes about 5 minutes. Setting up the hex tiles for Era 1 takes about as long as for Era 0, so about another 5 minutes.

I definitely agree that for purposes of arranging the main tiles, this method would make a lot of sense and wouldn't take too much longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Anny48 wrote:
I've played a game starting in Era 2 twice now, and set-up took as long as playing Era 1 would have taken. I think this will get quicker when you do it more often, but for now it takes quite long.

Last time, we ended up with exactly the same buildings on our player board, so having a standard set-up would certainly not hurt. We plan to have a standard set-up for everyone when we play with less experienced players so that set-up won't take as long.

However, I do think that the buildings you want can differ based on the colonies that are in play. Therefore, I think that a standard set-up is best as a starting point, and that people should be free to exchange buildings for others.

Thanks Annemarie. When you do decide to go with a standard set-up, I would like to encourage you to share what that standard set-up was. That way, over time, we could mutually arrive at some good starting points.

I agree with your comment about Colonies and think that your suggestion (as well as Garry's recommendation in his post) does make a lot of sense. Though taken to the next level, I can almost envision a standard set of 8-12 scenarios where each scenario dictates which Colonies to play with and what buildings (for the most part) to start with. Then, all you'd have to do is shuffle the scenario cards (or roll a d8 or d12, for that matter) to determine which scenario you're going to play with.

Granted, 8-12 scenarios doesn't cover every possible combination of Colonies (I think there's something like 126 different possibilities), but it would serve as a reasonable compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.