Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
Hi,

First of all, this is my first post so... Hi everybody!

This is another game recommendation request, and not a very original one at that! I’ve waded through the geeklists and forum but would still like some help / opinions.

I play games with my girlfriend; we got three euros from amazon.de and have been playing 2 to 4 times a week. We have enjoyed all three games which are:

Carcassonne, (now) with Inns and Cathedrals; we are yet to add Traders and Builders which we also got at the time;
Thurn und Taxis;
Elasund.

We are now ready for our second order.
I ploughed through all the German gaming stores and decided on playme.de for the next order due to the availability of:
Through the Desert;
Goa;
Carcassonne: The Tower (probably get the River II expansion as well);
Alhambra.

I have been looking long and hard at Attika too, but after seeing it at €12 at spiele-offensive.de, I’m not very happy about paying nearly double that at playme!... I’ll probably use that as an excuse for our next order.

At this point I must mention that although my girlfriend enjoys playing, she will never (ever!) be a geek and I will be always be the person that buys, chooses, etc, the games.

Well, if you’ve got this far, my request is for a game or two that:
Play(s) well with two (playing with more will be a very rare occurrence);
Is / are language independent (neither of us speaks german!);
Use(s) different mechanics from the ones we’ve already got / are getting (except card games: I used to play Magic: The Gathering and cards are something that there’s no lack of around here!).

Also, if you know of any game that is dirt cheap at playme.de, I would be quite willing to take a gamble!

Thanks for any ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon. Awesome game for 2 people. Plays quick and always leaves you wanting more.

Hey! That's My Fish is a great one too. Chicks dig penguins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Garcia
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Blender!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon is an excellent game (which I've been playing quite a bit lately, actually) but since you said you didn't want card games, I'd pass on that. I would recommend:

Palazzo - it's similar to Alhambra, I suppose, though I enjoy it more because it ties more fun mechanisms together, and works quickly and well with two.

Aton - An interesting 2-player game about influencing four different temples with lots of scoring options.

Rumis - A fun abstract game which is easy to play, fairly short, and doesn't tax the mind like some other abstract games do. Plus it comes with this cool rotating base that you can spin to look at what you're building from any angle.

Hansa - A bit more dry than the other suggestions, but works very well with two and the mechanics are clean-cut and efficient, which I always like in a game. A bit more elegant, therefore, than the previous three suggestions.

Well, I hope that helps a bit. I'm one who almost always plays just two-player, so I understand your need. If you ever do decide to try card games, then there's plenty of those for 2, also. Just ask around again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I agree with any of the recommendations, although I like your choices including liking Attika for two. Hard to know exactly what to get not knowing your gaming tastes, but some other options for two are....

Caylus -- deep resource acquisition and building. Hard.

Blokus -- pure abstract everyone likes. Works well with 4 also.

Saint Petersburg -- economic game that is mostly a card game

Careers --- roll and move children's game, but fun anyway

Eurorails (or other crayon rail games) --- works well if there is a longer time slot. Pick up and deliver goods between cities on your rail network to make money.

Jambo --- economic game and maybe two cardgamey for you

To Court the King --- Dice game of acquiring abilities that is relatively light but does have some strategy to it.

Ra --- Pure auction game that works fine for 2.

Tigris & Euphrates --- territory building game. Sort of. Deep game belonging in any serious gamer's collection.

Yspahan --- fun lighter building game that uses dice to select available actions. Serious contender for this year's Spiel des Jahres

I omitted an entire large category of two player games --- the wargames --- assuming that those weren't wanted. Some of them are quite interesting as games though.

Happy to answer questions on any of the above games or suggest others if these don't seem right to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kingsley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like Catan Card Game. My wife rates this as her favourite game, all multi-player games included. I say it is a very good two player game its only minus is that it can take up to two hours. And I suppose you could argue that this is a card game.

Another favourite is Lost Cities. Short. Brutal. A card game.

We have also enjoyed Alhambra. Not a card game. To be fair we have only played Palazzo a couple of times and never as two players so I cannot really compare them for you.

I suspect if you wait long enough your list of recommendations will get quite long! Good luck with your order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
PlayMe.de have a useful Offer/Angebote section - potentially interesting items at present include:

Alexandros (5.12 euros)
Carolus Magnus (13.95 euros)
Die Pyramiden des Jaguar (7.65 euros)
Through the Desert (16.87 euros)
M (7.13 euros)
Phoenix (10.21 euros)
Razzia! (6.10 euros)

All the above work fine as 2 player, and all are language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
Thanks for the suggestions (so far? ) and friendly advice. I appreciate it.

Comments regarding some of the suggested games:

Tigris & Euphrates / Caylus: Definitely going to get them, but probably not just yet. I think we'll settle for Goa as the more complex game for the time being.

Aton: I am intrigued and will probably add it to the order. From what I read it did seem terribly simple though. It’s cheap, so…

Hansa: I think it would appeal to me more than Aton, but Aton seems more novel than Hansa.

Palazzo / Alhambra: I think I’ll stick with the more popular Alhambra; Playme also has the international version for the same price as the German one: its going to be nice to be able to finally read something that’s on or in a game box!

Lost Cities: I will order volumes 3 and 4 of George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire saga from amazon.de in a short while and will get it then.

Alexandros: I don’t know what to think about this one. Some people really seem to loath it! Due to its low price, its probably in, at least to get my own opinion!

Dave, although I didn’t mention it, I too assumed that wargames weren’t wanted; apparently I was wrong, as I was showing this thread to my girlfriend when she told me that wargames are fine by her! How about that! (btw, I don’t see it being a theme I like very much, but a few wargames do seem interesting game-wise). Our next order, after this one, will probably include a wargame too.

Just one more thing: chicks dig little plastic pastel coloured camels too

Cheers! Thanks once again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots is a fine choice of wargame that isn't too complex and might appeal to someone who is not a hardcore wargamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the more expensive side: Memoir '44 and Samurai.

Samurai plays great with 2-4 players, for some reason it appeals to me although I am more of a dungeon crawl guy, and that I think shows its wide appeal.

Since you mention wargames, I had to mention Memoir'44. My wife refused to play wargames, but at last I got her to try this one and it was a hit! Quick and fun, great bits too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hammer of Scots looked really nice but it isn't available at playme (I also tried a bunch of other german stores without any luck). After taking a look at quite a large number of wargames, the other one that I liked the look of, apart from Hammer of Scots, was Commands & Colors: Ancients, which seems a little too much for us atm; Memoir '44 doesn't look like our cup of tea.

As for Samurai... looks like a fantastic game but also quite similar (and better?) to Carcassonne, which we already have. Maybe I am wrong?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play almost exclusively with my wife and our list of games is:
Starship Catan - my absolute favorite game for 2 players, unfortunately my wife does not enjoy it much (because of the space theme, maybe?)

Lost Cities - my wife loves this one, I am lukewarm about it; too much luck

Blue Moon - semi-CCG, fun, rule-altering mechanics and it comes with 3 colorful plastic dragons!!

Puerto Rico - we just played this for the first time the other night and it's a lot of fun for both of us

Nexus Ops - think (Mission) Risk but with working rules Pretty bits and fast paced. Buy it while it's still on sale for $10.

Lost Patrol - Very quick tile placing / fighting game for two but (intentionally) unbalanced. Good filler game.

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie - excellent bits and a healthy amount of strategy. The long setup time is a downer but other than that works well with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram Schvey
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend Twilight Struggle. My girlfriend and I have played more than a dozen games over the past couple of months and still really enjoy it. It looks terribly difficult at first -- but don't worry -- it's actually quite simple. The game is great -- it has a very strong theme (Cold War -- U.S. versus U.S.S.R.), a good mix of skill and luck (both from the cards and the dice), and can be played in 2-3 hours. We both enjoy it tremendously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa is a very good 2p game, although a little bit more involved than the other games in your list and it is language independent. It could be a nice step forward in your evolution and I highly recommend it.

Blue Moon City is also a nice game which I've been playing a lot lately that works very well for 2p. Its older brother Blue Moon, of course, is also a good choice especially if you have an CCG background as it seems to be the case.

Mykerinos is an area majority (a mechanic that is lacking in your collection) and works very well with only 2 players unlike most of the other titles that share the same mechanic. Plus, it is relatively cheap on playme.de.

Alhambra is also a nice area majority game that works well with 2 players and is little less involved (and perhaps more girlfriend friendly). Plus, if you like it, you can buy a lot of expansions for it.

[EDIT]: forgot to mention my most played game ever, Roma! It's cheap, it's 2 player only and it's a very nice game! If you decide to get it, make sure you're buying the international edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG sir!

I recommend Dynasties. One of my favorite 2 player games.
(Disclaimer: I do the site for the owner of Jolly Roger Games - publisher of Dynasties. I write this, just so that you are aware. I am not a fan of his other games, but Dynasties is a really cool 2 player game.)

Also add me to the recommendation of Hammer of the Scots (though I think Crusader Rex is a little better - same base rules, just a couple of additions).

Settlers of Catan card game is another good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks once again for all the recommendations.

Some comments:

Catan games: We’ve played Settlers before and have Elasund, so we’ll probably be steering away from Cantan games atm. The space theme shouldn’t be a problem, btw. I have been successful in the past regarding that theme (Farscape actually became one of her favourite tv series! );
Lost Cities: I’m already convinced that this is the ultimate wife/girlfriend game This is the only card game I see us getting for now (she is quite intimidated by the fact that we have so many Magic cards and that I played it for quite a long a time, although I did quit over 7 few years ago);
Puerto Rico: Is it really worth getting for two? In the rare occasions that we’ll be able to play with more people, I don’t really see this being a very solid option (due to being a little more complex). In any case, I have fallen in love with Roborally, which would be my first choice for a multi-player game!
Twilight Struggle / Crusader Rex: Both of them look great, but I’m not ready to commit so much money in one game atm; plus, see below...
Mykerinos: Thanks for the tip Pedro but after you said that Alhambra was more girlfriend-friendly... I don’t think I have to explain!
Roma: Great idea; alas, it’s out of stock at playme. Maybe next time;
Dinasties: Looks interesting but unfortunately its not available at playme (which is probably just as well...);

Yesterday I finally made my final list of games to get, which included my original list, except Carcassonne: The Tower, and a few others recommended here (Aton, Alexandros, etc). I also ended up including Tigris & Euphrates too as I told myself “What the hell, I’ll convince her to play sooner or later!”
I added up the prices of all the games and was quite horror shocked to find out that if I went ahead with the order as intended, I would probably be trying to convince my girlfriend not to kick me out of bed instead of persuading her to a play a game or two

Btw, thanks for the welcome, Jeremy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.