Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiwook Kim
South Korea
Yongin
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I have a question about the rules.

First, to be clear, I haven't played any of these games. I just bought Order of the Gilded Compass and punched out the cardboard pieces.

As I read the rules of Alea Iacta Est and Order of the Gilded Compass, I noticed a change in how Senate/Auction House/Treasure Hunters Guild works.

In Alea Iacta Est, only the highest straight gets the reward in a 2 player game, while in Order of the Gilded Compass, highest and 2nd highest straight gets the reward, which means both the players get the rewards in a 2 player game.

Why is this changed? To be more precise, would it hurt the game if we played the game as the old way? Because only the 1st player getting the rewards seems like a good idea to bring competition to the A tiles. If I would play the game as the rules suggested now, I wouldn't bother much about A tiles and concentrate on other places, unless I get a really good straight from the start.

Maybe the game is balanced to award the player with the highest straights...?

Thank you for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
In this one you have neutral dice both players may play on their turn.
So there's no guarantee that both players will get the reward since one of you can place dice so that they other doesn't get 1st place (or 2nd place)

That would be my guess why it was changed in this version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiwook Kim
South Korea
Yongin
flag msg tools
mb
belial1134 wrote:
In this one you have neutral dice both players may play on their turn.
So there's no guarantee that both players will get the reward since one of you can place dice so that they other doesn't get 1st place (or 2nd place)

That would be my guess why it was changed in this version

Well, I understand that. But I really HATE using neutral dice in these kinds of games cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
clarity86 wrote:
Well, I understand that. But I really HATE using neutral dice in these kinds of games cry

Possible solution: Play with the Alea Iacta Est rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
clarity86 wrote:

Between the two, I do think the neutral dice make Order of the Gilded Compass better with just 2 players, but I don't feel either is a strong game with only 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiwook Kim
South Korea
Yongin
flag msg tools
mb
SaltyHorse wrote:
clarity86 wrote:

I was afraid if it would hurt the game experience. Well, I should try playing that way!

belial1134 wrote:
Between the two, I do think the neutral dice make Order of the Gilded Compass better with just 2 players, but I don't feel either is a strong game with only 2.

I bought this game to mainly play with my friends who play board games, but my girlfriend really likes dice games, so I was curious if it would work with us two.

Maybe I should look for another dice game to play with her if that's the case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
clarity86 wrote:
SaltyHorse wrote:
clarity86 wrote:

I was afraid if it would hurt the game experience. Well, I should try playing that way!

belial1134 wrote:

I bought this game to mainly play with my friends who play board games, but my girlfriend really likes dice games, so I was curious if it would work with us two.

Maybe I should look for another dice game to play with her if that's the case...

There are tons of excellent 2 player dice games out there

I'd say Gilded Compass is great with 4 or even 5 (turns go pretty quick so very little downtime)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.